Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 957 [69]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [7]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4323 [4]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gpsao wrote:
Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or also for communicating and navigating.

(A) either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or also for communicating and navigating
(B) either for finding and attacking prey, defend themselves, or for communication and navigation
(C) to find and attack prey, for defense, or communication and navigation
(D) for finding and attacking prey, to defend themselves, or also for communication and navigation
(E) to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate

IDIOM TEST:
EITHER X OR Y
X and Y MUST BE PARALLEL.
only E is USING parallel structure.

hence E
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents [#permalink]
Kudos
USADream wrote:
Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or also for communicating and navigating.

(A) either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or also for communicating and navigating
(B) either for finding and attacking prey, defend themselves, or for communication and navigation
(C) to find and attack prey, for defense, or communication and navigation
(D) for finding and attacking prey, to defend themselves, or also for communication and navigation
(E) to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate

Note you can also flip the sentence as such:

"Using their power to A, to B, and to C, hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents."

The descriptive phrase "in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies" - really is just fluff.

Since the above flipped sentence makes sense, then we can say the original unflipped version makes sense as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [4]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
EITHER X OR Y is a dual marker of parallelism. It can compare only two items. So use of EITHER X OR Y
is wrong here.

C and D doesn't have ||'sm. E wins.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I have a query

I have read that - the construction is generally in the format ---> to X, Y and Z and NOT --> to X, to Y and to Z.

Though I chose E because it was the best among other options but is it stylistically correct?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:
I have a query

I have read that - the construction is generally in the format ---> to X, Y and Z and NOT --> to X, to Y and to Z.

Though I chose E because it was the best among other options but is it stylistically correct?

No, both are optional. We can have either 'once outside' or 'every time inside' rule.

So, both the below statements are correct.

Either to X, to Y or to Z

or

to Either X,Y or Z.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
in Option E

to defend is part of II list or is modifier of to find and attack prey ?

I thought its acting as modifier and if this is the case then "Either to X or to Y" is valid.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
gaitbhu wrote:
in Option E

to defend is part of II list or is modifier of to find and attack prey ?

I thought its acting as modifier and if this is the case then "Either to X or to Y" is valid.

Hi gaitbhu, when you say you thought its acting as modifier, then your interpretation is that fish attack prey in order to defend themselves!

Well, by some stretch of imagination, I suppose that's possible (attack is the best defense:)).

However, if that was the intent, one would not have expected a comma after prey. Isn't it?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
Top Contributor

(A) either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or also for communicating and navigating "to find", "to defend" and "for communicating" are not parallel. Eliminate.

(B) either for finding and attacking prey, defend themselves, or for communication and navigation "for finding", "defend" and "for communication" are not parallel. Eliminate.

(C) to find and attack prey, for defense, or communication and navigation "to find", "for defense" and "communication" are not parallel. Eliminate.

(D) for finding and attacking prey, to defend themselves, or also for communication and navigation "for finding", "to defend" and "for communication" are not parallel. Eliminate.

(E) to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate Correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 1049
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Hello experts sayantanc2k AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

Though I got this question correct by looking at parallelism, i could not understand what using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate is doing in the sentence. Is it modifying the earlier clause Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge ? but for me it is hard to see how the phrase "using......and nevigate" modifying the earlier clause.

Thanks and regards
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kadamhari825 wrote:

Though I got this question correct by looking at parallelism, i could not understand what using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate is doing in the sentence. Is it modifying the earlier clause Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge ? but for me it is hard to see how the phrase "using......and nevigate" modifying the earlier clause.

Thanks and regards

Hello kadamhari825,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Here, "using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate" modifies the action "generate and discharge electric currents" to convey that the fish generate and discharge electric currents for the purpose of using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate. Remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “using” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

To understand the concept of "Comma plus Present Participle for Cause Effect relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kadamhari825 wrote:

Thanks and regards

This is the structure of the sentence:

Fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields..., using their power to do A, to do B or to do C.

A - find and attack prey, (find & attack are related actions. They find and then attack)
B - defend themselves,
C - communicate and navigate (again, relation actions)

"using their power to do A, to do B or to do C" modifies the previous clause "fish generate and discharge electric currents...".

So they use the currents for A, B or C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Hi In this ques how can I find parallelism in first 'OR' i.e. present after bursts.
Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts OR as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or also for communicating and navigating.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanvi01 wrote:
Hi In this ques how can I find parallelism in first 'OR' i.e. present after bursts.
Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts OR as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or also for communicating and navigating.

Parallelism is between the following two prepositional phrases:
(i) in bursts
OR
(ii) as steady electric fields
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanvi01 wrote:

Hello Tanvi01,

To answer your query, this "or" is a parallelism marker between the prepositional phrases "in bursts" and "as steady electric fields"; we can determine this by taking a look at what the sentence is trying to present a contrast between through this "or"; from the preceding clause "Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents", we can tell that the two elements being contrasted are the two ways in which the fish discharge electric currents.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 KarishmaB - Can you pls review my analysis of the correct answer and confirm whether it's correct or not?

Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate.

In the correct option, "in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies" describes how electric currents are discharged so if we remove the portion in between comma then present participle(using) modifies currents.

Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents using their power to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate.

Thanks,
Anshul
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PanpaliaAnshul wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 KarishmaB - Can you pls review my analysis of the correct answer and confirm whether it's correct or not?

Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate.

In the correct option, "in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies" describes how electric currents are discharged so if we remove the portion in between comma then present participle(using) modifies currents.

Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents using their power to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate.

Thanks,
Anshul

Yes, this is correct. Just note that "using their power ..." is a present participle at the end of the sentence separated by a comma. It modifies the previous clause "they generate and discharge electric current", not just currents.
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PanpaliaAnshul wrote:

Thanks,
Anshul

Hello PanpaliaAnshul,

To answer your query, your reasoning is largely correct, but as KarishmaB has written, "using" modifies the entire preceding clause, not just "currents"; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “using” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship, and this relationship exists between the action conveyed in the clause before the comma and the present participle phrase.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts