Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [26]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [7]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [5]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [1]
Send PM
Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink]
Bookmarks
IMO: C

In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern Europe, formed the earliest anarchist parties in the United States, but most Americans became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886.

A) became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886
B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred
C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
D) developed concerns about the movement only after the time of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
E) developed concern about the movement only after there being the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
umeshpatil wrote:
IMO: C

In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern Europe, formed the earliest anarchist parties in the United States, but most Americans became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886.

A) became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886
B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred
C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
D) developed concerns about the movement only after the time of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
E) developed concern about the movement only after there being the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886

I second that..
As per the Manhattan Sentence Correction guide..
sentences with 'being' should be generally avoided in GMAT..
I had confusion between C and E...
the 'being' factor helped me to eliminate E...hence, picked C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
rohitgupta86 wrote:
I second that..
As per the Manhattan Sentence Correction guide..
sentences with 'being' should be generally avoided in GMAT..
I had confusion between C and E...
the 'being' factor helped me to eliminate E...hence, picked C

@rohitgupta86, thanks for showing me evil spirit of 'being' :x Its good idea to eliminate the option.
I chose C because, Preposition after should be followed by an event that indicates specific point of time i.e. Occurrence. Its awkward to read after there being..riot
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
yes OA is C.

Can somebody explain me what is exactly wrong with B ? I really don't see
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
umeshpatil wrote:
Jackouille wrote:
yes OA is C.

Hi Jackouille,
Option B make the second part of sentence as below.
Americans became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred

Don't you think the line seems bit awkward? Action in the sentence has happened after 1886 as well as after Riot. Both are connected by comma. When two sentences are connected by when (as conjunction), we don't use comma between them.

umeshpatil,

I am not really seeing it either, are you indicating that the awkwardness occurs that the people only became concerned after the year 1886, which is somewhat bizarre to refer to an event in the scope of an entire year? I feel that the sentence following correctly modifies the year telling the reader what happened that year that made people become concerned with the movement.

Any clarification helps.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Send PM
umeshpatil wrote:
Jackouille wrote:
yes OA is C.

Hi Jackouille,
Americans became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred

Don't you think the line seems bit awkward? Action in the sentence has happened after 1886 as well as after Riot. Both are connected by comma. When two sentences are connected by when (as conjunction), we don't use comma between them.

thx for your answer but I still don't get the point here. "when the bloody Haymarket occured" modifies the year 1886 so it seems compeltely legit to me. Especially, I don't see why C would correct the problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Jackouille wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:
Jackouille wrote:
yes OA is C.

Hi Jackouille,

thx for your answer but I still don't get the point here. "when the bloody Haymarket occured" modifies the year 1886 so it seems compeltely legit to me. Especially, I don't see why C would correct the problem.

The real problem is the intent. If you see the main sentence(A) it says that .............. the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886 and after that the movement.
B says............... only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred
This gives meaning that ...........movement gets attention when the bloody riot occurred not the original meaning after riot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
The original sentence states that Americans developed concerns about the movement only after the Riot of 1886. The sentence does not exactly state the year when these concerns developed, it only provides information on the year when the riot occurred

B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred :- this option although grammatically correct changes the meaning of the original sentence, in addition to telling when the riots occurred it also tells you when American`s developed concerns

C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886 :- this option corrects the meaning change in option B, by shifting the preposition in 1886 after occurrence to correctly modify only the occurrence of riots
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern [#permalink]
Darmody wrote:

I am little bit skeptical about the OA...

I chose B..

C luks good too.. bt will any one explain y B is wrong here??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
sanjoo wrote:
I chose B..

C luks good too.. bt will any one explain y B is wrong here??

The riot actually occurred in 1886. But according to B, the riot occurred (at an unspecified time) after 1886.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
I chose B but on second thought, C seems more reasonable.

B should be "when the bloody Haymarket Riot had occurred"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Experts Chetan / veritable / egmat/ mgmat / magoosh plz help me in understanding why option B is incorrect and why option C is correct.
Thanks

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
While I am not an expert but sharing my thought process....

B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred. This option seems to imply that the people became concerned only after the year 1886. Meaning wise - at any time in the year 1887 or later. "when....occurred" is providing additional details about a particular event in the year 1886.
C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886. In this option, the people became concerned after the occurrence of the riots that happened in 1886. This seems more logical to me - the event or occurrence of the riots is the time marker after which people became concerned.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Darmody wrote:

The meaning of the sentence is that Americans became concerned about some movements after some riots, and there were riots happened to in 1886.

Out of B and C. C is the right option for below reasons:-

B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred.
This sentence says that movement occurred after 1886 and this is the time when some riots occurred. If we notice, more importance is given to the 'time' here and not to the 'riots'

C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886.
C depicts the meaning that we are looking for. It says that Americans became concerned after the riots, which happened to occur in 1886.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
Sentence says "...formed the earliest anarchist parties in the United States...", so emphasis is made to time.

I think B is logical choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Temurkhon

I think none of the previous explanations actually gets the point here..

IMO the reason why option B is incorrect is that in the sentence "Most Americans became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred" the word when modifies the year 1886, which is grammatically incorrect.

Whencan be an adverb, conjunction, pronoun, and noun. "I will move my car when ready." (adverb), "Please move you car when you are asked to do so." (conjunction), "I need to move the car by when?" (pronoun), and in rarer form, "What does the 'when' mean in your notice, about moving the car when it's necessary?" (noun)

Accordingly, "when" should be used in place of "1886", and should not modify it. If we wanted to correctly modify the year "1886" we should say something like:

Most Americans became concerned about the movement only after 1886, in which year the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred

Hope it helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts