Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [15]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [3]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eliminate bus [#permalink]
Kudos
umeshpatil wrote:
'The company wins 65% of the business it pitches in person'
If above line is correct, e-mail, document, telephone calls would help to get around 35% of total business. I guess this should be more correct. In person pitches means shows practical interaction in front of each other.

E)Non-verbal communication plays an important role in guiding the presenters of a new business pitch to the areas they should focus most on during the presentation.

Non-verbal communication is also possible with video conferencing. So, this doesn't weaken the in person business model.

Maybe its possible with video conferencing, but the problem only specifies emails, telephones, and document exchange. So confefencng is irrelevant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eliminate bus [#permalink]
Why (D) IS WRONG? anyone to explain more clearly?
Thanks !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Practicegmat wrote:
Why (D) IS WRONG? anyone to explain more clearly?
Thanks !

D)The company wins 65% of the business it pitches in person

We don't have any data to compare, so the company could win 90% of its pithces on telephone => good idea to cut travels
or could win 10% of its pitches on telephone => bad idea to cut travels
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eliminate business travel for new business pitches. Instead, all communication with potential new business will be handled and pitched via email, document exchange and telephone calls.

Which of the following, if true, identifies a weakness of the new business model?
A)The firm has many local clients that do not require significant business travel
B)The average trip to pitch new business takes 2 full days when factoring in all travel and requires a 3 person team
C)Many employees of the consulting firm see travel for business pitches as a perk of the job
E)Non-verbal communication plays an important role in guiding the presenters of a new business pitch to the areas they should focus most on during the presentation.
=========
The premise -> the company plans to make cost cutting.
The conclusion -> the source of cost cutting is replacement of business travel (personal meetings) for non-personal communication (email,phone)
The assumption -> the cost cutting should not negatively affect current sales and business volumes; if it does then there is no economic sense in cost cutting.
The answer should - > assure that whether there will be no significant effect in expenses reduction (if travel costs are not significant in the whole cost structure) or there could be loss of some business.
A) As majority of business comes from local transactions, the elimination of travel will not affect volumes of business but reduce the expenses - it strengthens the plans of management.
B) 3 persons for 2 full days sounds like significant expenses and there is great chance (we don't know it precisely) it constitutes significant part of cost structure, so if the firm replaces it for non-personal communication cost cutting will be good, but we do not know how it will affect business sales in general (how many new contracts are gained by those 3 persons during 2 full days ?) - this statement partially strengthen the conclusion.
C) No information about impact on cost structure and current sales levels - neutral.
D) No information what share of those 65% percents are contributed by traveling. Probably, all those 65% are done locally, and traveling is ineffective in terms of new business creation - neutral.
E) It's said that generally non-verbal communication (i.e. travelling) plays significant role in the service level of the consulting firm as its consultant could not emphasize on crucial areas without non-verbal communication and provide value to their clients. So it's implied that business sales of the firm could be negatively affected without travelling; despite the absence of information about cost structure this statement is the only one which weakens the argument at least partially.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 4
Send PM
VadimKlimenko wrote:
In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eliminate business travel for new business pitches. Instead, all communication with potential new business will be handled and pitched via email, document exchange and telephone calls.

Which of the following, if true, identifies a weakness of the new business model?
A)The firm has many local clients that do not require significant business travel
B)The average trip to pitch new business takes 2 full days when factoring in all travel and requires a 3 person team
C)Many employees of the consulting firm see travel for business pitches as a perk of the job
=========
The premise -> the company plans to make cost cutting.
The conclusion -> the source of cost cutting is replacement of business travel (personal meetings) for non-personal communication (email,phone)
The assumption -> the cost cutting should not negatively affect current sales and business volumes; if it does then there is no economic sense in cost cutting.
The answer should - > assure that whether there will be no significant effect in expenses reduction (if travel costs are not significant in the whole cost structure) or there could be loss of some business.
A) As majority of business comes from local transactions, the elimination of travel will not affect volumes of business but reduce the expenses - it strengthens the plans of management.
B) 3 persons for 2 full days sounds like significant expenses and there is great chance (we don't know it precisely) it constitutes significant part of cost structure, so if the firm replaces it for non-personal communication cost cutting will be good, but we do not know how it will affect business sales in general (how many new contracts are gained by those 3 persons during 2 full days ?) - this statement partially strengthen the conclusion.
C) No information about impact on cost structure and current sales levels - neutral.
D) No information what share of those 65% percents are contributed by traveling. Probably, all those 65% are done locally, and traveling is ineffective in terms of new business creation - neutral.
E) It's said that generally non-verbal communication (i.e. travelling) plays significant role in the service level of the consulting firm as its consultant could not emphasize on crucial areas without non-verbal communication and provide value to their clients. So it's implied that business sales of the firm could be negatively affected without travelling; despite the absence of information about cost structure this statement is the only one which weakens the argument at least partially.

How does non-verbal communication relate to travel? Please explain.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi -

Non-verbal is body language - so the sort of thing you can only get in person.

So if you stop travel you stop face to face meetings and hence limit the ability for non verbal communication...

James
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
guerrero25 wrote:

A very good question for people like me who try to read too quickly and miss the most important 'words' of the argument.The argument is about new business pitches. i chose answer choice A that might be more precise if the argument is about current businesses but when we talk about new businesses answer choice A gets knocked out. Now, i eliminated B,C and D. By the time i read E , i was done reading and was too excited to mark the answer choice A and be happy that i finished the question in one minute. But Phew, i was wrong my one minute investment in reading the stimulus, which was easy to understand than most of the RC passages, just resulted to nothing. I got the incorrect answer.

Morale of the story : Read all the answer choices and get the easy questions right!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
Hi -

So if you stop travel you stop face to face meetings and hence limit the ability for non verbal communication...

James

Yes, but important doesn't mean that deals fail because it's absent.
On the other hand, D, clearly states that most of the business (65%) is won by person to person.

Also, non verbal can be all kinds of signs, presents, courtships of a new client and so on....

Can anyone explain a little more about D vs E and why my diagnoses is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
Hi -

James

If a person goes and meets the client.How can it be non verbal?
E is not clear to me
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
tricky one- I read D as " The company wins 65% of all its business through in person pitches". It actually turned out that the company wins 65% of all the in person pitches.

So if you are wondering D is wrong, you would know why!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Send PM
I think C is also quite compelling, as it could imply that if the company cuts travel all together it might lose employees or is less attractive to high-potentials in the future.

Thats why I chose it, it was between C and E and E somehow sounded too easy :/
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Non-verbal communication:

1. Behavior and elements of speech aside from the words themselves that transmit meaning. Non-verbal communication includes pitch, speed, tone and volume of voice, gestures and facial expressions, body posture, stance, and proximity to the listener, eye movements and contact, and dress and appearance.

2. Transmission of messages by a medium other than speech or writing.

Read more: https://www.businessdictionary.com/defin ... ation.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMATNinja Bunuel VeritasKarishma

Could you please explain why E?
Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts