Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [26]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [6]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is [#permalink]
Kudos
well there are 10 * 9 possible starting places for the triangle.

There are 4 different orientations (IE rotate it 90 degrees four times).

BUt there are twice as many triangles in actuality because we need to invert/flip it.

So 10*9*4*2 = 720
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-20-2013
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
I did not understand the solution can you please help
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jasu0072005 wrote:
I did not understand the solution can you please help

Please see the entire blog article:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/
You will find a full explanation there.
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Suppose i want to go by another approach,one that does not take rectangles into the picture.

Let us make this our XY coordinate system.
Let us call the triangle ABC so that A has the right angle AB is parallel to the X axis and AC is parallel to the Y axis(in one of the possible orientations).

Case 1: horizontal is 2 units long and vertical is one unit long(for triangle ABC)

Point A: It has 9 options for its X coordinate and 10 options for the Y coordinate. So 90 possible options for A
Point B: will always be restricted by the length given in the question. So only 1 option possible.
Point C:will always be restricted by the vertical length given . so only one option.

So total number of triangles possible in this orientation=90.

SImilarly, we will have 90 triangles possible with this fixed orientation and with the vertical length =2units.

Summing, we have 90+90=180 triangles possible.
Now, this where I get stuck.

Could you help me how to go ahead with the number of different orientations possible?
Maybe with permutations perhaps??

Thanks in advance
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Expert Reply
Dear bhang,

You are not counting all orientations. For example, for Case I, 2 units hor & 1 units vert ----- Is B to the right or left of A? Is C above or below A? You see, for any Case I triangle,you are only counting B to the right of A and C above A, but either one of those could still be different.
Did you read my full solution on the linked page above?

12bhang wrote:
Hi Mike,

Suppose i want to go by another approach,one that does not take rectangles into the picture.

Let us call the triangle ABC so that A has the right angle AB is parallel to the X axis and AC is parallel to the Y axis(in one of the possible orientations).

Case 1: horizontal is 2 units long and vertical is one unit long(for triangle ABC)

Point A: It has 9 options for its X coordinate and 10 options for the Y coordinate. So 90 possible options for A
Point B: will always be restricted by the length given in the question. So only 1 option possible.
Point C:will always be restricted by the vertical length given . so only one option.

SImilarly, we will have 90 triangles possible with this fixed orientation and with the vertical length =2units.

Could you help me how to go ahead with the number of different orientations possible?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear bhang,

You are not counting all orientations. For example, for Case I, 2 units hor & 1 units vert ----- Is B to the right or left of A? Is C above or below A? You see, for any Case I triangle,you are only counting B to the right of A and C above A, but either one of those could still be different.
Did you read my full solution on the linked page above?

12bhang wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance

Hey mike why didnt you use the number of points (121) and used only orientations and inversion?
For eg in case -2<x<4 and 6<y<16, we count all the points?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is [#permalink]
My take on this one.. can be solved in the 90 sec time...
Congruent triangles will fit on each other perfectly essentially triangles of same dimensions.
the only orientations possible are picking 2 spaces i.e.,3 dots horizontally or vertically.
If you see diagonally the length of the sides will be longer. hence only two possible orientations.
Horizontally
out of 10 spaces we need 2 continuous spaces...so 9c2(we need two continuous spaces hence 2 spaces will be considered as 1)
the one space 10c1
Total :9c2 * 10C1 =360
Vertically same :360
total 360*2=720

*Please feel free to point out any errors in my reasoning*
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
@
goforgmat wrote:
Congruent triangles will fit on each other perfectly essentially triangles of same dimensions.
the only orientations possible are picking 2 spaces i.e.,3 dots horizontally or vertically.
If you see diagonally the length of the sides will be longer. hence only two possible orientations.
Horizontally
out of 10 spaces we need 2 continuous spaces...so 9c2(we need two continuous spaces hence 2 spaces will be considered as 1)
the one space 10c1
total 360*2=720

Can you please explain why we need 10 spaces horizontally? (or vertically)? can you please walk me through the way of thinking??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Kudos
georgekaterji wrote:
@
goforgmat wrote:
Horizontally
the one space 10c1
total 360*2=720

Can you please explain why we need 10 spaces horizontally? (or vertically)? can you please walk me through the way of thinking??

We need to connect three dots (horizontally or vertically), three dots continuously has 2 spaces continuously. We cant select any two spaces we need to select two continuous ones so we need to treat 2 continuous as 1 hence selecting 9c2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
I got a dumb method but it works.

Forget about points, let's count squares.

Start with 1 square, you get 0 triangles.
Now, add a square beside it, then you are able to draw 4 triangles using two diagonals. (+4)
Then draw another square below our first square, OR beside our second square, we get 8 triangles. (+4)
Then, draw another square that connects to the existing horizontal row or the vertical column. You get 12 triangles (+4)
If you keep this going, you get a vertically inverted L shape.
you can also notice a pattern where with every additional square you get 4 more triangles.

So, according to the grid, to the right of the square 1, we have 9 squares. Below square 1, we also have 9 squares.
A total of 18 additional squares will get you 18*4=72 triangles.

Now that we have the L shaped frame, lets complete the inner part of the grid.
If you draw a square below the second square of the horizontal row OR to the right of the second square of the vertical column, you get 8 more triangles by connecting diagonals with the square above it, or the square beside it.
Then, draw another square beside OR below that, and you would get 8 more triangles.
You'll eventually realize that when a new square is drawn with two of its sides connected to the existing squares, you'd get to create 8 diagonals, instead of 4 from the "L" frame.

So, for the 11x11 grid, we have a total of 100 squares. Subtract the 19 squares we have in the inverted "L" shape, we have 81 squares left.
Since every new square within the inverted "L" frame produces 8 new triangles, we get 81*8=648 triangles.

Total=72+648=720 triangles.

Answer, D.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts