Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1212 [490]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [357]
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [207]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [45]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
First of all, I think MEANING is the key to solve this question.
Only the economy can grow more than it did in the past. The growth cannot exceed the growth during 10,000 years before. It makes no sense. I eliminated B, C, D, E right away.
A is the best.

Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

(A) Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture
(B) Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began >>> Wrong - change meaning.
(C) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture >>> Wrong - change meaning and the use of "that which" is totally incorrect.
(D) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began >>> Wrong - change meaning.
(E) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture >>> Wrong - change meaning.

Hope it helps.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [30]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Lots of nasty modifiers here that require careful placement. So many of the phrases in these answer choices are the same--that's a clue that it will probably be the *position* of the phrases relative to each other that determines our answer.

The first split I chose to look at was between A/B ("Between 1990...) and C/D/E (The growth...). Neither is bad in and of itself, but seeing that "the growth" is the subject of the entire sentence for C/D/E is a cue for us to check the verb associated with that subject....sure enough, C and D use the present tense verb "exceeds" so we can cross them off-- we're in 2010, so the growth mentioned is *past* growth.

Also if the subject of the sentence in choice E is "the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000," then the second verb doesn't make sense when you replace the pronoun "it" with its antecedent: "the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000" exceeded what " the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000" did during an earlier time period? E's out too.

We're down to A and B. In general, the GMAT does not like unattached "that," "this," or "those" -- these words need some noun attached to them (this CAR, those PEOPLE, etc). A construction that IS allowed, and sometimes confuses people, is the use of "that of" or "those of" in a sentence. By adding the preposition "of," we imply the noun that was used earlier in the sentence. For example--

The door of my apartment is sturdier than the door of his apartment. Correct
The door of my apartment is sturdier than THAT OF his apartment. Correct, and means the exact same thing as the sentence immediate above
The door of my apartment is sturdier than that his apartment. INCORRECT

We need the "of" to complete this construction, and (B) doesn't have it. Eliminate.

That leaves us with (A). All of the modifiers are placed correctly and unambiguously, so that we know what each phrase refers to.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1283 [24]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ratinarace wrote:
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

(A) Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture
(B) Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began
(C) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture
(D) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began
(E) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

would appreciate the explanations for wrong answer choices

First of all, there is 3-2 split for "from the beginning of agriculture" Vs "from when agriculture began"
So, I'd prefer "from the beginning of agriculture" because "agriculture began" is incorrect i.e unidiomatic and doesn't make sense.
We are left with A, C and E

Second, C is incorrect : "exceeds" uses simple present wrongly to refer to an action occured in the past

Finally, E is incorrect because of "it did" ; did what ?!

A is correct "it did" can be replaced by "the global economy grew" and that would makes sense.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [10]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
gamjatang wrote:

(B) Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(C) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(D) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(E) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

Concepts tested here: Tenses + Comparison + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Comparison must be made between similar things.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• When the chronology is clear because of terms such as "before/after/when/earlier/later"…or because of clear mention of dates, use past perfect tense is not required, though not incorrect either.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the simple past tense verbs "grew" and "did" to refer to events that concluded in the past. Further, Option A correctly compares the clauses "the global economy grew" and "it did". Additionally, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice uses the needlessly indirect constructions "the growth of the global economy was more than that" and "from when agriculture began", leading to awkwardness.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "exceeds" to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option C redundantly uses the past perfect tense verb "had been", alongside the clear mention of dates; please remember, when the chronology is clear because of terms such as "before/after/when/earlier/later"…or because of clear mention of dates, use past perfect tense is not required, though not incorrect either. Additionally, Option C uses the needlessly indirect clause "The growth of the global economy...that which had been", leading to awkwardness.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "exceeds" to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "has been" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present. Additionally, Option D uses the needlessly indirect clause "The growth of the global economy...what it has been", leading to awkwardness.

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares "The growth of the global economy", a noun, to "what it did", an action; please remember, comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option E uses the needlessly indirect construction "The growth of the global economy exceeded what it did", leading to awkwardness.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

btw A and B - I prefer A
(C) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture wrong time - no need to use past perfect
(D) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began redundant
(E) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture who did? the growth?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 570  Q44  V25 GMAT 3: 590  Q48  V23
WE 1: 5.0
Send PM
parker wrote:
Lots of nasty modifiers here that require careful placement. So many of the phrases in these answer choices are the same--that's a clue that it will probably be the *position* of the phrases relative to each other that determines our answer.

The first split I chose to look at was between A/B ("Between 1990...) and C/D/E (The growth...). Neither is bad in and of itself, but seeing that "the growth" is the subject of the entire sentence for C/D/E is a cue for us to check the verb associated with that subject....sure enough, C and D use the present tense verb "exceeds" so we can cross them off-- we're in 2010, so the growth mentioned is *past* growth.

Also if the subject of the sentence in choice E is "the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000," then the second verb doesn't make sense when you replace the pronoun "it" with its antecedent: "the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000" exceeded what " the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000" did during an earlier time period? E's out too.

We're down to A and B. In general, the GMAT does not like unattached "that," "this," or "those" -- these words need some noun attached to them (this CAR, those PEOPLE, etc). A construction that IS allowed, and sometimes confuses people, is the use of "that of" or "those of" in a sentence. By adding the preposition "of," we imply the noun that was used earlier in the sentence. For example--

The door of my apartment is sturdier than the door of his apartment. Correct
The door of my apartment is sturdier than THAT OF his apartment. Correct, and means the exact same thing as the sentence immediate above
The door of my apartment is sturdier than that his apartment. INCORRECT

We need the "of" to complete this construction, and (B) doesn't have it. Eliminate.

That leaves us with (A). All of the modifiers are placed correctly and unambiguously, so that we know what each phrase refers to.

it is awesome explanation Parker.
I have eliminated B because i think ' from when ... to 1950" is unidiomatic. Is my POE right?
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good question-- it's not a construction that I've seen often and my gut says I don't like it, but I can't say that it's on my "definite no" list; I always hesitate to put something on that list unless I've seen it explicitly pointed out in official materials (also, I try to use idiom as the absolute last criteria for elimination).

But let's open it up to the group--has anyone else come across this in an OG problem or want to weigh in?
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
"Exceeded" is typically used to compare something to a threshold value ("exceeded my budget," "exceeded expectations," etc). But while it doesn't strike me as a common construction, it's not on my concrete no-no list and I always hesitate to make first-round eliminations based on idioms that are not on that list. In this case, you don't need to because of the other errors present. It's always safer to save idiom choices for the last round, unless you are 100% sure based on past OG questions that the idiom is incorrect.

Originally posted by parker on 16 Jan 2011, 11:14.
Last edited by parker on 26 Jan 2011, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [3]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
this/that/these/those are never stand along pronoun.

that/those is used in paralel structure

the leg of my chair is strong but that of your is weak.
the 2 legs are different
the leg of my chair is stronger than it is previously
there is only one leg

"that" in B and C is used incorrectly

in my thinking correct, pls confirm/modify
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [13]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 06-15-2013
GPA: 3.75
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos