Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink]
alpa212 wrote:
Just got the contact info and details on the interview! Does anyone have any insights as to what the 5 minutes presentation would be like? My position on a world issue? A case study of some sort?

Same. Although I haven't gotten a response yet.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
LiverpoolFC wrote:

Reqest someone's advise...

Well, R3 isn't the last round, there's also R4. It depends on how strong of an applicant you are. I'd suggest posting your profile in admission consultant part of the forum and see what they say.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kblade wrote:
alpa212 wrote:
Just got the contact info and details on the interview! Does anyone have any insights as to what the 5 minutes presentation would be like? My position on a world issue? A case study of some sort?

There seem to be quite a few questions related to the 5-min presentation, so I can provide some guidance based on my interview. The interviewer has a choice of 5-6 topics of which he/she will select one and hand over to you to read and prepare a small presentation. The interviewer will generally leave you alone for a few minutes to prep for it. From what I understand, the intent is to see how well the applicant can put together a structured response to the given topic/situation, add examples from their knowledge/experience and orally present it in a few minutes. Don’t worry too much about it – the topics are not difficult. I cannot reveal the topics and I do not know all the topics either, but they could be variations of recent world issues or a business situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
torontogmat wrote:
kblade wrote:
alpa212 wrote:

There seem to be quite a few questions related to the 5-min presentation, so I can provide some guidance based on my interview. The interviewer has a choice of 5-6 topics of which he/she will select one and hand over to you to read and prepare a small presentation. The interviewer will generally leave you alone for a few minutes to prep for it. From what I understand, the intent is to see how well the applicant can put together a structured response to the given topic/situation, add examples from their knowledge/experience and orally present it in a few minutes. Don’t worry too much about it – the topics are not difficult. I cannot reveal the topics and I do not know all the topics either, but they could be variations of recent world issues or a business situation.

Thanks totontogmat! could you clarify if the topics come with elaborate background information or is it just a short topic eg: EU crisis? What is someone is completely unaware of the topic (Like i read this topic of UN passports.. which by itself i have no clue about!)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The topics usually come with a 4-5 line description.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
torontogmat wrote:
The topics usually come with a 4-5 line description.

thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Any impressions about interviews ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
If any body can share their interview experience, I would greatly appreciate it. Particularly interested in the LBS case question, format, answer expectations etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.53
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The interview was in the alumnus' office and lasted about and hour and a half. He was very pleasant and made sure that I am comfortable, unlike the other interview I recently had.

The first part was a general discussion of what my criteria's for choosing the right program are. There were a number of the typical questions asked within the conversation, but everything was asked over the course of the discussion, not by itself.

The presentation was actually much easier than I expected. There were a number of topics that he choose from, but all were related to recent events and were not at all surprising if you have kept up with the business news over the last 2-3 weeks.

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I feel that I learned quite a bit about the school. Now the long wait until March 28 begins...

PM me with any questions...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
Can anybody shed some light on their interview experience? Particularly the "topic sharing" portion where they give you a topic on which you have to share your opinion. A current student told me they give you a topic, you have a few minutes to prepare, and then must share your opinion regarding the same in a concise and effective manner. Can somebody elaborate on that specifically?

what you described is pretty much it. You are given a topic that the interviewer has chosen and you need to pick a side and defend it in a presentation.

if you look on the ClearAdmit Wiki, you'll find some mentions of past topics, but in my opinion there's really no way to prepare for it except by just being informed (e.g., reading the paper, paying attention to the news, developing your public speaking skills, etc.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:
Can anybody shed some light on their interview experience? Particularly the "topic sharing" portion where they give you a topic on which you have to share your opinion. A current student told me they give you a topic, you have a few minutes to prepare, and then must share your opinion regarding the same in a concise and effective manner. Can somebody elaborate on that specifically?

what you described is pretty much it. You are given a topic that the interviewer has chosen and you need to pick a side and defend it in a presentation.

if you look on the ClearAdmit Wiki, you'll find some mentions of past topics, but in my opinion there's really no way to prepare for it except by just being informed (e.g., reading the paper, paying attention to the news, developing your public speaking skills, etc.)

This area is a bit tricky and different level people will look at different things.

If you are with a lower level people, technical people, 'frog in the well', etc. they will expect so called hard data. These people can not see much beyond what is shown to them. And their arrogance make them believe that their version is the only truth!!

On the contrary, if you are with matured senior level people, they will look at your concept and fundamental knowledge. They are least bothered about what is the NASDAQ today, but they will more look into links between some event at Apple and change in NASDAQ. How you explain, co-relate and argue, basically your intelligence, fundamental knowledge, conceptual knowledge, etc.

It is different levels all together. Second category has the capability to seamlessly move between first and second category .... but the first category can not understand the second category.

In an interviews, you have to very quickly identify which category the interviewer falls and you have to tune your frequency accordingly.

If you fail to identify that, then you are doomed. If the interviewer does not fall in any of the category (i.e. completely dumb!) then also you are gone!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
kblade wrote:
LiverpoolFC wrote:

Well, R3 isn't the last round, there's also R4. It depends on how strong of an applicant you are. I'd suggest posting your profile in admission consultant part of the forum and see what they say.

Same question bothering me... want to give one shot at a top 10 school... but still thinking
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Victorinox wrote:
kblade wrote:
LiverpoolFC wrote:

Same question bothering me... want to give one shot at a top 10 school... but still thinking

guys, check https://rusgirl.blogspot.com.br/2007/03/ ... stics.html for information regarding yields and % of the admits per round for 2007. It is kind of old, but my guess is that the % of R3 and R4 admits (about only 20% of total admits) is the same.

Originally posted by lamanxa on 25 Feb 2013, 18:52.
Last edited by lamanxa on 04 Mar 2013, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview on Monday morning. It was a very good experience. The alumni was obviously very smart and successful. Made for interesting discussions. She challenged me with a couple simulation questions (what would you do if you had a company to start, with x people, and y budget...). What would you do if in your company you had to reduce costs for z reasons? Those were fun little problems to work through with her.
About the presentation, don't stress about it! Remember your AWA section in the GMAT. That's what you really need to think about. Brush up on what structure to use to present an argument. I wish I had brushed up on it. Would have saved me some time and stress. I think I was not as clear/organized in the presentation as I would have liked to be.
Overall, it was quite positive. The alumni had a similar background to mine, and we connected on a bunch of levels.
Let's wait now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
lamanxa wrote:
Victorinox wrote:

guys, check https://rusgirl.blogspot.com.br/2007/03/ ... stics.html for information regarding yields and % of the admits per round for 2007. It is kind of old, but my guess is that the % of R3 and R4 admits (about only 20% of total admits) is the same. Seems that postponing the application in a year is the better strategy by now.

I think another relevant statistic would also be the number of applicants in R3...Well trusting my gut that many applicants have shied away (or made a wise decision) from R3 :idea: , I have taken the gamble of applying in R3 at LBS. Anyone else joinng me in this round? :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Quote:
I think another relevant statistic would also be the number of applicants in R3...Well trusting my gut that many applicants have shied away (or made a wise decision) from R3 , I have taken the gamble of applying in R3 at LBS. Anyone else joinng me in this round

I threw mine in last night. Fingers crossed!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
My hat is also in the ring for R3...

I would love to know how many places are still available
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  23   
Moderators: