Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [37]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [9]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
IMO A

I love this question type :)

We can guess the answer even before reading the options. The argument concludes that contact lenses cause dry eyes. How can we weaken this conclusion. This argument can be weakened in two ways:

1. If something else (not contact lenses) cause dry eyes
2. If dry eyes cause lead to wearing contact lenses.

Now lets see which option satisfies any of our two conditions:

jamifahad wrote:
Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons their customers pur- chased eye drops to soothe eye dryness. Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by customers who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses. The pharmacists concluded that wearing con- tact lenses, by itself, can cause contact wearers to have dry eyes.
Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the pharmacists’ conclusion?
(A) An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes. - Bingo! This option agrees with our statement 1. CORRECT
(B) Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses. - INCORRECT. This option actually strengthens the conclusion.
(C) Most people who have dry eyes do not wear contact lenses. - INCORRECT. This option kills the conclusion. We just have to weaken it.
(D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes.- INCORRECT. Same reasoning as C
(E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headaches.- INCORRECT. Out of scope
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Send PM
Re: Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
siddhans wrote:

Hi Aj85,

Choice A states: An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes.

Isnt this choice out of scope since our target audience is people who wear contact lenses only and this choice also talks about people who do not wear contact lenses. Choice B talks only about people who wear contact lenses and says that physical exertion causes dry eyes and not wearing contact lenses. I agree many = not all but i believe this choice seems more to be a weakener than choice A since choice B talks about the people who wear contact lenses as stated in the passage and not about all people .

Thanks!!!

It doesn't matters if this choice also addresses people who do not war lenses as long as it talks about possibility of a cause other than contact lenses which causes dry eyes. The statement identifies the possibility of a unknown cause which may be real underlying cause of both weak eyesight (people wearing lenses) and dry eyes.

Regarding B, B actually has 2 flaws which I mentioned in my previous statement. First the sentence itself is ambiguous and add to that the misleading word many.

'MANY' is a very misleading word, we generally think word 'many' represents a very large proportion of a group , but that is false.

Suppose in your college there are 100 students and 80 of them know how to speak in Japanese , you will say many people in my college can speak in Japanese. So here 'many' represents 80 % of the group. Now I can say in my town 200 people can speak in Japanese . 200 is definitely a number with which we can use 'many'. So I can say many people in my town can speak in japanese . But my town has 20 million people. so here 'many' represents just 200/20 million = 0.001 %. people of the group. That is why many is the one of the most misleading term . It simply doesn't clarifies an issue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Aj85 wrote:
siddhans wrote:

Hi Aj85,

Choice A states: An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes.

Isnt this choice out of scope since our target audience is people who wear contact lenses only and this choice also talks about people who do not wear contact lenses. Choice B talks only about people who wear contact lenses and says that physical exertion causes dry eyes and not wearing contact lenses. I agree many = not all but i believe this choice seems more to be a weakener than choice A since choice B talks about the people who wear contact lenses as stated in the passage and not about all people .

Thanks!!!

It doesn't matters if this choice also addresses people who do not war lenses as long as it talks about possibility of a cause other than contact lenses which causes dry eyes. The statement identifies the possibility of a unknown cause which may be real underlying cause of both weak eyesight (people wearing lenses) and dry eyes.

Regarding B, B actually has 2 flaws which I mentioned in my previous statement. First the sentence itself is ambiguous and add to that the misleading word many.

'MANY' is a very misleading word, we generally think word 'many' represents a very large proportion of a group , but that is false.

Suppose in your college there are 100 students and 80 of them know how to speak in Japanese , you will say many people in my college can speak in Japanese. So here 'many' represents 80 % of the group. Now I can say in my town 200 people can speak in Japanese . 200 is definitely a number with which we can use 'many'. So I can say many people in my town can speak in japanese . But my town has 20 million people. so here 'many' represents just 200/20 million = 0.001 %. people of the group. That is why many is the one of the most misleading term . It simply doesn't clarifies an issue.

Not sure but I have seen so many instances where if the answer choice doesn't have the exact population/subject that was talked about in the subject it gets rejected as out of scope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Send PM
siddhans wrote:

Not sure but I have seen so many instances where if the answer choice doesn't have the exact population/subject that was talked about in the subject it gets rejected as out of scope.

I think you are not connecting the subjects properly. The statement 1 only changes a few words but implies contact lenses.

An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes.

The weak eyesight above subtly conveys the situation of wearing lenses. The statement will be more direct if author wrote. 'An inherited condition can cause both problem requiring wearing contact lenses and dry eyes. But to make question difficult author plays with the wording. Hope you also got the problem with b.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Aj85 wrote:
siddhans wrote:

I think you are not connecting the subjects properly. The statement 1 only changes a few words but implies contact lenses.

The weak eyesight above subtly conveys the situation of wearing lenses. The statement will be more direct if author wrote. 'An inherited condition can cause both problem requiring wearing contact lenses and dry eyes. But to make question difficult author plays with the wording. Hope you also got the problem with b.

May be if the statement read : An inherited condition in people can cause dry eyes... but since this statement doesnt say anything we can be sure that the subjects are people who wear contact lenses and not general population or no one else... Not sure just a random thought that came to my mind. Not sure if i am correct here or no... Somehow I am not fully satisfied...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Send PM
siddhans wrote:
Aj85 wrote:
siddhans wrote:

May be if the statement read : An inherited condition in people can cause dry eyes... but since this statement doesnt say anything we can be sure that the subjects are people who wear contact lenses and not general population or no one else... Not sure just a random thought that came to my mind. Not sure if i am correct here or no... Somehow I am not fully satisfied...

This statement identifies the possibility of 3rd agent causing the problem of both dry eyes and wearing lenses (weak eyesight) . For example

Ice cream sales increase in the summer. Violent crime also increases in the summer.
Therefore, ice cream causes violent crime.
-Assumes that correlation means causation. However, there is a third variable here -
the increased temperature in the summertime, which causes both ice cream sales
and violent crime to increase.

This is one of the repeated flaw patterns which question employs., Another right answer would have been a reason which suggested that dry eyes causes wearing contract lens or poor eyesight and not the other way. also you will always encounter subtler language the best way is to practise more.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
No , I understand the logic of 3rd agent causing something and I dont deny that fact. The only thing here i am confused about is that if answer choice refers to the people who just wear contact lenses or everyone in this world(even who do not wear contacts) ... This is the part where my confusion lies thats all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
siddhans wrote:
No , I understand the logic of 3rd agent causing something and I dont deny that fact. The only thing here i am confused about is that if answer choice refers to the people who just wear contact lenses or everyone in this world(even who do not wear contacts) ... This is the part where my confusion lies thats all

what is important is that 'does explanation given in statement 1 includes the cases of people who wear the contact lenses or not'. the answer is yes we can attribute this 3rd unknown agent to be the cause of both dry eyes and weak eyesight (wearing lenses).

Now does this 3rd agent also works on people who do not wear eye lenses is not important for us (does this statement refer to other people too). it could also be a underlying agent which causes both wearing GLASSES and having dry eyes. So it can refer to even people who dont wear lenses (like to people who wear glasses) but the main issue of resolving the problems of contact lenses not causing dry eyes has been solved by this statement. Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
vote for A

(weaken)
Conclusion: Contact lenses "by itself" causes dry eyes

Premise: Dry eyes more frequently --> who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses.

(A) An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes.
--> provide additional premise that states there are causes to dry eyes and not only the contact lenses. Weakens the conclusion.

(B) Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses.
--> This strengthens the conclucion by stating that "dry eyes are caused by wearing contact lenses".what about the perople who dont wear contact lenses but still have dry eyes

(C) Most people who have dry eyes do not wear contact lenses.
--> But the premise in argument states otherwise (Premises should always be considered true, this information cannot be false)

(D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes.
--> But the premise in argument states otherwise (Premises should always be considered true, this information cannot be false)

(E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headaches.
--> Out of scope argument has nothing to do with headaches
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
huskers wrote:
Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons their customers purchased eye drops to soothe eye dryness. Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by customers who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses. The pharmacists concluded that wearing contact lenses, by itself, can cause contact wearers to have dry eyes.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the pharmacists' conclusion?

(D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes.
(E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headaches.

Hi,

this is how I did it:

You are looking for a cause and an effect. This is basic stuff. What will undermine the conclusion: well that some other cause produces the exact same effect.

Now state the conclusion in simple terms: "Wearing contact lenses cause dry eyes"

Look at the answer choices:

(A) An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes. correct
(B) Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses. Not correct Irrelevant
(C) Most people who have dry eyes do not wear contact lenses. Not correct (trap)
(D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes. Not correct (trap)
(E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headaches Irrelevant Not correct

Only A undermines.

Now verify if it make sense:

"Wearing contact lenses cause dry eyes" ==> BUT An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes ==> Therefore, Contact lenses might cause dry eyes as well as an inherited condition can.

hih
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons their customers purchased eye drops to soothe eye dryness. Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by customers who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses. The pharmacists concluded that wearing contact lenses, by itself, can cause contact wearers to have dry eyes.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the pharmacists' conclusion?

what is the conclusion--- wearing contact lenses, by itself, can cause dry eyes.

(A) An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes. does this undermine "wearing contact lenses, by itself, can cause dry eyes"--- NO. An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes. BUT WEARING CONTACT LENSES, BY THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE INHERITED CONDITION, CAN STILL CAUSE DRY EYES......
(B) Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses. DOES " wearing contact lenses, by itself, cause dry eyes"... MAY NOT BE SO...IT IS ACTUALLY PHYSICAL EXERTION NOT "wearing contact lenses, by itself" THAT CAUSES dry eyes...... hence a BETTER ANSWER.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM

Could be weak eyesight means they wear glass or ignore or having laser operated. No where weakens the conclusion
wearing contact lenses can cause contact wearers to have dry eyes.

(D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes. ==> ANSWER
(E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headaches

Argument says dry eyes is experienced by people who wore contact lenses.
Lets say the entire dry eyes set is A and contact lenses set is B and normal glasses set is C and no eye sight is D
Set A and B overlaps and Set A and C and Set A and D could overlap
But chance that large unoverlapped set of B could exists

Means lets say
Dry eyes = 10
Contact lenses = 40
NOrmal glasses = 25
No eye sight = 35

Dry eyes coincides with contact lenses is 9 and is equvivalent to 1% of contact lenses.
so many people with contact lenses are not having dry eyes which is weakening the conclusion that contact lenses causes dry eyes and is clearly mentioned in D

answer should be D
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM