Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [8]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32876 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that th [#permalink]
Kudos
Rock750 wrote:
The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their northern regions, to withdraw from his country.

(A) that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(B) of the United States that it would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(C) that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls its
(D) that the United States encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(E) the United States to encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls its

IMO, E is correct.
"their" used in A, B, D is wrong ==> because "the island" should go with "its"
Down to C and E.

(C) that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls its
Wrong.

(1) Because of "that" ==> subjunctive for ==> "would" is used incorrect. The subjunctive formula is: [ subject + verb + that + subject + verb in simple form ] ==> C will be correct if "would" is eliminated. ==> C will be: X has asked that Y would encourage Z... to withdraw.

(2) C also changes meaning. The original meaning is like a command: X has asked Y to do ...... ==> "would encourage" is not appropriate

(E) the United States to encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls its
Correct. This is command sentence: X has asked Y to encourage Z.... to withdraw......
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Rock750 wrote:
The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their northern regions, to withdraw from his country.

(A) that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(B) of the United States that it would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(D) that the United States encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their

hi,
clearly as everybody said the use of their is wrong........and "its" is required to refer to united states as per the meaning,and united states is singular.

now we are left with C and E

In this option meaning comes out to be wrong.....it is like this:....the president asked that the united states would encourage......now here it is not clear to whom the president is asking?....but the intended meaning is president of cyprus asked the united states to encourage........
thats why this is wrong ....also as per daagh explanation : subjunctive form dont contain would or should.

therefore E becomes the right answer....

hope it helps.

SKM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
@Carcass

Subjunctive mood sentences are somewhat unusual in that they do not follow normal rules of grammar related to subject-verb and tense usage. Therefore, no woder taht they appear some what weird to the ears. But still they are grammatical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Rock750 wrote:

Subject - Verb issue corners the option between C and E. Now C sounds that the president asked a 3rd entity to request US to intervene.However the sentence doesn't have a 3rd entity such as UN or UNESCO or some other organization hence it's out. E is clear ans concise in meaning and grammar. hence E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I have a doubt.

If "D" has 'its" at the end would "D" be the answer for this
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rrkan wrote:
I have a doubt.

Yes rrkan if the option D has "its" ==> in this case option D will be correct.
since ASK can take both subjunctive verb and to - verb.

hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
shaileshmishra wrote:
rrkan wrote:
I have a doubt.

Yes rrkan if the option D has "its" ==> in this case option D will be correct.
since ASK can take both subjunctive verb and to - verb.

hope it helps.

The option [E] gives a parallel infinitive form of the verb in both the parts of the sentence i.e. "to encourage Turkey" and "to withdraw from", which no other choice provides. I believe that plays an imp factor in the choices as well and can be easily detected.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Regards,
A
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
arpanpatnaik wrote:

The option [E] gives a parallel infinitive form of the verb in both the parts of the sentence i.e. "to encourage Turkey" and "to withdraw from", which no other choice provides. I believe that plays an imp factor in the choices as well and can be easily detected.

Regards,
A

hi ,
i got your point what you are thinking but in my opinion thats not the error i think.
whenever there is parallelism there must be a parallelism marker such as....and/or...etc.

now in the given sentence

The part starting with ..."which invaded........northern regions" is actually acting as modifier and is modifying turkey.
now if remove the modifier the sentence becomes
"The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that the United States to encourage Turkey to withdraw from his country.
now in this sentence between TO ENCOURAGE and TO WITHDRAW....there is no parallelism marker so as per my opinion it is not necessary to make them parallel and that is not the basis to eliminate.

hope it helps.

SKM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
arpanpatnaik wrote:

Regards,
A

Hi arpanpatnaik, that expression is not a form of parallelism.

Parallelism is used to express "parallel ideas" so "to encourage Turkey to withdraw from" is not Parallelism just because both have "to + VERB".

Example:
The US president in his last speech encourage Turkey to withdraw from the war, and to open its internal market to the world.

Here the speed encourages Turkey to do two things and those must be parallel
*to withdraw (...)
*to open (...)

In the above example "to encourage Turkey to withdraw" is not Parallelism, hope it's clear

And shaileshmishra correctly points out that parallelism is often marked by words such as "and, Both X and Y, or"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
arpanpatnaik wrote:

Regards,
A

Hi arpanpatnaik, that expression is not a form of parallelism.

Parallelism is used to express "parallel ideas" so "to encourage Turkey to withdraw from" is not Parallelism just because both have "to + VERB".

Example:
The US president in his last speech encourage Turkey to withdraw from the war, and to open its internal market to the world.

Here the speed encourages Turkey to do two things and those must be parallel
*to withdraw (...)
*to open (...)

In the above example "to encourage Turkey to withdraw" is not Parallelism, hope it's clear

And shaileshmishra correctly points out that parallelism is often marked by words such as "and, Both X and Y, or"

Ohh I am sorry I think my post was misleading. Actually by parallel i meant the structures of both the parts i.e.
to encourage Turkey
to withdraw...

are in agreement. They are both in 'Infinitive Form'. All the other choices, do not offer that option. My objective was never to question the idea movement, I was just referring to those structures(form of the verb) being similar or parallel :) The structure agreement is what strikes instantaneously when you see the choices and can be used to determine the answer a lot faster :)

Regards,
Arpan
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
arpanpatnaik wrote:

Ohh I am sorry I think my post was misleading. Actually by parallel i meant the structures of both the parts i.e.
to encourage Turkey
to withdraw...

are in agreement. They are both in 'Infinitive Form'. All the other choices, do not offer that option. My objective was never to question the idea movement, I was just referring to those structures(form of the verb) being similar or parallel :) The structure agreement is what strikes instantaneously when you see the choices and can be used to determine the answer a lot faster :)

Regards,
Arpan

Those verbs could be similar, but NOT parallel. By itself this is not a good point to discard/accept an option
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
arpanpatnaik wrote:

to encourage Turkey
to withdraw...

Regards,
Arpan

Those verbs could be similar, but NOT parallel. By itself this is not a good point to discard/accept an option

My bad! I thought that it was a valid approach :) Well I guess as mentioned in the previous posts, considering the use of plural pronoun 'their' is the distinguishing factor, and as ' pqhai ' has elaborated in his post [C] can be eliminated as well!

Thanks Zarrolou! :) *Shailesh too! :)*

Regards,
A
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that [#permalink]
Rock750 wrote:

Their has no clear referrent, and between (C) & (E) , correct answer must be (E) for the highlighted errors in the options...

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
E, because it is concise and correct idioms
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
soumya2504 wrote:
E, because it is concise and correct idioms

but the pronoun "it" is quite ambiguous, pls elaborate your answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
would is incorrect
ask of is incorrect
same as A
their isn't correct antecedent to turkey as it's singular
Correct
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618952 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rock750 wrote:

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The phrase asked that in choices (A), (C), and (D) requires the following verb to be in the subjunctive mood which, in situations like this (technically known as indirect speech), looks like the infinitive form of the verb. The options in the three choices are would encourage and encourage. The second is correct since encourage is indeed the infinitive form of the verb (to encourage). Eliminate (A) and (C). Answer choice (B) makes the same error. Even though it separates asked and that with some more information, (B) still presents the asked that construction and needs to use the subjunctive encourage rather than would encourage. (D) and (E) remain. (E) is correct because it uses its rather than their to refer to Cyprus.

An 800 test taker realizes that he doesn't need to know all of the details of the subjunctive mood in order to ace the GMAT. He familiarizes himself with the three situations in which the subjunctive is used so that he can spot them in Sentence Correction questions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts