Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [25]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [9]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Graduates of medical schools are interested in practical [#permalink]
can some one help me in negating option C?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
skamal7 wrote:
can some one help me in negating option C?

Hi skamal7,

Look at the conclusion which says :
Consequently, research laboratories rarely hire graduates of medical schools.

So the option C follows from this conclusion and is not required to support the conclusion.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
optionc :
C)Most employees of research laboratories are not graduates of medical schools.
Here if i negate
a) some employees of research laboratories are not graduates of medical schools.
b)Most employees of research laboratories are graduates of medical schools.

Among the two options which is the correct one to negate the option c?can you please help..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
skamal7 wrote:
optionc :
C)Most employees of research laboratories are not graduates of medical schools.
Here if i negate
a) some employees of research laboratories are not graduates of medical schools.
b)Most employees of research laboratories are graduates of medical schools.

Among the two options which is the correct one to negate the option c?can you please help..

I think you are getting confused here.
The option C is not an assumption but an inference which can be drawn from the author’s conclusion that research laboratories rarely hire graduates of medical schools.
So it can’t be the answer as the answer has to be an assumption which helps the conclusion.
Now the conclusion is drawn from the fact that Graduates of medical schools are interested in practical work as practicing physicians and hence not interested in theoretical work. And so research laboratories which do theoretical work will not hire them. The underlying assumption here is that if graduates are interested in practical work then research labs will hire them and this is what option D days.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
I to feel that option D, when negated, supports the argument instead of weakening the argument.

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [2]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Bookmarks
KyleWiddison wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
Graduates of medical schools are interested in practical work as practicing physicians. However, research laboratories mainly deal with theoretical work, and therefore, they are reluctant to hire personnel who are not interested in research. Consequently, research laboratories rarely hire graduates of medical schools.

The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions?
(A)Graduates of medical schools are interested in working for research laboratories.

(B)The only people not interested in research work are those who are interested in practical work.

(C)Most employees of research laboratories are not graduates of medical schools.

(D)Research laboratories would hire graduates of medical schools if such graduates were interested in research work.

(E)Few medical school graduates who are interested in practical work are also interested in research.

I have to question the OA on this one. As mentioned earlier, when you have difficulty finding the true assumption you can negate the possible assumptions and choose the one that destroys the conclusion.

Conclusion: research laboratories rarely hire graduates of medical schools
Negated D: Research laboratories would NOT hire graduates of medical schools if such graduates were interested in research work.
Negated E: Most medical school graduates who are interested in practical work are also interested in research.

If we insert Negated D into the argument, the conclusion isn't destroyed but rather supported.
If we insert Negated E into the argument, the conclusion is destroyed because there is now no valid reason to not hire a medical school graduate.

This provides strong evidence for E as the OA...

KW

KW explanation is correct . I put the wrong answer . OA is indeed "E" ( not "D" as marked earlier)

Here's the OE if anyone is interested :

The argument above concludes that research laboratories rarely hire medical school graduates. As evidence, the argument states that most graduates of medical schools are interested in practical work and that research laboratories are not interested in hiring personnel who are not interested in research. This argument is correct only if it assumes that medical school graduates interested in practical work are not also interested in research. If they were also interested in research, research laboratories should be interested in hiring them, because, as implied in the argument, research labs are interested in hiring personnel who are interested in research.

A) The argument does not depend on the assumption that graduates of medical schools are interested in working in research centers.

B) This does not need to be assumed. The argument is quite compatible with the idea that there are people who are not interested in research work and are not interested in practical work.

C) This choice paraphrases the argument; it does not need to be assumed.

D) The argument states that being interested in research work is an important criterion for being hired by a research laboratory, but nothing in the argument indicates that this alone is sufficient to be hired. Laboratories should be interested in hiring those graduates but not necessarily bound to hire them.

E) Correct. If many of those graduates were interested in research work as well as in practical work, then laboratories would be willing to hire them and more graduates would work for research labs. Therefore, it must be assumed that medical school graduates who are interested in practical work are rarely interested in research work.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
guerrero25 wrote:
Graduates of medical schools are interested in practical work as practicing physicians. However, research laboratories mainly deal with theoretical work, and therefore, they are reluctant to hire personnel who are not interested in research. Consequently, research laboratories rarely hire graduates of medical schools.

The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions?
(A)Graduates of medical schools are interested in working for research laboratories.

(B)The only people not interested in research work are those who are interested in practical work.

(C)Most employees of research laboratories are not graduates of medical schools.

(D)Research laboratories would hire graduates of medical schools if such graduates were interested in research work.

(E)Few medical school graduates who are interested in practical work are also interested in research.

It is a clear E for me...for conclusion to be true, graduates must not show interest in research. E states exactly this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
question about the negation test here:

I have a little problem with the negation test over here
the OA says:

but, when I negate it I get:
NOT Few medical school graduates who are interested in practical work are also interested in research.

and as far as I know - "not few" can mean -
1. None
2. Most

it is obvious that the answer would be right if the word FEW also contains the word NONE inside.

what do you think experts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Initially I also thought the option would be D; but after going through the explanations given by wiser people, I realise that this was not a 700 level for nothing.
For me the answer lies in the word "rarely" - the conclusion seem to indicate that at some point the medical student were hired - which could only be based on the assumption that some of the medics were also interested in the research.
Otherwise the conclusion should have been - medical students are never hired.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Can someone please help me understand how option B is not correct here ?

When negated it becomes, 'The only people interested in research work are those who are NOT interested in practical work' which weakens the argument.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Quote:
It is a clear E for me...for conclusion to be true, graduates must not show interest in research. E states exactly this.

The only objection I have with E is the word "few".
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts