Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                       
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 957 [90]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [33]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [9]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Unlike auto insurance, the frequency of claims does not affect the pre [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
USADream wrote:
Unlike auto insurance, the frequency of claims does not affect the premiums for personal property coverage, but if the insurance company is able to prove excessive loss due to owner negligence, it may decline to renew the policy.

(A) Unlike auto insurance, the frequency of claims does not affect the premiums for personal property coverage

(B) Unlike with auto insurance, the frequency of claims do not affect the premiums for personal property coverage

(C) Unlike the frequency of claims for auto insurance, the premiums for personal property coverage are not affected by the frequency of claims

(D) Unlike the premiums for auto insurance, the premiums for personal property coverage are not affected by the frequency of claims

(E) Unlike with the premiums for auto insurance, the premiums for personal property coverage is not affected by the frequency of claims

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Comparisons + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Comparisons must always be made between similar things.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "auto insurance" to "the frequency of claims"; remember, comparisons must always be made between similar things.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "frequency" with the plural verb phrase "do not affect". Further, Option B incorrectly compares the prepositional phrase "with auto insurance" to "the frequency of claims"; remember, comparisons must always be made between similar things.

C: This answer choice incorrectly compares "the frequency of claims for auto insurance" to "the premiums for personal property coverage"; remember, comparisons must always be made between similar things.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "premiums" with the plural verb phrase "are not affected". Further, Option D correctly compares "the premiums for auto insurance" with "the premiums for personal property coverage".

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "premiums" with the singular verb phrase "is not affected".

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: Unlike auto insurance, the frequency of claims does not affect the pre [#permalink]
Kudos
"Unlike the premiums for auto insurance, the premiums for personal property coverage are not affected by the frequency of claims...

To make it more concise, is it correct to skip repeated usage of premiums?

Unlike the premiums for auto insurance, these for personal property coverage are not affected by the frequency of claims...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:
"Unlike the premiums for auto insurance, the premiums for personal property coverage are not affected by the frequency of claims...

To make it more concise, is it correct to skip repeated usage of premiums?

Unlike the premiums for auto insurance, these for personal property coverage are not affected by the frequency of claims...

Hi umesh.

Good question! But you can not use "these" here.

(1) the premiums for auto insurance and the premiums for personal property are different. On the other hand, if you want to indicate a "New copy" of the antecedent, you must use "that" or "those". You use "these" or "this" if you indicate same antecedent.

(2) "That" or "Those" indicating a New copy must be modified. On the other hand, you have to add a description for the antecedent before using pronouns
Let see the first part: Unlike the premiums for auto insurance" <== It's not a complete sentence, so the usage of pronoun "those for" is not correct.

If you want to use pronoun, the correct sentence should be: The premiums for auto insurance are affected by the frequency of claims, but those for personal property are not.

I would say the question from OG is good.

Hope it helps.

Hi pqhai,

Let see the first part: Unlike the premiums for auto insurance" <== It's not a complete sentence, so the usage of pronoun "those for" is not correct.

During comparison, Like/Unlike is always followed by a noun. If we make it a complete sentence, then for clause we use "As" instead of "like/unlike" because we are comparing actions in that case.

If i say:
Like that of John, Mary's car is white.
As John has a white car, Mary has a white car.

Like John's car, that of Mary is white.

Here, "Unlike the John's Car" is not a clause, but still usage of "that" is correct.

Thanks,
Jai

KUDOS if it HELPED..!!! :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Send PM
jaituteja wrote:
Hi pqhai,

During comparison, Like/Unlike is always followed by a noun. If we make it a complete sentence, then for clause we use "As" instead of "like/unlike" because we are comparing actions in that case.

If i say:

Here, "Unlike the John's Car" is not a clause, but still usage of "that" is correct.

Thanks,
Jai

Thanks Jai

Sorry for confusing. I say "It's not a complete sentence", I want to convey the idea the phrase "unlike....." does not provide enough description to hold a pronoun "those" valid (or the pronoun is not be modified enough). I will change my post a bit to avoid confusing.

Regarding your example, I, in turn, politely disagree with you.
You use pronoun "those" or "that to indicate "new copy" ==> A "new copy" must be modified. In other word, you have to add a description to indicate how the new copy is different from the previous version.

I think your example should be: Marry's car, unlike that of John's, is white <== "that" is pronoun which is a "new copy" of Marry's car. "that of John's" is modified by "Marry's car is white". Thus, the sentence is correct.

However, in your example, the clause "that of...." is a main clause and is not be modified by anything.

Any discussion is welcome.

Cheer :)

PS: I highly recommend MGMAT - Sentence correction - Chapter Pronoun which describes very well how to use pronoun properly. (Just my recommendation).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
jaituteja wrote:
Hi pqhai,

If i say:

Thanks,
Jai

Thanks Jai

Sorry for confusing. I say "It's not a complete sentence", I want to convey the idea the phrase "unlike....." does not provide enough description to hold a pronoun "those" valid (or the pronoun is not be modified enough). I will change my post a bit to avoid confusing.

Regarding your example, I, in turn, politely disagree with you.
You use pronoun "those" or "that to indicate "new copy" ==> A "new copy" must be modified. In other word, you have to add a description to indicate how the new copy is different from the previous version.

I think your example should be: Marry's car, unlike that of John's, is white <== "that" is pronoun which is a "new copy" of Marry's car. "that of John's" is modified by "Marry's car is white". Thus, the sentence is correct.

However, in your example, the clause "that of...." is a main clause and is not be modified by anything.

Any discussion is welcome.

Cheer :)

PS: I highly recommend MGMAT - Sentence correction - Chapter Pronoun which describes very well how to use pronoun properly. (Just my recommendation).

Hi pqhai,

I agree with your explanation for the "new copy" thing.

I think Marry's car, unlike that of John's, is white is not correct.

It should be unlike that of John... since we are using "that" we don't need to use the possessive form of John.

the sentence should be
Marry's car, unlike that of John, is white

OR

Marry's car, unlike John's, is white

We are comparing the car of Marry to that of John,not mary's car to John.

Regarding your below statement,

I could not get your point.. Can you please elaborate.

Thanks,
Jai

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jaituteja wrote:
Hi pqhai,

I agree with your explanation for the "new copy" thing.

I think Marry's car, unlike that of John's, is white is not correct.

It should be unlike that of John... since we are using "that" we don't need to use the possessive form of John.

the sentence should be
Marry's car, unlike that of John, is white

OR

Marry's car, unlike John's, is white

We are comparing the car of Marry to that of John,not mary's car to John.

Regarding your below statement,

I could not get your point.. Can you please elaborate.

Thanks,
Jai

Hi Jai
Yes, we're comparing Marry's car with John's car. We do not compare Marry's car with John. You can see the possessive form - John's. If you repeat the same thing, we can omit the noun.==> John's means John's car.

Pronoun topic is huge. If you use pronoun, you will use a representative rather than repeat an antecedent. You just use "this, that, these, those" to indicate the antecedent. Logically, the readers need to understand the nature of the antecedent first. Therefore, pronouns must be modified.

For example:
Incorrect: Unlike John's car, that of Marry is white.
Because you're comparing X to Y. X is antecedent and Y is the pronoun. Logically, Y is just a new copy of X, so X must show its characteristics first.
In your sentence, "that" is the pronoun ==> it indicates something appears before it in the sentence ==> The "thing" appears before the pronoun must be understood by readers first. However, without a description about the pronoun, readers do not understand the nature of the antecedent. You cannot understand the phrase "Unlike John's car" if it stands alone.

Correct: Marry's car, unlike that of John, is white ==> The antecedent is Marry's car. Even without the pronoun, readers still understand the nature of Marry's car completely (Marry's car is white). Then the usage of pronoun (a new copy) will be correct.

Hope it helps.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
USADream wrote:
Unlike auto insurance, the frequency of claims does not affect the premiums for personal property coverage, but if the insurance company is able to prove excessive loss due to owner negligence, it may decline to renew the policy.
(A) Unlike auto insurance, the frequency of claims does not affect the premiums for personal property coverage
(B) Unlike with auto insurance, the frequency of claims do not affect the premiums for personal property coverage
(C) Unlike the frequency of claims for auto insurance, the premiums for personal property coverage are not affected by the frequency of claims
(D) Unlike the premiums for auto insurance, the premiums for personal property coverage are not affected by the frequency of claims
(E) Unlike with the premiums for auto insurance, the premiums for personal property coverage is not affected by the frequency of claims

Note the keyword "unlike" appears in all answer choices.

So because of that, all we need to do is make sure that the left side and right side of the comma are consistent.

In (A) - "auto insurance" is not consistent with "frequency of claims" - so don't even bother reading the rest of the answer choice.

Just glance down - and it is not until we get to (D) that we see "premiums" being compared with "being" - only then should we spend the time to actually read through (D).

This is a speed technique we implement in our fast solutions to SC that allows you to arrive at the correct answer without necessarily reading every answer choice.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM