Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [41]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [13]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May, which renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

a. which renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
b. an event that renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
c. and renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
d. renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
e. renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

Can you please explain how E can be correct?
You can't say
The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May, renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
because it won't be correct to swap the phrases and say
Renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States, the fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May

I thought if you use a comma + "ing", you should be able to swap the sentences and they should still make sense.

Wouldn't the correct answer be The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
- without the comma before renewing????

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [3]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatprep1982 wrote:
Hi Marcab,

The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May, which renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
E. renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

I am not too convinced that this is the correct answer.

Can you please explain how it can be correct?
You can't say
The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May, renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
Renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States, the fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May

I thought if you use a comma + "ing", you should be able to swap the sentences and they should still make sense.

Wouldn't the correct answer be The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

Thanks

Hii
The meaning of {clause + ",", "verbing"} is different from {clause + "verbing"}. In the former case, the verbing modifier modifies the entire clause whereas in the latter case the verbing modifier modifies just the last word of the preceding clause.
Hope that helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
No; removing the comma before renewing will not work out since, when verb+ing participle is not preceded by a comma, the it will directly refer to the word that is just before namely May or sales of May at the most. Without the comma, the participle loses its power to modify the entire preceding clause, thus distorting the original meaning.
The take away is: an ing participle, with comma modifies the entire preceding clause and without comma modifies just the preceding word.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 569 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
can someone explain me whats the problem in B...I feel the noun +noun modifier modifies either the preceding noun or cluase ..here it modifies the clause..So on what basis option B is an incorrect answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 569 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
hi,
In option B noun +noun modifier always just add an additional information abt the precedding noun or clause.But as per the intended meaning of the sentence
The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May" this resulted in the "renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United State"
So its logical to use renewing(verb+ing modifer) when the intended meaning of sentence is the result of preceding clause
hope this helps
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
friend29 wrote:
skamal7 wrote:
can someone explain me whats the problem in B...I feel the noun +noun modifier modifies either the preceding noun or cluase ..here it modifies the clause..So on what basis option B is an incorrect answer?

Can someone respond to this pl?? Same doubt..

@friend29

First, we need to know what renews the concern? The fragile market or the drop in sales. The drop in sales is only the fact that demonstrates the market is fragile. The fragile market is key, because the drop in sales can happen for reasons other than the fragile market. (for example, there would be a big promotion in June that makes sales in May drop). The intended meaning is that the fragile market renews the concerns. In addition, "an event" is appositive modifier that modifies the noun phrase before it (a drop in sales), thus changes the meaning.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
gmatprep1982 wrote:
The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May, which renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.[b][/b]

a. which renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
b. an event that renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
c. and renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
d. renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
e. renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

Can you please explain how E can be correct?
You can't say

Thanks

It`s a modifier problem.Answer is E.according to ing modifier describes the clause or shows the effect of the clause.here the modifier describes the clause.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [2]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Bookmarks
Marcab,

This is the answer from the question Bank, from where I actually posted this question,

Solution:
This problem tests your ability to distinguish between different types of modifiers. The underlined portion in the original stimulus is a relative clause because it begins with the relative pronoun “which.” A relative clause modifier must be immediately adjacent to the noun it modifies. Because it doesn’t make sense to modify “May,” answer (A) is incorrect.

Option (B) is an appositive modifier, but again, there is no noun it is renaming, so this construction is also incorrect.

Choice (C) applies the main subject “fragile markets” to the verb “renewed,” implying that the fragile markets themselves renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery. This changes the meaning of the sentence and therefore should be eliminated.

Answer (D) eliminates the subject attached to the verb “renewed” and therefore renders the sentence incoherent.

Option (E) correctly uses a participial modifier (“renewing concerns…”) at the end of the sentence to show that it modifies the action of the entire previous clause. Only a participial modifier (using a verb that typically ends in –ing or –ed) can function in this position.

Still I can't understand the explanations- B,C,D and E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hi trafficspinners , lets see if I can help you here

C. and renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
C is not correct beacuse the structure of the sentence would look like:
"The fragile markets were caught" "and renewed concerns". This is a logic error as the subject for the second verb is not "the markets" but the "drop".

D has a similar problem: the structure is very unclear. But now we arrive at the real deal: B vs E

E is wrong because it does not use the "COMMA + ING" modifier correctly. It is true that this form of modifer shows the consequences of the preceding clause, it adds info,... BUT it must make sense with the subject of the preceding clause as well.

The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May, renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States
. It seems that the markets renewed the concern => wrong becasue the drop did that, not the markets. If you wanna know more about this topic refer here: usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html#p1101074

I am not sure of the explanation given for point B "there is no noun it is renaming??". This is an official question that has a similar structure: in-1713-alexander-pope-began-his-translation-of-the-illiad-65410.html. "a work" refer to "the translation" in that question.
With this said if I have to pick an answer I would choose B. I do not think it is ambiguos as "an event" (just like in the official question) refers to the fact that "markets were caught off-guard by a drop".

This question has a more than debatable OA, I would suggest you to practice on official questions as much as you can.

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 4
Send PM
May be someone from the eGMAT can throw some light on this question. Option B would be a perfect case for Noun Modifier explanation as mentioned in Section 3 in this link https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
supratim7 wrote:
A. which renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
B. an event that renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.
D. renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

I couldn't eliminate (B). Can anyone explain why (B) is incorrect?

Many thanks.

Correct Ans me be B

Reason : As the underlined sentence must modify drop in retail sales ....not the fragile markets , Because in case of Clause, Verb-ing modifies although it modify the clause but it does so by modifying subject of clause,.

In this case, fragile market is not renewing concern...its drop in retail sales

Share with me your thoughts if i am wrong somewhere

Regards
LS

I would like to correct myself ...ans must be E.

Reason B is wrong : An event --> noun + noun modifier , In this question the problem is what is the event i.e. the markets caught off gurad or drop in retail sales,
Since there is ambiguity as both can be the called as event, Hence got Out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
supratim7 wrote:
B. an event that renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

Many thanks.

I can´t. Even I found this explanation that allows B to be correct.

From MGMAT: https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/ ... itives.cfm

It is also possible for an appositive to modify an entire preceding noun phrase, rather than only the specific noun that it touches directly. For example, this excerpt from Sentence Correction problem number 113 from The Official Guide for Verbal Review 2nd Edition (VR2, p. 267) shows the problematic placement of a prepositional phrase modifier (not an appositive):

“In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, …”
According to the explanation for this problem, found on page 322 of VR2:

“The largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria is both cumbersome and ambiguous because it suggests that the ancient world was located at (and only at) Alexandria.”
In other words, this noun modifier in the form of the prepositional phrase “at Alexandria” refers only to the noun “world,” immediately preceding the modifier. The correct answer, found on page 267 of VR2, rephrases this part of the sentence:

“In A.D. 391, as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, …”
The noun modifier “the largest of the ancient world” is now in the form of an appositive. Logically, of course, it should refer to the noun “library,” but that noun is not the noun immediately preceding the appositive. Rather, the noun “Alexandria” immediately precedes the appositive. The VR2 explanation for this problem goes on to say that this placement is acceptable:

“This problem is best corrected by breaking the series of phrases into two distinct parts: the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world. Here, the second phrase clearly modifies the first.”
In other words, the second phrase, the appositive, is allowed to modify the entire first phrase. It does not have to modify only the immediately preceding noun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
supratim7 wrote:

Many thanks.

I have read other users comments in a few places. But the way I understand Verb+ing modifiers at the end of a sentence should either provide the result or additional information. Such modifiers modify the preceding clause and refer back to the subject. So here Option E, they refer back to the unexpected drop. But because its a passive constructions it seems ambiguous. Can some one explain if such types of constructions are ok. This questions reminds me of the "Emil dickinson letter" question from OG>

Also with B, the appositive I think does refer to the dropping of retail sales, but I can see how that can be ambiguous.

I think there is certain level of ambiguity here. I just want to know if the correct answer is the best correct answer to the question or is it lesser of the two evils.
I would greatly appreciate any response from experts.
TY
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
I still need to know more why B is wrong. there is a similar question in gmatprep.

why b is wrong?
the pattern
main clause+ a+noun+noun modifier

present which meaning relation?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
if I change B to

an event everybody know