Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [25]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [5]
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [5]
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Sahil: Bansal
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Baseball Analyst: Since the 2000 season, the average number of strikeo [#permalink]
I cold come down to A and E and then marked A. What is wrong in option A
:(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Re: Baseball Analyst: Since the 2000 season, the average number of strikeo [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
bsahil wrote:

Dear bsahil,
I'm happy to help. :-)

(A) is a good distractor. This is tricky --- there's the widespread argument, which associates the increase in strikeouts with the decrease in homeruns, and then this argument presents a new view, about the impact of videos. Thus, supporting this latter argument, the speaker's argument, cannot support the first argument, which the speaker opposes.

In GMAT CR, it's very important to be careful with the different voices in an argument. Many GMAT CR arguments are of the form, "many people say THING #1, but I say THING #2". It does not support this argument to support THING #1.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi mike,

What is wrong with option D?
Can you explain the difference between D and E?
Why E is correct?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I don't get this question :? even after reading explanations
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
anje29 wrote:

conclusion :- the average number of strikeouts per player has dramatically increased in Major League Baseball.

fact :- The 2011 and 2012 seasons have the highest averages on record.

Some writers have argue that
batters are taking increasingly larger swings, making them that they can be easily out.

But the real reason is enhanced video review.
Pitchers watch video on each and every batter, studying his unique weaknesses, and, well-informed, are better able to exploit those weaknesses in game situations, even weaknesses of those batters with more compact swings.

Any option which helps us to tell why more srike out

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the baseball analyst’s argument?
(A) Both the total number of homeruns and the average number of homeruns per batter have decreased steadily since 2000. (this is tricky we have to find an option that tells us strike out .. not about the run)
(B) Batters who hit more singles and have shorter swings strike out, on average, far less than the power hitters who are trying to hit homeruns. (comaparision of batters is of no use)
(C) Baseball bats now, on average, are much lighter and easier to swing fast than were bats of fifty years ago. (of no use)
(D) Most batters also watch video of each and every pitcher, learning to detect what pitches he throws and how he releases each pitch. what if batter watch .. does it help increase strike out NO
(E) Catchers and pitching coaches watch the same video that pitchers watch, and they are in a position to advise pitchers on different batters throughout the game
(only option )
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
anje29 wrote:

Dear anje29,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is NOT your fault. When I wrote this questions, I didn't realize how much I was taking for granted. You see, I am huge baseball fan. I wrote a question that I thought folks who didn't know baseball well would still understand. Indeed, Americans who grow up with baseball in the background absorb enough of the game that mostly they could understand this question. It turns out, though, that this question is grossly unfair to all the good folks who grew up in parts of the world in which baseball is not present. For a short time we had this question live in the Magoosh product, but the data quickly revealed that is a tremendously biased question, so we removed it from our data pool and don't use it any more. While the logic is sound, the subject matter is highly problematic and culturally biased. This question is unfair to most non-American students. The fact that you don't understand it is NOT your fault. This is question has problems.

Here's a free CR question with no cultural bias:
The element ytterbium increases

Let me know if you have any questions.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
anje29 wrote:

Dear anje29,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is NOT your fault. When I wrote this questions, I didn't realize how much I was taking for granted. You see, I am huge baseball fan. I wrote a question that I thought folks who didn't know baseball well would still understand. Indeed, Americans who grow up with baseball in the background absorb enough of the game that mostly they could understand this question. It turns out, though, that this question is grossly unfair to all the good folks who grew up in parts of the world in which baseball is not present. For a short time we had this question live in the Magoosh product, but the data quickly revealed that is a tremendously biased question, so we removed it from our data pool and don't use it any more. While the logic is sound, the subject matter is highly problematic and culturally biased. This question is unfair to most non-American students. The fact that you don't understand it is NOT your fault. This is question has problems.

Here's a free CR question with no cultural bias:
The element ytterbium increases

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Mike for clarification. The question reveals your attachment to baseball :-D Actually I found it hard to absorb because of the baseball terminologies used. However, I cracked the question after I taught myself through googling those words. Learning never stops.

For sake of practice, any one wants to solve question, please familiarize yourself with pitcher and strikeout.

https://www.google.com.eg/search?q=stri ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com.eg/search?q=Pitc ... n+baseball
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Baseball Analyst: Since the 2000 season, the average number of strikeouts per player has dramatically increased in Major League Baseball. The 2011 and 2012 seasons have the highest averages on record. Some writers have argue that batters, trying to hit homeruns at the same elevated rate at which they were hit in the “steroid” era, are taking increasingly larger swings, making them that much more vulnerable to striking out. But the real reason is enhanced video review. Pitchers are not necessarily any more talented than in the past, but they all watch video on each and every batter, studying his unique weaknesses, and, well-informed, are better able to exploit those weaknesses in game situations, even weaknesses of those batters with more compact swings.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the baseball analyst’s argument?

(A) Both the total number of homeruns and the average number of homeruns per batter have decreased steadily since 2000.

(B) Batters who hit more singles and have shorter swings strike out, on average, far less than the power hitters who are trying to hit homeruns.

(C) Baseball bats now, on average, are much lighter and easier to swing fast than were bats of fifty years ago.

(D) Most batters also watch video of each and every pitcher, learning to detect what pitches he throws and how he releases each pitch.

(E) Catchers and pitching coaches watch the same video that pitchers watch, and they are in a position to advise pitchers on different batters throughout the game

For more on the "strengthen the argument" question type, as well as a complete explanation of this question, please see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-cr-st ... -argument/

Too many words here. So we have to concentrate on one main point. The argument says about the video. So our answer-option has to have the word "video" in it.
There are only D and E. But D does not make much sense for our case.

E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
i guess such type of question is very unlikely to appear on gmat, because the question is very culture-specific. One has to be well aware of baseball rules to be able to answer this question. GMAT doesn't discriminate on culture-awareness.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
I have no clue about baseball. I hope I don't see such specific question on the exam 😢

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
This a well thought out question it's most certainly a gmat type question now on to the elemination of each answers
A-if the strike out was increasing year on why was the average greatest at 2011-12 it could have been greater at 2013 even though it's not mentioned not quite resolving
B- this could have been a great choice however we aren't given the exact number maybe there are one member in each statted type and others belonging to some other category
C- this rather weakens if the bats are lighter why are there more stike outs with improved effeciency
D- another weakening if the batters are studying well the pitchers and statergy why the stike out
E- at last yes the pitchers are well informed about the weakness of the batters and aided in the pitch by the positioing too culuminating in the stiking out hence IMO E

Hope it makes sense
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
bsahil wrote:

Dear bsahil,
I'm happy to help. :-)

(A) is a good distractor. This is tricky --- there's the widespread argument, which associates the increase in strikeouts with the decrease in homeruns, and then this argument presents a new view, about the impact of videos. Thus, supporting this latter argument, the speaker's argument, cannot support the first argument, which the speaker opposes.

In GMAT CR, it's very important to be careful with the different voices in an argument. Many GMAT CR arguments are of the form, "many people say THING #1, but I say THING #2". It does not support this argument to support THING #1.

Does all this make sense?

HI
But the author doesn't oppose the first argument. He opposes the first reason behind the event and gives a new reason for that event to happen.
could you please explain this?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts