Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [60]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [24]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: In September 2011, Michael John Dalton organized a seven days training [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO,

The "is" at the end of option D is the surest and fastest way to find the correct answer.

Option B also has "is" but it can be easily rejected.

Regards

Argha
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: In September 2011, Michael John Dalton organized a seven days training [#permalink]
argha wrote:
IMO,

The "is" at the end of option D is the surest and fastest way to find the correct answer.

Regards

Argha

can you please elaborate how by the use of IS we can come to right answer.

do share your thoughts briefly.

thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
blueseas wrote:
argha wrote:
IMO,

Regards

Argha

can you please elaborate how by the use of IS we can come to right answer.

do share your thoughts briefly.

thanks

Perhaps what he may be referring to is the idea of "cutting the fluff" - and then examining the usage of the word IS.

In (B), if we "cut the fluff" - it becomes:

"to indicate that when [X], that it is.."

For (D), we have

"indicating that [x] is..."

Between the two - (D) is much better. B has the problem with "that it is..."

For more on how to "cut the fluff" to simplify seemingly complex sentences into ones that are super easy to understand, please check out:

how-to-cut-the-fluff-and-speed-through-sc-156485.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMATPill wrote:
In September 2011, Michael John Dalton organized a seven days training program on new findings that indicates a child's learning behavioral, cognitive, and fine-motor skills as a natural process that finishes up until the age of five.

Shouldnt this be "A Seven Day" program?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I did pick C but I rejected A for a different reason.

shouldn't indicates refer to "training program" as we are supposed to disregard the prep phrase after the noun?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
gottascorehigh wrote:

shouldn't indicates refer to "training program" as we are supposed to disregard the prep phrase after the noun?

relative pronouns(THAT/WHICH) always refer to closest noun
it is not true that if you have a preposition phrase then it(THAT/WHICH) will modify farther noun..
which/THAT always modifies closest noun....except in few cases.

the rule is:
Relative Pronouns Modify closest nouns UNLESS
– The phrase between modified entity and modifier provides additional
information about modified entity
– The phrase cannot be placed anywhere else
– The phrase does not create any ambiguity in meaning

few examples:
I killed the snake,which lived in the burrow behind my house.==>which clearly modifies....SNAKE.

I killed the snake with scales ,which lived in the burrow behind my house.===>here which modifies snake and not the scales...because....above conditions follow here....scales is describing snake....you cannot place anywhere else to make sense correctly.....it doesnot create any ambiguity means.....==>this means scales live behind my house....this doesnt makes sense....

now take other example.:
i killed the snake with eggs ,which lay in burrow behind my house......==>here you can see that there is ambiguity....both EGGS and SNAKE can lay in burrow...hence this version of which is wrong....

HOPE IT HELPS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
It does help, thank you.

So indicates (in the incorrect singular form) refers to findings because "that" is closes to findings? Is this correct?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gottascorehigh wrote:
It does help, thank you.

So indicates (in the incorrect singular form) refers to findings because "that" is closes to findings? Is this correct?

NEW FINDINGS ==>this is closest noun HENCE THAT refers to NEW FINDINGS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3
Send PM
In September 2011, Michael John Dalton organized a seven days training program on new findings that indicates a child's learning behavioral, cognitive, and fine-motor skills as a natural process that finishes up until the age of five.

(A) that indicates a child's learning behavioral, cognitive, and fine-motor skills as. Incorrect. Problem with parallelism. 'training program' and 'indicates'

(B) to indicate that when a child learns behavioral, cognitive, and fine-motor skills, that it is. Incorrect. No referent for 'it'

(C) indicative of a child's learning of behavioral, cognitive, and fine-motor skills as. Incorrect. Wrong idiom. 'as' in the end is not correct.

(D) indicating that a child's learning of behavioral, cognitive, and fine-motor skills is. Correct

(E) that are indicative of a child learning behavioral, cognitive, and fine-motor skills as. Incorrect. Again wrong idiom. use of 'are' is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: University of texas at
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Research (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Can we say for sure that THAT modfies the closest noun unless the noun is used to provide additional information?
Here is a link to bb's thought. He mentioned that " there is no rule which object/noun is modified by THAT - there may be 1, 2, 3, etc nouns modified by THAT. What matters on the gmat is that the sentence is clear and has proper style. "
i-am-a-bit-confused-about-the-use-of-that-and-would-76375.html

Originally posted by farzana87 on 16 Jun 2016, 22:27.
Last edited by farzana87 on 17 Jun 2016, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
gottascorehigh wrote:

I think the reason provided above is correct and the answer should be A .Training program and indicates both are singular and agree in number.
Experts please clarify.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos