Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [134]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q41  V40 GMAT 2: 720  Q47  V42
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Real estate investment consulting
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [63]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [12]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
Here, there is a gerund problem 'the short and long terms'.
b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
There is unnecessary wording here at the end
d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
Here, what does 'these' refer to in this sentence
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term
Again, what does 'these' refer to

So, I will go with B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]
Kudos
Heres my take on this:

D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

it may be possible shows uncertainity, while the original sentence has certainity so i'm going to eliminate this answer.

E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

These does not have a clear antecedent. The operation's products? Off with this option.

A,B,C all seem pretty close.

C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term.

its does not have a clear antecedent. In this sentence it seems to refer to the goals of the company's products. So off with this option too.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

Again, its does not seem to have an antecedent.

B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

Here the company is mentioned in the first line itself. A company's managers can... in order to meet its short and long term goals.

The word managers can be removed and still the sentence would be fine.
A company can...in order to meet its...goals.

Also...each of the company's products... is written instead of 'each of its products' to avoid reference to 'managers'.

So B seems to be the best answer.

Of course since you have already mentioned that B is the answer, our minds will be a bit biased. Would help if you would put the answer in a spoiler.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all, I know I'm bumping a very old thread, but I just encountered this problem, and consider all the choices to be wrong.

I got the question correct, choosing B as the lesser of five evils.

However, it uses the pronoun 'its' which does not have a proper antecedent. You can assume that the antecedent should be 'the company'. However, if you notice, 'company' never exists as a noun in the sentence, only "a company's managers" and "the company's products".

Am I missing something here?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
‘Its’ is a possessive pronoun and the ‘company’s’ is also a possessive noun. What more is required for proper reference? May I know the reason for asking for a possessive pronoun to stand for a non-possessive noun such as “a company”.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
alexBLR wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Just based on sentence structure, the only possible answers can be narrowed down to (B) and (E).
Both allow the "-ING" verb to describe the subject of the main part of the sentence after the comma.

However in (E), it's unclear what "these products" is referring to.

In (B), it is much clearer when the sentence says "company's products." Sure, the sentence does not directly mention "company" earlier in the sentence. Instead it says "a company's managers"---but still it's pretty clear what we're talking about here. Much clearer than it is in (E).

Could (B) have been written to be even clearer by directly saying "company" instead of "a company's..."---sure. But remember the GMAT exam is never black or white. It's not about what is absolutely technically correct. Doing well is about choosing the best of the available answer choices. And in the case, don't waste time by mulling over minute details in (B). (B) is the best from the list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
I am going for A, simply because all other options have included "manager". What is the guarantee that managers are who are supposedly planning operations? Aren't we unnecessarily introducing a new term?

Just a BIG guess.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The essence of a dangling modifier is the absence of the modified noun and we are required to bring it into the sentence, although it may not be there in the original. For example:

After frying in the pan, the entire lot of fish was eaten.

Who ate the fish? This is tricky and GOK; so this is a defective sentence. Now let’s make it more sensible by introducing a new factor namely the doer of the action or the modified noun of the participial modifier after frying in the pan.

After frying in the pan, the cook ate the entire lot of fish.

Now this sentence is better. Thus in dangling modifier cases, the introduction of the doer turns the sentence meaningful and straight. This is how the term manager has crept in royally and grammatically in the correct choice in the given text
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi Shraddha,

I was also between stuck in the end between B and E but then E was knocked because of the parallelism error in both the x and the y, however, I want to understand isnt it referring back to Company and then I remember reading about possessive poison.

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [9]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

I was also between stuck in the end between B and E but then E was knocked because of the parallelism error in both the x and the y, however, I want to understand isnt it referring back to Company and then I remember reading about possessive poison.

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

This is the sentence with Choice E:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

In this sentence, along with the parallelism issue that you have mentioned, “each of these products” has no reference. What are these “each of these products”? Does the sentence contain a list of products to which this phrase can be referred? No. This reference error makes choice E incorrect.

Now let’s analyze the sentence with choice B:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals.

Pronoun “its” is a possessive noun. This means it must refer to a possessive noun. There is only one possessive noun in the sentence – “company’s”. So without any ambiguity, possessive “its” is referring to “company’s”. If we replace “its” with “company’s” we get the logical intended meaning of the sentence:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet company’s short and long term goals.
Hence, this choice is error free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4323 [3]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
alexBLR wrote:

Official Explanation:

This sentence begins with a modifier, yet leaves absent who will be applying optimization techniques (This is termed a "dangling" modifier.) Also, the sentence is unnecessarily wordy in its use of the phrases “ought to” and “in both the short and long terms.”

(A) This choice incorrectly repeats the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. The sentence correctly places “a company’s managers” adjacent to the modifier such that the meaning is clear, and the sentence is otherwise concise.

(C) This answer does not correct the original modifier error. It also weakens the sentence by replacing the active voice with the passive voice in its use of “can be determined by company managers.” The sentence’s concluding use of “goals, both short and long term” is awkward.

(D) This answer does not correct the original modifier error. In this choice, the phrase “may be possible” is unnecessary and weakens the sentence. This choice also incorrectly uses the word “these,” as the products have not been referenced earlier in the sentence.

(E) This sentence resolves the modifier issue, but incorrectly uses the word “these,” as the products have not been referenced earlier in the sentence. This choice is also wordy in its use of “ought to” and “in both the short and long term.”

HOPE IT HELPS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [3]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.3
Send PM