Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4417 [253]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618557 [92]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [48]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [25]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
You have |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

First, look at the three values independently of their absolute value sign, in other words:
|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|
(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x)

Now, you're looking at x < - 8, so x is a number less than -8. Let's pretend x = -10 here to make things a bit easier to understand.

when x=-10

I.) (x+3)
(-10+3)
(-7)

II.) (4-x)
(4-[-10]) (double negative, so it becomes positive)
(4+10)
(14)

III.) (8+x)
(8+-10)
(-2)

In other words, when x < -8, (x+3) and (8+x) are NEGATIVE. To solve problems like this, we need to check for the sign change.

Here is how I do it step by step.

I.) |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

II.) IGNORE absolute value signs (for now) and find the values of x which make (x+3), (4-x) and (8+x) = to zero as follows:

(x+3)
x=-3
(-3+3) = 0

(4-x)
x=4
(4-4) = 0

(8+x)
x=-8
(8+-8) = 0

Order them from least to greatest: x=-8, x=-3, x=4 These become our ranges for x as follows:

x<-8
-8≤x<-3
-3≤x<4
x>4

So, we test values less than the smallest number, values of x between the smallest and largest number, and values of x greater than the greatest number.

So, now we test the original (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) with x values. This is where the sign changes in the equation become important. We need to find the number of solutions for this problem so we need to see for which values of x the problem is valid or not valid. For example:

When x < -8

(x+3) is a negative number
(4-x) is a positive number
(8+x) is a negative number

So

-(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x)
-x-3 -4+x = -8-x
-7=-8-x
1=-x
x=-1

Now, we are looking at values for x < -8, yet the result we got was x = -1. -1 DOES NOT fall in the range or x < -1. If you don't understand why simply draw a number line, mark down x< -8 and x=-1. Is -1 less than -8? Nope! Therefore, -1 is NOT a valid solution.

You can repeat this step for the remaining ranges of x.

I hope this helped you! :-D

rrsnathan wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?

Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !

|x| = x when x >= 0 (x is either positive or 0)
|x| = -x when x < 0 (note here that you can put the equal to sign here as well x <= 0 because if x = 0,
|0| = 0 = -0 (all are the same)
So the '=' sign can be put with x > 0 or with x < 0. We usually put it with 'x > 0' for consistency.

When we are considering ranges, say,
x < -8 ------ x is less than -8
-8 <= x < -3 ------- x is greater than or equal to -8 but less than -3
-3 <= x < 4 ------- x is greater than or equal to -3 but less than 4
x >=4 -------- x is greater than or equal to 4

We need to include the transition points (-8, -3, 4) somewhere so we include them with greater than sign.

Mind you, we could have taken the ranges as
x <= -8
-8 < x <= -3
-3 < x <= 4
x > 4

The only point is that we don't include the transition points twice.

Hope the role of '=' sign is clear.

Hi Have a small doubt sounds silly but i need to understand this basic.
I could understand this part "There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4".
But why is that for all the cases like a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) negative sign is added before the three brackets?

Thanks in advance,
RRSNATHAN.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 371 [9]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
You do it in the proper way. This method is called the "critical values" method. And once you have the critical values (by doing each absolute term equal to zero), you have to place them in the Real numbers line to make all the possible intervals. Then you just do the intervals as follows: x<lowest number in your real line, and then you take the intervals from each critical value to before the next one: i.e. x<-8, -8<=x<-3, -3<=x<4, x<=4. Therefore, you are getting all the possible intervals in the real line, and splitting the intervals from one critical value (including it) to before the next critical value (not including it).

Then, as you have done, you just set the predominant sign for each term under each condition, you solve the equation, and finally you check if the result saqtisfies the condition.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [11]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Can someone tell me if this approach is correct?

|x+3|-|4-x|=|8+x|

So we have:

x=-3
x=4
x=-8

x<-8
-(x+3) - (4+x) = -(8+x)
-x-3 - 4 - x = -8-x
-2x-7=-8-x
1=x (fails, as x is 1 when it must be less than -8)

-8<x<-3
-(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x)
-x-3 -4+x=8+x
-7=8+x
-15=x (fails, as x is -15 when it must be between -8 and -3)

-3<x<4
(x+3)-(4+x)=8+x
-1=8+x
-9=x (fails, as x is -9 when it must be between -3 and 4)

x>4
(x+3) - -(4-x) = (8+x)
x+3 - (-4+x) = (8+x)
x+3 +4-x=8+x
7=8+x
x=-1 (fails, as x=-1 when it must be greater than 4)

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [2]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Bookmarks
guerrero25 wrote:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !

|x| = -x when x < 0 (note here that you can put the equal to sign here as well x <= 0 because if x = 0,
So the '=' sign can be put with x > 0 or with x < 0. We usually put it with 'x > 0' for consistency.

We need to include the transition points (-8, -3, 4) somewhere so we include them with greater than sign.

x <= -8
-8 < x <= -3
-3 < x <= 4
x > 4

But why is that for all the cases like a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) negative sign is added before the three brackets?

Thanks in advance,
RRSNATHAN.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rrsnathan wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

thanks !

x <= -8
-8 < x <= -3
-3 < x <= 4
x > 4

Thanks in advance,
RRSNATHAN.

|x+3|-|4-x|=|8+x|
|x+3|-|x-4|=|x+8| (since it is a mod, |4-x| is the same as |x-4|)

Now key points are -8, -3 and 4.

When x <= -8, all three expressions (x + 3), (x - 4) and (x + 8) are negative when x <= -8.
So |x+3| = - (x + 3) (using the definition of mod)
|x-4| = - (x - 4)
|x+8| = - (x + 8)

Definition of mod:
|x| = -x when x < 0
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 570 Q31 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q43 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Dear all,

I have understood the concept of critical points and applied it successfully when solving this question. My problem is time. It took me well over 3min to solve this question.
Can someone check my method and tell me where I am losing the time or on which part I might be able to speed up/take a shortcut?

What I did:
1. Find special points at first glance --> -8, -3, 4
2. Set up equation for x < -8 and solve --> x=9 which is not in defined range --> stop
3. Set up equation for -8 <= x < -3 and solve --> x=-7/3 which is not in defined range --> stop
4. Set up equation for -3 <= x < 4 and solve --> x=-1 which IS in defined range --> check in original equation --> -3 = 7 --> no solution
5. Set up equation for x => 4 and solve --> x=9 which IS in defined range --> check in original equation --> 7 = 17 --> no solution
6. Answer is zero solutions --> A

Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I am stuck on this part in the Gmat Club book. I do understand how the conditions are set. But I can't figure out how the values for x were determined in those conditions. Ill use just a and b:

Where do the x = ' ' values come from? I have been staring at this for half an hour.
I understood the whole concept in the '3-steps approach' but the '3-steps approach for complex problems' has me stuck suddenly. There goes mij GMAT-Mojo! Anyone able to help me get it back? Thanks.

BTW: Is this 650+ level?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
MadCowMartin wrote:
I am stuck on this part in the Gmat Club book. I do understand how the conditions are set. But I can't figure out how the values for x were determined in those conditions. Ill use just a and b:

Where do the x = ' ' values come from? I have been staring at this for half an hour.
I understood the whole concept in the '3-steps approach' but the '3-steps approach for complex problems' has me stuck suddenly. There goes mij GMAT-Mojo! Anyone able to help me get it back? Thanks.

BTW: Is this 650+ level?

Well look at the question again, its :

|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x|
Lets try to make all the terms positive first,

|x+3| = |x+8| + |x-4| ( since |x-a| = |a-x|)

Now you can see that for |x+3|, it will be have differently for

x>-3 and x<-3

since, refer to the property |x| = x for x>=0, and |x| = -x for x<0

hence, same way for |x+8|, will behave differently for x>-8 and x<-8

and for |x-4| will behave differently for x>4 and x<4

therefore, we get our conditions : (put it on the number line for clarity)

Hope this helps.
Attachments

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 4.12 KiB | Viewed 59854 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [3]
Send PM
Kudos