Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Cox '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V34
GPA: 3.77
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
I wanted to get on here and shed some light for enlisted folks trying to get a reputable MBA. Unlike most on here, my story isn't about getting accepted to Harvard or Wharton, but rather i'm telling you that there is hope. Here is my profile:
GMAT: 580 (only had about two weeks to study, and then blew it on the quant)
UG: BS from an online college
Work Exp: I am a Nuclear trained mechanic in the navy, this may have helped me..
Essays: FANTASTIC! (my wife has went through this process for med school and residency and was very helpful)

The best school that I applied to, and my target school, is SMU Cox. While I applied in R3, and do not have a decision yet, I am very proud to say that I was invited to do an interview. This alone makes me feel really good as I thought just to get to this point would be very difficult. So all of you enlisted guys out there, it is still possible to get in somewhere reputable.

I do have one question for those reading. If you know anything about SMU Cox specifically, great! Or just in general, if invited for an interview, what are the odds of being accepted? My strong suit is face to face interview style, so I will not do poorly. I am trying to ease my mind that my odds are very good. Thanks guys.
Director
Director
Send PM
derekgrubbs wrote:

The best school that I applied to, and my target school, is SMU Cox. While I applied in R3, and do not have a decision yet, I am very proud to say that I was invited to do an interview. This alone makes me feel really good as I thought just to get to this point would be very difficult. So all of you enlisted guys out there, it is still possible to get in somewhere reputable.

Congrats! To re-iterate your point, I ran into enlisted veterans while visiting Johnson and Kenan-Flagler. The ad com isn't going to "penalize" you for being enlisted as long as you can explain the leadership roles you've had and that you did your job well. Also - prepping for and getting a good GMAT score will put you in the running at top schools.

Good luck on the interview!
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
If any of you plan to apply to HBS in R3 (or next fall), a few members of our vets club will be hosting a webinar with HBS AdCom on April 5 at 1230pm east coast time. The link to register is here: https://hbs.askadmissions.net/Portal/EI ... e0c1b8d37d

Once you register you'll be able to submit questions in advance, but we'll also be fielding questions submitted during the webinar. While a lot of the Q&A will be HBS-specific, I'm sure some of the questions will be useful information for vets applying to pretty much any MBA program.

If you can't view it at that time, the presentation will be recorded and posted as a streaming video a few days later.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Well I got my last decision notification today and here's how I ended up:

R1 HBS: ding w/o interview
R1 MIT: ding w/o interview
R2 Haas: accepted & matriculating
R2 Kellogg: accepted
R2 Stanford: ding w/o interview

Given my spotty undergrad academic record (3.15 GPA with fair share of C's and worse), I feel really fortunate about how everything turned out. I'd be happy to provide a more detailed de-brief on how I mitigated my GPA and crafted my application if you guys are interested.
Director
Director
Send PM
swbluedevil wrote:
Well I got my last decision notification today and here's how I ended up:

R1 HBS: ding w/o interview
R1 MIT: ding w/o interview
R2 Haas: accepted & matriculating
R2 Kellogg: accepted
R2 Stanford: ding w/o interview

Given my spotty undergrad academic record (3.15 GPA with fair share of C's and worse), I feel really fortunate about how everything turned out. I'd be happy to provide a more detailed de-brief on how I mitigated my GPA and crafted my application if you guys are interested.

Congrats! Haas and Kellogg is quite an achievement! I wouldn't mind hearing how you got past your GPA (even though it won't benefit me), because my GPA was a shoddy 3.09 and I'm just glad I got into one of my top 4 choices.
Director
Director
Send PM
EBM wrote:
If any of you plan to apply to HBS in R3 (or next fall), a few members of our vets club will be hosting a webinar with HBS AdCom on April 5 at 1230pm east coast time. The link to register is here: https://hbs.askadmissions.net/Portal/EI ... e0c1b8d37d

Once you register you'll be able to submit questions in advance, but we'll also be fielding questions submitted during the webinar. While a lot of the Q&A will be HBS-specific, I'm sure some of the questions will be useful information for vets applying to pretty much any MBA program.

If you can't view it at that time, the presentation will be recorded and posted as a streaming video a few days later.

Bump....mainly because I've seen the questions that people have been submitting and a lot of them aren't school-specific at all.
Director
Director
Send PM
Good blog posts from the MilitaryToBusiness guys if you're mapping out what schools to apply to next year:
https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/ ... iness.html
https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/ ... r-top.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: Q151 V154

GRE 2: Q156 V160

GRE 3: Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I was just wait listed at Sloan. Does anyone here have any experience with being wait listed and what you did to get accepted?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
PNW wrote:
I was just wait listed at Sloan. Does anyone here have any experience with being wait listed and what you did to get accepted?

My experience with the waitlist wasn't very good. I was put on the list at Kellogg Rd 1 last year. They sent a letter saying you would have a decision at X date and that date would come and go and they would update the letter pushing it out. By May I hadn't heard anything so I emailed them and dropped off voluntarily because I knew I was going to apply to new schools this go around. I hope you have some better luck. Good news is you won't have as long to wait and agonize, bad news is there aren't that many slots left available so you are left at the mercy of their yield and how many people decline or drop out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello All,

Let me apologize in advance for the length of this profile and series of questions. It is a hybrid of career choice and school questions- I am considering the necessity of MBA school / chances / where to apply and believe I understand the nuances of most schools inside the top 20.

I am an Air Force Captain with about 7 years' service. Undergrad double major in Supply Chain/Econ from one of the better Big Ten schools with a 3.7 GPA. Also have an MSc in Quant Finance from an average Pac-Ten School (not in California!) but with a fairly robust curriculum and 3.8 GPA.

My AFSC (MOS) is in the Finance arena, but have had some very atypical assignments, have checked the blocks on deployments to both major AORs in ways that were not standard Bob on the Fob G-8, and am currently working at an Embassy assignment... fair amount of breadth and I'm reasonably sure that for a non combat arms role my profile is strong - would be grateful for feedback on my Linkedin/Resume and would happy to provide on a PM.

I have also passed my CFA Level 1 exam and will be sitting for the Level 2 in June.

BLUF: I want to work at a hedge fund full stop, first as an analyst, and progressing to a portfolio manager. Eventually I want to run my own fund and if all goes well I have some longer term plans about how I would want to build out the fund and turn it into more of a venture philanthropy/ emerging mkt micro venture capital endeavor - this would be the crux of any essays I would put in for MBA schools. I would also attempt to parlay my international experience in essays. This plan has evolved, but for the most part it is what I've wanted to do since my junior year of college. I feel as though the career progression I've sought is pretty self-explanatory to any school with the Master's degree concentration and the CFA, and my rationale would be the school as a natural pipeline for a career change and network exposure.

My dilemma is as follows: I am questioning the necessity of attending MBA school at all, because last year I was seriously considering getting out and managed to land interviews at several of the BB banks in NY, which at the time I viewed as a critical stepping stone to the alternative asset space. Managed to land one job offer in the market reg side in oil futures surveillance, but the salary offered was on par with a first time job out of undergrad. I have a spouse with grad school debt and we could not make the numbers work in NYC. I worked closely with Veterans on Wall Street to get to these interviews, but the industry was in such flux with Dodd-Frank at the time that 4 firms asked me to wait until summertime. That said, I've maintained contact with my interviewers and hope/think that they will keep me in mind down the road.

In parallel I was offered this very unique Embassy job opportunity; my wife is in the NGO/Int'l Development arena and we had to jump at the chance. In the Air Force you only have 5 days to accept an assignment selection or you have to establish a date of separation and no deferral of an offer. Fast forward to today and we have another year left here, but possibly up to two years if I put in for an extension.

Leading up to the week that I accepted the overseas job, I had been cultivating relationships with a few hedge fund managers and sought their counsel - a common piece of advice I got was get the international/life experience, skip the MBA completely, pursue the CFA, and learn Python programming. They also recommended trying to start directly at a HF rather than try to navigate the as-of-yet uncertain maze of what Sales/Trading desks at the big banks will look like post the major regulatory changes. Although they personally said they would speak to me when I returned home - 2 years is a long time and there are no guarantees.

Since before I was commissioned I've been trading equities/options on my own and have managed to grow the portfolio to a fairly comfortable level (market hours are friendly in SWA); I have all of my transactions documented and can verify performance figures. As an undergrad I was also active in my school's investment association which at the time was running the largest student run fund in the world, and studied in the UK my junior year that concluded with a short internship in London at the LME and a week survey at the Bank of England.

Back when I was applying for the Master's program I didn't do as well on the GMAT as hoped and got a 660 which I attribute to poor time management. But that was 7 years ago meaning it is off the books at this point, and I am quite confident I could push above 700 with a reasonable amount of prep.

First, given all the above details, is there an overly compelling need for me to go to MBA school? The fact that I was offered an analyst/undergrad position is a concern I have because an analyst's salary will not work for me in either NYC or SF as family planning is going to be a reality in the very near future. The other big banks seemed to be hinting at a senior analyst level or even associate position, but likely for a summer offer. I certainly understand the risk they are assuming with an unproven person coming into a new industry. Since that time many of the large firms have come out with military specific programs, which they may have known about when we were speaking, but were not public at that point. Believe me, I have heard and understand the "You're taking the difficult path" rather than the natural one by NOT going to MBA school.

Although there are differences between top MBA salaries over the course of career by most normal metrics, in my specific case I'm wondering if the lost opportunity cost is worth it... I will be a little older than your standard post Academy/ROTC guy and low 30s should be prime earning years, even if I am able to attend school cheaply or even for free with Post 9/11 and Yellow Ribbon. I remember looking at Johnson's 1 year program but the issue with that is no opportunity for an internship and you're left to your own devices at graduation- could be stated from a position of ignorance but I spoke with a few of the military guys there at the time and they recommended going for the 2 year one. With 1 year, the time isn't automatically built in so most of your school experience would be trying to get recruited.

If school is absolutely the way to go, for hedge fund specific positions, are there any other schools to seriously consider than Columbia, Wharton, NYU, and Booth? MIT certainly has a lot of academia in that realm with Andrew Lo's finance lab, but I perceive it to be more an operations/quant/management place. For West Coast, I would think both Haas and Anderson are well represented, but Stanford (impossibly tough to get into) seems to be much more tailored to the VC/PE/Startup set.

Is there any factor that I am not thinking about that I should give more consideration? With a 700 GMAT & reasonable quant is there anything more that you would recommend in terms of application approaches other than what I've already mentioned?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can offer, and once again I apologize for the length of this post.
Director
Director
Send PM
I have no experience or knowledge in finance, so most of what you said went over my head.

Having said that the best case I can make for an MBA is:

1) Networking/recruiting - top B-schools are a breeding ground for this and offer more opportunities than you could find on your own, and offers won't be of the undergrad entry level variety.

2) Street cred - this goes along with the networking, but having an MBA from a top school opens doors.

Since you're going from finance in the AF to finance on the outside, you might have an easier go at it. I'm going from an engineering/construction MOS to marketing/brand management, so an MBA was the no-brainer option for me.

P.S. It's the PAC-12 :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Hey guys, I got a question concerning age. I just ended up separating from the Navy after seven years. I was a junior officer and got riffed after attriting from flight school because of a medical reason. I wanted to do my MBA upon separation but I just didn't have enough time to finish applications and take the GMAT. Plus, I am getting married in three months and it just didn't feel like a good time to have no income.

I accepted and started a job as a financial analyst at a small public finance firm (We do government consulting which involves setting up special bond districts and managing them). I had zero experience in anything finance related except my degree so I am thankful for the opportunity. It's an entry level position and I make what your average fresh O-1 makes. I can't complain when I stop and consider I didn't attend an elite school and don't have experience.

I want to earn an MBA. I still have my GI bill so I am looking towards the schools that wouldn't cost me money (UCLA, UMich, UVA, Duke, USC (30K)). I know I don't have the credentials for the H/S/W type schools. My problem is I'm scared I'll be too old for the program when I apply. I'll be around 30-31. I like the industry I work in now and would prefer to stay in public finance and real estate development. Would it even be worth going to a full time MBA program or would a part time program suit me better?
Director
Director
Send PM
Don't let age deter you. I'm 33 and I got accepted to Johnson with a Park Fellowship to boot. However, I will say I'm leaving the service after 10 years and going right to B-school. Your story gets more complicated when you separate, work in the civilian sector, then pursue an MBA. You'll defintely have to answer the "why MBA now?" question - not because you're 30 or 31, but because you took a little detour after the Navy. FWIW, my age never came up in interivews - it was always framed in the context "why are you leaving the military?" Vice, "Dude, you're a F---ing dinosaur, why MBA now?"

In terms of GI Bill - Kellogg and Tuck are very generous with their Yellow Ribbon, and you'll only have to pay a few grand a year. Johnson covers the rest like Duke with their YR too.

This link is a little out of date but still good for estimating purposes. For instance, the GI Bill will now kick in $19K to private schools, and Tuck has upped its YR contribution from $15K to $18K.
https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/2012/07/post-911-gi-bill-for-business-school.html

A part-time program may work better if you're simply looking to advance in your current field, but if you want to do a career change and want to get in front of some of the top companies out there, the full-time MBA is the way to go. Yes not having an income for two years may suck, but not reaching your full potential sucks even worse.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Don't let age deter you. I'm 33 and I got accepted to Johnson with a Park Fellowship to boot. However, I will say I'm leaving the service after 10 years and going right to B-school. Your story gets more complicated when you separate, work in the civilian sector, then pursue an MBA. You'll defintely have to answer the "why MBA now?" question - not because you're 30 or 31, but because you took a little detour after the Navy. FWIW, my age never came up in interivews - it was always framed in the context "why are you leaving the military?" Vice, "Dude, you're a F---ing dinosaur, why MBA now?"

In terms of GI Bill - Kellogg and Tuck are very generous with their Yellow Ribbon, and you'll only have to pay a few grand a year. Johnson covers the rest like Duke with their YR too.

This link is a little out of date but still good for estimating purposes. For instance, the GI Bill will now kick in $19K to private schools, and Tuck has upped its YR contribution from $15K to $18K.
https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/2012/07/post-911-gi-bill-for-business-school.html

A part-time program may work better if you're simply looking to advance in your current field, but if you want to do a career change and want to get in front of some of the top companies out there, the full-time MBA is the way to go. Yes not having an income for two years may suck, but not reaching your full potential sucks even worse.

I guess I'll have to give them my take as to why I decided to push off getting an MBA straight out of the military. I didn't graduate college until I was 24 because I was Enlisted before attending. I only had two years of postgrad work when I left the military (OCS and admin officer stuff). I didn't think I had any meaningful skills (when I was enlisted I worked on airplanes) to bring to the table and would be in the same position two years later just with an MBA. I liked the offer I got for the job and decided to take it. I guess I'll just have to sell it when the time comes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Bluemarlin04 wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

I guess I'll have to give them my take as to why I decided to push off getting an MBA straight out of the military. I didn't graduate college until I was 24 because I was Enlisted before attending. I only had two years of postgrad work when I left the military (OCS and admin officer stuff). I didn't think I had any meaningful skills (when I was enlisted I worked on airplanes) to bring to the table and would be in the same position two years later just with an MBA. I liked the offer I got for the job and decided to take it. I guess I'll just have to sell it when the time comes.

I'm literally in the same exact position as you. 30-31 when I apply, separated after 7 years as enlisted only. Recently graduated college. I opted out of jumping straight into work so I travel the world for a year, and will be starting a brand new job at entry level right around application time. But all of it ties into my story, as I plan on getting into the foreign service to be a economic/political officer. I met a lot of enlisted folks at top programs, and a lot of them did their 3-4 years, spent 4 years in undergrad and rolled right into an MBA. I don't think being broad and diverse in your work history counts against you, especially changing careers, since that's what a lot of people getting an MBA are doing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Just curious if anyone here has used the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), then transitioned to the remaining 12 months under Post 9/11 (whether for an MBA or another program).

Example: I have 2 months and 17 days remaining on Chapter 30, and am debating whether to use the remaining time on a summer class so that I can start the program fresh with the Post 9/11. Or use the remaining Chapter 30 benefits during the first semester and then transition to Post 9/11 midway through after I’ve exhausted the remaining benefits under Chapter 30. Considering it’s the VA, I am concerned about how smooth of a transition it will actually be.

Thanks for the feedback
Director
Director
Send PM
Link for the HBS AFAA admissions webinar from two weeks ago: https://video.hbs.edu/videotools/play?cl ... ry_webinar

We covered plenty of topics that are relevant to the admissions process in general, not just HBS.

Sorry for the crappy video quality but we wanted to make sure the sound was good to accommodate those watching from overseas with slow connections.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11