Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [102]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [43]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Send PM
Re: In North America there has been an explosion of public interest in, an [#permalink]
I read somewhere that there is an assumption negation technique. Can I use that here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: In North America there has been an explosion of public interest in, an [#permalink]
Thanks Karishma for explaining the ANT.
I understand the above explanation given for ANT. I have read in the Veritas CR book that after Negate the choice in such a manner that newly created choice should be logically opposite of the original choice.

I tried this ANT for choice E.
Original Choice -
The 45 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of enthusiasm on the part of a potential audience.

As per me, after applying ANT, choice E becomes,
The 45 most recently founded companies were NOT all established as a result of enthusiasm on the part of a potential audience.
However, as per your below explanation, the ANT should be focusing on the number 45, not on verb = were established.
Can you discuss this in detail. I understand the below quoted reasoning, nonetheless.

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
You don't need option (E) to be true for the conclusion to be true. Say, even if all 45 were not established as a result of enthusiasm (say, only 40 were established as a result of enthusiasm), even then it is possible that interest in opera has increased. You don't need (E) to be true to prove the conclusion. Hence it is not an assumption.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Karishma for explaining the ANT.
I understand the above explanation given for ANT. I have read in the Veritas CR book that after Negate the choice in such a manner that newly created choice should be logically opposite of the original choice.

I tried this ANT for choice E.
Original Choice -
The 45 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of enthusiasm on the part of a potential audience.

As per me, after applying ANT, choice E becomes,
The 45 most recently founded companies were NOT all established as a result of enthusiasm on the part of a potential audience.
However, as per your below explanation, the ANT should be focusing on the number 45, not on verb = were established.
Can you discuss this in detail. I understand the below quoted reasoning, nonetheless.

Your negation is correct. You have negated the 45 as well. "All" stands for the 45 companies. "were not all" (it means not all 45) established as a result of enthusiasm...

I could have negated the correct option as
"There were not fewer than 45 ..." which is awkward. So instead, I made it "more than (or equal to) 45"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
imhimanshu wrote:
In North America there has been an explosion of public interest in, and enjoyment of,opera over the last three decades. The evidence of this explosion is that of the 70 or so professional opera companies currently active in North America,45 were founded over the course of the last 30 years.

The reasoning above assumes which one of the following?

a) All of the 70 professional opera companies are commercially viable options.

b) There were fewer than 45 professional opera companies that had been active 30 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 30 years.

c) There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of professional companies devoted to other performing arts.

d) The size of the average audience at performances by professional opera companies has increased over the past three decades.

e) The 45 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of enthusiasm on the part of a potential audience.

Can someone provide a reasoning over choice E

The giveaway word is ALL. If E were framed in this way "SOME of the 45 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of enthusiasm on the part of a potential audience" that response would be a stronger contender for a correct assumption than E is.

Negating B, the correct answer, basically rips the argument because it would imply that having 70 active professional opera companies is nothing spectacular or historic and thus cannot be used an indicator of a recent boom in operatic interest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 528 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Karishma/OldFritz

d) The size of the average audience at performances by professional opera companies has increased over the past three decades.

how did you eliminate option D

if I negate D it will look like

The size of the average audience at performances by professional opera companies has decreased over the past three decades.

This weakens the conclusion that there has been a explosion of interest
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO B

(A) All of the 70 professional opera companies are commercially viable options.
The argument doesn't mention the "commericial" aspect, this adds informations and the conclusion cannot be based on added information in the answer.
(B) There were fewer than 45 professional opera companies that had been active 30 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 30 years.
Correct (IMO)
(C) There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of professional companies devoted to other performing arts.
This is a good one... but since the passage doesn't mention any other art, I discard this and pick B.
(D) The size of the average audience at performances by professional opera companies has increased over the past three decades.
This option mention the "average", not the "number". Moreover the text links the increase of the number of bands to the explosion of public interest, and does not say anything about the audience.
(E) The 45 most recently founded opera companies were all established as a result of enthusiasm on the part of a potential audience.
The word "all" makes this answer too extreme
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [3]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
i think the answer must be B.
E is close but it just strengthens the fact that "Public likes the operas established in the last three decades or Operas are bound to make good profit or Opera is making a good business" But we are asked to find an assumption or support for the fact that it is against the public interest on the basis of an evidence that 45 out of 75 operas are founded in the last 3 decades." So the gap is "How can there be explosion of public interest if more number of operas are opened in that particular decade."
If we weaken the fact that all these operas in discussion are opened in the last three decades and not carried fwd frm previously running operas.
Than we can protect our conclusion.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
came down to b and e when you negate E, it doesn't really tie that well into the conclusion....IMO.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
skiingforthewknds wrote:
came down to b and e when you negate E, it doesn't really tie that well into the conclusion....IMO.

be flexible. Do not rely always on the negation technique: though is the most powerful tool for assumption questions, try to understand the question itself, too

this is what is our conclusion and what lead to it

The evidence of this explosion is that of the 70 or so professional opera companies currently active in North America, 45 were founded over the course of the last 30 years.

(E) The 45 most recently founded opera companies were all established as a result of enthusiasm on the part of a potential audience.

As you can see is completely unrelated to our conclusion.

Basically it says that NOW still exist more than 45 companies founded over the course of the last 30 years.

In E we see that something is RECENTLY founded due to the ENTHUSIASM of POTENTIAL audience. This is completely incosistent with our argument.

B must be the answer.

Hope is clear
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Ankit04041987 wrote:
Karishma/OldFritz

The size of the average audience at performances by professional opera companies has decreased over the past three decades.

All,

I also thought about D as a viable answer choice after negating
Would someone please clarify what is wrong with this answer choice

Thanks
Cheers
J
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jlgdr wrote:
Ankit04041987 wrote:
Karishma/OldFritz

All,

I also thought about D as a viable answer choice after negating
Would someone please clarify what is wrong with this answer choice

Thanks
Cheers
J

The negation of (D) is
The size of the average audience at performances by professional opera companies has NOT increased over the past three decades.

Our conclusion can still hold even if this is true and therefore, (D) is not an assumption.

Conclusion: Over the last 30 years, there has been an explosion of interest in Opera.

We are given that 45 new companies were founded in this time. The size of the audience may not have increased because the new companies attracted the new following or size of the audience may have stayed the same because of capacity issues at the opera houses.

Also, absolute number of people visiting a place doesn't give you much info about the increase/decrease in popularity. You need to know the % of population that visits a place over a period of time. Opening up of many such new places hints at increase in popularity because it means that people see profit in the business and believe that it will do well provided they are not replacing the old dying companies and hoping to pull their clientele.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos