Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [43]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [20]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [11]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
WE:Account Management (Accounting)
Send PM
Probability [#permalink]
Qs:

Every passenger on a certain airplane is from either Japan or Australia; no one is from both. Every passenger is reading either a novel or a biography; no one is reading both. If a passenger is to be selected at random, is the probability that the passenger is both from Japan and reading a novel greater than the probability that the passenger is both from Australia and reading a biography.

(1) The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Japan or reading a novel or both is .

(2) The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Australia or reading a biography or both is .

a!Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient.

b!Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient.

c!BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.

d!EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

e!Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Probability [#permalink]
Expert Reply
garry_arora2000 wrote:
Qs:

Every passenger on a certain airplane is from either Japan or Australia; no one is from both. Every passenger is reading either a novel or a biography; no one is reading both. If a passenger is to be selected at random, is the probability that the passenger is both from Japan and reading a novel greater than the probability that the passenger is both from Australia and reading a biography.

(1) The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Japan or reading a novel or both is .

(2) The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Australia or reading a biography or both is .

a!Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient.

b!Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient.

c!BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.

d!EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

e!Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Merging similar topics.

Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to the rules 1, 3, 7 and 10. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Every passenger on a certain airplane is from either Japan [#permalink]
Hello all,

I am extremely sorry if this is not the correct place to ask but I could not find any other suitable section, so I am asking my query here.
Can someone(quant experts) please help me on probability - concepts and questions. I am quite good in other areas including permutation and combination.
My weaknes in probability is I do not know the resources to refer to improve my understanding and solve tough intermediate and tough problems.

Please guide since probability questions are most likely to come as the score increases.

Thanks.!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
zerosleep wrote:
Hello all,

I am extremely sorry if this is not the correct place to ask but I could not find any other suitable section, so I am asking my query here.
Can someone(quant experts) please help me on probability - concepts and questions. I am quite good in other areas including permutation and combination.
My weaknes in probability is I do not know the resources to refer to improve my understanding and solve tough intermediate and tough problems.

Please guide since probability questions are most likely to come as the score increases.

Thanks.!!

Theory on Combinations: math-combinatorics-87345.html

DS questions on Combinations: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=31
PS questions on Combinations: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=52

Tough and tricky questions on Combinations: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

Theory on probability problems: math-probability-87244.html

All DS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54

Tough probability questions: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q46 V30
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
garry_arora2000 wrote:
Qs:

You needn't give the standard 5 options for DS questions. They are the same for every question and people know them.

Make a table:

....................Japan...........Australia
Novel.............JN....................AN
Biography.......JB.....................AB

We need to know whether JN is greater than AB. JN represents number of people from Japan and reading a novel. AB represents number of people from Australia and reading a Biography and so on.
JN + AN + JB + AB = total number of people

(1) The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Japan or reading a novel or both is 208/251.

Novel.............JN.....................AN
Biography......JB.....................AB

JN + AN + JB represent the passengers who are either from Japan or reading a novel or both. They sum up to 208 if total number of passengers is 251. This means AB = 251 - 208 = 43. But we don't know the value of JN so we cannot compare JN with AB.

(2) The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Australia or reading a biography or both is 172/251.
Biography......JB......................AB

AN + AB + JB = 172
So JN = 251 - 172 = 79
We don't AB so statement 2 alone is not sufficient to answer.

Using both statements we know AB = 43 and JN = 79 so JN is greater. Sufficient.
Answer (C)

i do not understand why you say "JN + AN + JB represent the passengers who are either from Japan or reading a novel or both" . Shouldn't it be (JN+JB) + (JN+AN) + (JN) , which makes it 3JN+AN+JB. Please help!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GIGMAT wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
garry_arora2000 wrote:
Qs:

You needn't give the standard 5 options for DS questions. They are the same for every question and people know them.

Make a table:

Novel.............JN....................AN
Biography.......JB.....................AB

We need to know whether JN is greater than AB. JN represents number of people from Japan and reading a novel. AB represents number of people from Australia and reading a Biography and so on.
JN + AN + JB + AB = total number of people

(1) The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Japan or reading a novel or both is 208/251.

Biography......JB.....................AB

JN + AN + JB represent the passengers who are either from Japan or reading a novel or both. They sum up to 208 if total number of passengers is 251. This means AB = 251 - 208 = 43. But we don't know the value of JN so we cannot compare JN with AB.

(2) The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Australia or reading a biography or both is 172/251.
Biography......JB......................AB

AN + AB + JB = 172
So JN = 251 - 172 = 79
We don't AB so statement 2 alone is not sufficient to answer.

Using both statements we know AB = 43 and JN = 79 so JN is greater. Sufficient.
Answer (C)

i do not understand why you say "JN + AN + JB represent the passengers who are either from Japan or reading a novel or both" . Shouldn't it be (JN+JB) + (JN+AN) + (JN) , which makes it 3JN+AN+JB. Please help!

You are counting instances, not people. We need the number of people instead.

JN is the number of people who are Japanese and reading novels. JB is the number of people who are Japanese and reading biographies. Total JN and JB account for all Japanese.
AN is the number of Aussies reading novels. AB is the number of Aussies who are reading biographies. AN + AB account for all Aussies.

JN+JB+AN+AB account for all people in the plane.

Number of people who are either from Japan or reading a novel or both includes all people on the plane except Aussies who are reading biographies.
So JN+JB+AN represents the number of people who are either Japanese or reading a novel or both.

You have double/triple counted the people.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Solution:
Let’s take the abbreviation for
Japanese reading Novel as JN
Japanese reading Biography as JB
Australian reading Novel as AN
Australian reading Biography as AB
To find: Is the probability that the passenger is both from Japan and reading a novel greater than the probability that the passenger is both from Australia and reading a biography?
Basically, the question is JN > AB?

Analysis of statement 1: The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Japan or reading a novel or both is 208/251
Let’s take the total i.e. \(JN+JB+AN+AB=251-------(1)\)
As the probability given for the selected passenger is either from Japan or reading a novel or both is 208/251
∴Total number of Japanese passengers + Passengers reading novel + Number of Japanese passengers who are reading novel = \(JN+JB+AN=208-----(2)\)
[NOTE: Here we have to be careful as we can count JN twice].
From equations 1 and 2 we get;
\(AB = 251 – 208 = 43.\)
As in equation 2, we cannot determine the value of JN. Hence we cannot compare the values of JN and AB.
So, statement 1 is not sufficient to answer. We can eliminate options A and D.

Analysis of statement 2: The probability that a randomly selected passenger is either from Australia or reading a biography or both is 172/251
Let’s take the total i.e. \(JN+JB+AN+AB=251-------(1)\)
As the probability given for the selected passenger is either from Australia or reading a biography or both is 172/251
∴Total number of Australian passengers + Passengers reading biography + Number of Australian passengers who are reading Biography= \(AB+AN+JB=172-----(2)\)
From equations 1 and 2 we get;
\(JN = 251 – 172 = 79.\)
As in equation 2, we cannot determine the value of AB. Hence we cannot compare the values of JN and AB.
So, statement 2 is not sufficient to answer. We can eliminate option B.

Combining the statements 1 and 2 we get;
From statement 1 we get; \(AB = 43\)
From statement 2 we get; \(JN = 79\)
By comparing the values of AB and JN, it is clear that \(JN > AB.\)
Hence the probability that the passenger is both from Japan and reading a novel greater than the probability that the passenger is both from Australia and reading a biography.

The correct answer option is “C”.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts