Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [39]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [2]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: State politicians are optimistic that the state s economic [#permalink]
Kudos
though i agree with option E; however, i feel that B is not that bad
we can obviously say that the final conclusion of the argument is that "ALL IS NOT WELL IN THIS ECONOMY" (i am not getting into the details but the final conclusion of the argument seems something like this). Now the second part of B "the second is an interpretation of the conclusion." is exactly what must be the "INTERPRETATION" of "THE CONCLUSION" ----->so by that standard B seems correct !!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
State politicians are optimistic that the state’s economic downturn will not be as severe as had been predicted. Their hopes are bolstered by the data released last week: the jobless rate declined two full percentage points in the last six months. But, many economists have pointed out the flight of unemployed residents to the bordering states where jobs are plentiful. Furthermore, many out of work residents have been rehired at minimum wage: virtually all new jobs in the state in the past year have been minimum wage jobs. Economists cast grave doubts on the economic well-being of the state.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
(A) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
The first is the evidence to support the intermediate conclusion - "State politicians are optimistic that the state’s economic downturn will not be as severe as had been predicted. "
The second is not that conclusion -> Wrong

(B) The first is evidence opposed to the conclusion; the second is an interpretation of the conclusion.
The 1st bold faced is not opposing any conclusion -> Neither of that State politicians nor that Economist. The second is the main conclusion which opposes the conclusion drawn by State politician -> Wrong

(C) The first is an interpretation that calls the conclusion into question; the second is that conclusion.
The first is an fact or an observation. The interpretation of the 1st bold faced in subsequent lines by the author and he or she concludes in the last line. -> Wrong

(D) The first is a conclusion the argument calls into question; the second is the evidence that calls it into question.
The first is an fact or an observation -> Wrong

(E) The first is evidence taken to support a conclusion; the second is a position that opposes that conclusion.
The 1st Bold faced supports the conclusion made by "State politicians". The second bold faced states a position (Judgement or view) that opposes that conclusion -> Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
E is the correct answer.

Herer is the segmentaion / classification of statements as facts, premise, etc:

State politicians are optimistic that the state’s economic downturn will not be as severe as had been predicted - Conclusion of State Politicians
Their hopes are bolstered by the data released last week: the jobless rate declined two full percentage points in the last six months - Evidence to support above conclusion
But, many economists have pointed out the flight of unemployed residents to the bordering states where jobs are plentiful - Fact presented by economist
Furthermore, many out of work residents have been rehired at minimum wage: virtually all new jobs in the state in the past year have been minimum wage jobs - Evidence by economist to support above point
Economists cast grave doubts on the economic well-being of the state - Stand / position taken by Economist

First BF statement is a fact/evidence that support conclusion of politicians. Second BF statement is a position going against the conclusion of the politicians
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Does this argument has main conclusion? and what it is ?
is it necessary to always have a main conclusion in boldface CR questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 402 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
State politicians are optimistic that the state s economic [#permalink]
The conclusion of the argument is
State politicians are optimistic that the state’s economic downturn will not be as severe as had been predicted.If we look closely at the question the first Boldfaced statement offers evidence which supports the conclusion in the previous statement.The second BF2 clearly disputes the same conclusion stating that the situation is not as rosy as it looks.
So the answer is clearly E.Please give me Kudos . I need them badly
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO There is no main conclusion in this CR, but there is only one intermediate conclusion in the first statement. Main conclusion must be from author not from any actor in the argument. all the information in the argument is premises.

mikemcgarry wrote:
State politicians are optimistic that the state’s economic downturn will not be as severe as had been predicted. Their hopes are bolstered by the data released last week: the jobless rate declined two full percentage points in the last six months. But, many economists have pointed out the flight of unemployed residents to the bordering states where jobs are plentiful. Furthermore, many out of work residents have been rehired at minimum wage: virtually all new jobs in the state in the past year have been minimum wage jobs. Economists cast grave doubts on the economic well-being of the state.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
(A) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
(B) The first is evidence opposed to the conclusion; the second is an interpretation of the conclusion.
(C) The first is an interpretation that calls the conclusion into question; the second is that conclusion.
(D) The first is a conclusion the argument calls into question; the second is the evidence that calls it into question.
(E) The first is evidence taken to support a conclusion; the second is a position that opposes that conclusion.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
r19 wrote:

jokschmer wrote:
IMO There is no main conclusion in this CR, but there is only one intermediate conclusion in the first statement. Main conclusion must be from author not from any actor in the argument. all the information in the argument is premises.

Dear r19 & jokschmer,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The main conclusion of the argument is the closing statement, the second BF statement.

jokschmer said: "Main conclusion must be from author not from any actor in the argument." My friend, with all due respect, that is 100% false. In real world arguments it often happens that a conclusion is a quote from some authoritative voice: this does not happen as frequently on the GMAT CR, but it's a totally legitimate structure.

To r19, I would say: every CR argument has a main conclusion. It's not always the last statement and it's not always completely clear, but there's always something the author of the passage wants the reader to conclude. This is a microcosm of the real world. In the real world, nobody writes an article unless she has a point that she want to convey.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
r19 wrote:

jokschmer wrote:

Dear r19 & jokschmer,

The main conclusion of the argument is the closing statement, the second BF statement.

jokschmer said: "Main conclusion must be from author not from any actor in the argument." My friend, with all due respect, that is 100% false. In real world arguments it often happens that a conclusion is a quote from some authoritative voice: this does not happen as frequently on the GMAT CR, but it's a totally legitimate structure.

To r19, I would say: every CR argument has a main conclusion. It's not always the last statement and it's not always completely clear, but there's always something the author of the passage wants the reader to conclude. This is a microcosm of the real world. In the real world, nobody writes an article unless she has a point that she want to convey.

Yup got it! ,Thanks ,even I thought 2nd BF is the main conclusion but got confused with the options and couldn't mark right answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Can you please tell me what 'interpretation of conclusion' means in option B? Does that mean an evidence?

Also - why is option C incorrect? If the conclusion is taken as the 2nd BF, then first statement does call the conclusion into question. Doesn't it?

Thanks!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Chef wrote:

Also - why is option C incorrect? If the conclusion is taken as the 2nd BF, then first statement does call the conclusion into question. Doesn't it?

Chef in option C C) The first is an interpretation that calls the conclusion into question; the second is that conclusion.
interpretation means explaining the meaning of something while BF 1 is not giving any explanation it is the reasoning to support premise given before BF 1. So it is wrong
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

Official Explanation Magoosh:

In this argument, view #1 is that of the optimistic politicians, who look to the first piece of evidence #1, the jobless rate decline, for proof. That first piece of evidence is the first bold statement. Then view #2 is that of the economists. They cite more evidence, evidence that calls into question the politician's optimism in view #1. Finally, we get the economist's conclusion, view #2, the second boldface statement.

How to express that? The second is definitely the main conclusion of the argument, but the first, evidence #1, is not necessarily something the economists would reject, not something that opposes the economists or calls their view into question. The economists are well aware that the jobless rate has declined: they simply cite additional facts that cast this first fact in a different light. One way to say it is --- the first boldface statement, evidence #1, was used to support one conclusion, view #1, and the second boldface statement is a second conclusion, view #2, that calls the first into question.

This is what (E) says. (E) is the credited response.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
PLEASE TELL ME THE CONCLUSION , I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND IT !!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Ub135 wrote:
PLEASE TELL ME THE CONCLUSION , I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND IT !!

Hello, Ub135. In general, I would advise against making a post in all caps. (In fact, I think it may be mentioned somewhere that such posts will be deleted by a moderator.) In the interest of helping you, however, have you read the above dialogue, especially those posts by mikemcgarry and aragonn? They should help explain the different roles the sentences are playing in the passage. You should be able to pick up on the idea that the optimistic view of the state politicians mentioned in the first line is not shared by many economists, who are mentioned for the first time after the contrasting word but. Also, the final line mentions grave doubts. That does not sound too rosy or optimistic to me. If you understand the passage layout, answering the question proves much more straightforward. If you make the beginner mistake of skipping the parts of the passage that are not in boldface, then the task will prove much more challenging.

Please let me know if you have further questions once you have read through the above responses. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
r19 wrote:

jokschmer wrote:

Dear r19 & jokschmer,

Hi Mike,

You say that second BF is a conclusion. Than how come the correct answer is E, when it says that the second is a position that opposes that conclusion. I think the conclusion mentioned in E is what politicians think and the second BF is a position of the economists.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts