Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
Re: Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions [#permalink]
hi UBCMBA,
thanks for the reply. it is great talking to a univ rep.
however, i have some more questions.
1. for granting scholarships, how are the students judged. by their gmat score or ug performance?
2.i heard that univ. of toronto has tie-ups with local banks, so an international student can apply for
loan without providing any collateral.do sauder students have any such option?
3.how long can i search for a job after completing the course?
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Kudos
vinzycoolfire: We’re happy to answer any questions you have, so keep them coming!

1. Students are actually judged on a combination of factors. Scholarships are awarded to students with high levels of academic, professional and personal experience. Entrance scholarships are awarded to the most outstanding 25% of incoming students each year. We recommend that you refer to the competitive recommendations outlined in the attached chart as a starting point.

Also, you may be interested to know that additional merit-based awards with values of up to $5,000 are offered throughout the program.

2. Our senior admissions officer, who will be able to answer this question, is away sick today so we’ll look into this and provide you with an answer by Monday.

3. We’re not clear what you mean by this question. Could you please elaborate? Thanks!
Attachments

File comment: UBC Full-Time MBA Admission Requirements
UBC Full-Time MBA Admission Requirements.docx [86.46 KiB]
Downloaded 238 times

Bookmarks
Hi vinzycoolfire,

We spoke with our senior admissions officer and she recommends that you contact UBC Student Financial Assistance at +1 (604) 822-5111 in regards to your question about student loans.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
hi UBCMBA,
thanks for the valuable inputs.
the third point that i would require clarification is that if i don't get a job i like at the time of course completion, how long after course completion can i stay in canada before i find the right job?
hi vinzycoolfire,

International students can apply for a post-graduation work permit after completion of their studies. If a student studies in a program that is designed for two years or longer, the student can have a work permit for three years after graduation. For students who study in a program for less than two years, the length of the work permit will be determined by the length of the program. For UBC MBA students, they usually receive a permit for three years.
For detailed information about post-graduation work permits, please visit www.students.ubc.ca/international/inter ... rk-permits
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi, I am Armenian male logistics professional with over 8 years of experience and am considering sauder mba or ms in business administration ( majoring logistics) . Could you please point major strengts and weaknesses of two programs MBA and ms in ba compared each to other?
Kudos
Hi vito24,

Thanks for your inquiry. The major difference between our MBA and MSc in Business Administration is that the MSc is aimed at students interested in research and is designed to prepare them for a PhD program and a subsequent career in academia. The MBA program is intended for students who want to shape their careers and succeed in the world of business. So the program that will be the best fit for you depends on whether you want to work in academia or business down the road. Please let us know if you have further questions about either of the programs.

vito24 wrote:
Hi, I am Armenian male logistics professional with over 8 years of experience and am considering sauder mba or ms in business administration ( majoring logistics) . Could you please point major strengts and weaknesses of two programs MBA and ms in ba compared each to other?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Hi UBCMBA,

I had a couple of questions:

1. In choosing a career track, i.e. Entrepreneurship, Consulting etc., are students only allowed to take fixed courses? Can students pick and choose courses across career tracks that they think would best allow them to get their dream job post-grad?

EDIT: To elaborate --> I note that there are specific electives that are shown for each track. Can for example, a Finance track student take elective courses from the Consulting & Strategy Management track electives?

2. Besides the internship, do students have the opportunity to take up part-time jobs on-campus or in Vancouver? By this I mean jobs that require up to 20 hours/week. Does UBC have graduate assistantships (or similar) for MBA students?

Thank you!
Kudos
Hi westsidah408,

Thanks very much for your inquiry. The answers to your questions follow below. If you would like to know more, please don't hesitate to contact us by email at mba@sauder.ubc.ca.

1. Students do not have to declare their career track at the beginning of the program, so they are able to take courses in different tracks before they focus on one. If you visit the following link and click on the "Career Tracks" tab, you can see the list of required modules and the electives for each track: https://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Program_Overview/Curriculum

2. In the full-time MBA, it will be a very intense 16 months – especially at the start of the program. We encourage our MBAs to focus on their studies, but a minority of our students work during the program and have successfully balanced their job and school work. If you enroll in the part-time MBA program, classes take place during the weekend so you would still be able to work full-time.

3. Because of the intensity of the program we don't recommend that students work during the program, and therefore do not offer teaching assistant positions or similar.

westsidah408 wrote:
Hi UBCMBA,

1. In choosing a career track, i.e. Entrepreneurship, Consulting etc., are students only allowed to take fixed courses? Can students pick and choose courses across career tracks that they think would best allow them to get their dream job post-grad?

EDIT: To elaborate --> I note that there are specific electives that are shown for each track. Can for example, a Finance track student take elective courses from the Consulting & Strategy Management track electives?

2. Besides the internship, do students have the opportunity to take up part-time jobs on-campus or in Vancouver? By this I mean jobs that require up to 20 hours/week. Does UBC have graduate assistantships (or similar) for MBA students?

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
UBCMBA wrote:
Hi westsidah408,

Thanks very much for your inquiry. The answers to your questions follow below. If you would like to know more, please don't hesitate to contact us by email at mba@sauder.ubc.ca.

1. Students do not have to declare their career track at the beginning of the program, so they are able to take courses in different tracks before they focus on one. If you visit the following link and click on the "Career Tracks" tab, you can see the list of required modules and the electives for each track: https://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Program_Overview/Curriculum

2. In the full-time MBA, it will be a very intense 16 months – especially at the start of the program. We encourage our MBAs to focus on their studies, but a minority of our students work during the program and have successfully balanced their job and school work. If you enroll in the part-time MBA program, classes take place during the weekend so you would still be able to work full-time.

3. Because of the intensity of the program we don't recommend that students work during the program, and therefore do not offer teaching assistant positions or similar.

westsidah408 wrote:
Hi UBCMBA,

Thank you!

Hi UBCMBA,

Thanks for answering my questions. After checking the individual career tracks in more detail and I now realize I was merely a little confused when I first looked at it. Thank you for the clarification.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
when to exppect interview invite after submit application?
Stachen wrote:
when to exppect interview invite after submit application?

Hi Stachen,
It depends on several factors. Our recommendation would be to email us at mba@sauder.ubc.ca about your specific situation and we can provide you with a more comprehensive answer. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello
I got through the program for the Fall 2013 term. I was told that the scholarship structure is being revamped.
By when will I come to know if I will be getting a scholarship from the school?
Thanks
Hi arjunpisharody,

Would you mind emailing us directly at mba@sauder.ubc.ca so we can look into this for you? Thank you kindly!

arjunpisharody wrote:
Hello
I got through the program for the Fall 2013 term. I was told that the scholarship structure is being revamped.
By when will I come to know if I will be getting a scholarship from the school?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
any loan for indi
an?

Posted from my mobile device
Hi Inrocks,

For information on loans, scholarships and other forms of financial assistance, please visit https://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Admissions/Scholarships_Awards_and_Financial_Assistance

Inrocks wrote:
any loan for indi
an?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts