Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4041 [35]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [9]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts [#permalink]
Kudos
Though I picked the correct answer.

I have a doubt (may be because of over reading the same sentence).

Can we parallel chip and expand in option C?

Why can't we consider "The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to" an initial non-parallel part?

To elaborate....

The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries

and

The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to expand the immigrants’ earnings in the United States.

I know we can also eliminate C based on the usage of apostrophe "immigrants’ earnings" because "the earnings of immigrants in the United States" is more precise than "immigrants’ earnings in the United States"

please respond
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts [#permalink]
Kudos
emmak wrote:
The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.
A)far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.
B)far reaching, economic experts say, as it is providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expand the earnings of immigrants in the United States.
C)far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty and expand the immigrants’ earnings in the United States.
D)far reaching, economic experts say, by providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries while it expands the earnings of immigrants in the United States.
E)far reaching, economic experts say, in that they provide a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries, expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.

I am confused. When we remove extra information from a sentence, shouldn`t we remove it with comma?
Here "economic experts say" is an extra information, and if we remove it from sentence with the commas associated, then the Verb+ing modifier (providing) has no comma left.
Realy need help, Please reply...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
My meaning analysis
The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts say,
providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and
expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States

A is correct- no error
B Parallelism - expand and providing. Moreover pronoun IT is not having a correct antecedent.
C other countries is missing changing the meaning as if the poverty is removed in only US.
D Pronoun error IT.
E Changes meaning as if expanding is done so as to provide. :) .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.

Two adverbial modifiers are parallel - Answer A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts say,
This is original sentence & my doubt is here two I.P clause join just by comma . all the five option are same .
plz expert advice where i miss concept .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
aniteshgmat1101 wrote:
emmak wrote:
The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.
A)far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.
B)far reaching, economic experts say, as it is providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expand the earnings of immigrants in the United States.
C)far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty and expand the immigrants’ earnings in the United States.
D)far reaching, economic experts say, by providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries while it expands the earnings of immigrants in the United States.
E)far reaching, economic experts say, in that they provide a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries, expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.

I am confused. When we remove extra information from a sentence, shouldn`t we remove it with comma?
Here "economic experts say" is an extra information, and if we remove it from sentence with the commas associated, then the Verb+ing modifier (providing) has no comma left.
Realy need help, Please reply...

Hi,

Please try to make your understanding as simple as possible. Here the main subject is "The benefits". The benefits are far reaching , [HOW] 1. Providing a powerful.. and 2. Expanding...
these are two ing modifiers which should point to the subject of main clause to provide the extra information.
B : it incorrect subject reference.
C : Changes the meaning ( new subject vehicle, verbs chip and expand).
D : while introduces simultaneous actions so debilitating the meaning. it (refers to the vehicle again.)
E : we need to join two ideas referring to a subject with and/aswell as/and also, due to which the construction is ambiguous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Kudos
Why in (C), "expand" be parallel to "chip away", still seems to make sense by telling the advantages of the policies?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
I also marked C, but then realised later that it changes the meaning. This option removes key words "in other nations" after chip away at poverty. I think this changes the meaning and hence means that this option is wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM

(A) far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States

(B) far reaching, economic experts say, as it is providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expand the earnings of immigrants in the United States

-- 'benefits' is plural

(C) far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty and expand the immigrants’ earnings in the United States

-- 'expand' is not parallel to 'providing'

(D) far reaching, economic experts say, by providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries while it expands the earnings of immigrants in the United States

-- 'benefits' is plural

(E) far reaching, economic experts say, in that they provide a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries, expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States

-- Parallelism issue.

Answer is A.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
I see the parallelism in a, but can one argue that this is a parallelism trap? i.e. providing and expanding modify the economic experts? I am not a fan of their placement here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts [#permalink]
Although option A has been marked as correct sentence, but the adverbial modifier "providing" and "expanding" don't make sense with the subject of the sentence, "benefits". It is the "policies" and not the "benefits" that are "providing a powerful vehicle.." and "expanding the earnings.."

A. The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts say, providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.

Whenever an ing-modifier is separated out of the main clause by comma, then subject of the main clause should make sense with the ing-modifier.
Whether "Benefits" are "providing" a powerful vehicle or "expanding" the earnings? Clearly no. Instead, providing a powerful vehicle or expanding the earnings themselves are benefits.

Expert kindly help ...

Originally posted by abhishekmayank on 03 Jun 2021, 10:21.
Last edited by abhishekmayank on 10 Aug 2022, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
The benefits of the new policies are far reaching, economic experts [#permalink]
Not satisfied with either the question or its explanations :

Option A :

When ing-modifier is separated by the main clause by comma, then subject should make sense with the modifier.
Whether "Benefits" are "providing" powerful vehicle or "expanding" the earnings ? Clearly no. Instead, providing vehicle and expanding the earnings themselves are benefits.

Experts, kindly help
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Not satisfied with either the question or its explanations :

Option A :

When ing-modifier is separated by the main clause by comma, then subject should make sense with the modifier.
Whether "Benefits" are "providing" powerful vehicle or "expanding" the earnings ? Clearly no. Instead, providing vehicle and expanding the earnings themselves are benefits.

Experts, kindly help

Hello abhishekmayank,

We hope this finds you well.

To clarify, the intended meaning here is, indeed, that the benefits of the new policies are far reaching, and as a result, these benefits are providing a powerful vehicle to chip away at poverty in other countries and expanding the earnings of immigrants in the United States.

The logic here is that the policies produce certain benefits, and these benefits take two further actions - a perfectly logical meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts