Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [445]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [249]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [96]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [93]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p < s/v, which of the following [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
If m, p, s and v are positive, and \(\frac{m}{p} <\frac{s}{v}\), which of the following must be between \(\frac{m}{p}\) and \(\frac{s}{v}\)

I. \(\frac{m+s}{p+v}\)
II. \(\frac{ms}{pv}\)
III. \(\frac{s}{v} - \frac{m}{p}\)

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both

Responding to a pm:

You can work on this question using some number line and averaging concepts.
Let's look at statement II and III first since they are very easy.

We know \(\frac{m}{p} <\frac{s}{v}\)

On the number line: .............0....................m/p ........................s/v (since m, p, s and v are all positive so m/p and s/v are to the right of 0)

II. \(\frac{ms}{pv}\)
Think of the case when m/p and s/v are both less than 1. When you multiply them, they will become even smaller. Say .2*.3 = .06. So the product may not lie between them.

Think of a case such as this: .............0..............................m/p .......s/v
\(\frac{s}{v} - \frac{m}{p}\) will be much smaller than both m/p and s/v and will lie somewhere here:
.............0.......Here...........................m/p .......s/v
So it needn't be between them.

Now only issue is (I). You can check some numbers for it including fractions and non fractions. Or try to understand it using number line.
Think of 4 numbers as N1, N2, D1, D2 for ease and given fractions as N1/D1 and N2/D2.

\(\frac{m+s}{p+v} = \frac{m+s/2}{p+v/2}\) = (Avg of N1 and N2)/(Avg of D1 and D2)

Now numerator of avg will lie between N1 and N2 and denominator of avg will lie between D1 and D2. So Avg N/Avg D will lie between N1/D1 and N2/D2. Try to think this through.

If N1/D1 < N2/D2, it could be because N1 < N2 and D1 = D2. So AvgN will lie between N1 and N2 and AvgD = D1 = D2. It could also be because N1 < N2 and D1 > D2. AvgN will be larger than N1 but smaller than N2. AvgD will be smaller than D1 but greater than D2 so AvgN/AvgD will be greater than N1/D1 but smaller than N2/D2. It could also be because N1 << N2 and D1 < D2 i.e. N1 is much smaller than N2 as compared to D1 to D2.
It could be because N1=N2 but D1>D2. Again, AvgD will lie between D1 and D2 and AvgN = N1 = N2.
It could also be because N1 > N2 but D1 >> D2.
Take some numbers to understand why this makes sense.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Send PM
Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p < s/v, which of the following [#permalink]
How can I solve this using numbers?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
igotthis wrote:

You can take numbers such 1,2,3 and 4 as m,p,s and v
find the value between m/p and s/v
try to enter the numbers in the answer choices.
only option B will satisfy .

Thanks
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
rahultripathi2005 wrote:
igotthis wrote:

You can take numbers such 1,2,3 and 4 as m,p,s and v
find the value between m/p and s/v
try to enter the numbers in the answer choices.
only option B will satisfy .

Thanks
Rahul

Hi,

I make the plug in as follows but it does not work: 1/2 < 3/4

1. (1+3)/(2+4) = 4/6 = 2/3 so in between
2. (1*3)/(2*4) = 3/8 less than 1/2
3. (3-1)/(4-2) = 1 > 3/4

So this problem cannot solve by using plugin?? Please help to correct me if I went wrong.

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Cee0612 wrote:

I make the plug in as follows but it does not work: 1/2 < 3/4

1. (1+3)/(2+4) = 4/6 = 2/3 so in between
2. (1*3)/(2*4) = 3/8 less than 1/2
3. (3-1)/(4-2) = 1 > 3/4

So this problem cannot solve by using plugin?? Please help to correct me if I went wrong.

Thanks!

Statement 3 is (s/v) - (m/p)
When you take values as 1, 2, 3 and 4, it becomes (3/4) - (1/2) = 1/4 (This is not between 1/2 and 3/4 and hence you know that statement 3 may not hold always)

Plugging in numbers is not the best strategy for 'must be true' questions. You know that statement 1 holds for these particular values of m , p, s and v (1, 2, 3 and 4) but how do you know that it will be true for every set of valid values of m, p, s and v? You cannot try every set. You can certainly ignore statements II and III since you have already got values for which they are not satisfied. But you must focus more on statement I and try to figure out using logic whether it must always hold.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [16]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is one of those very few problems were picking numbers is almost your only weapon

Let's say that m/p<s/v,

Let's say m=4, p=2, s=3 and v=1

So let's begin with statements

I. 4+3/3=7/3=2.3 is it between 2<x<3?

Yes, so this one is true

2. Clearly not true
3. Clearly not true

Therefore only I is our best answer choice

Hope this helps
Cheers
J
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [11]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
imhimanshu wrote:
If m, p, s and v are positive, and \(\frac{m}{p} <\frac{s}{v}\), which of the following must be between \(\frac{m}{p}\) and \(\frac{s}{v}\)

I. \(\frac{m+s}{p+v}\)
II. \(\frac{ms}{pv}\)

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both

for these kind of problems, I feel it is better to keep as close as possible so that we can be confident with every option

I chose 3,4,4,5 so that 3/4<4/5 (i.e. 0.75<0.8)

I=> (3+4)/(4+5) = 7/9 = 0.77 satisfies
II=>12/20=>3/5=0.6 incorrect
III=>4/5 - 3/4 = 0.8 - 0.75= 0.05

only I is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
which of the following 'must be' between m/p and s/v?

I didn't understand the question. What does the question mean here by 'must be'?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618748 [5]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
siriusblack1106 wrote:
which of the following 'must be' between m/p and s/v?

I didn't understand the question. What does the question mean here by 'must be'?

"Must be" means for any (possible) values of m, p, s and v. So, \(\frac{m}{p}< (option) <\frac{s}{v}\), must hold true fo any positive values of m, p, s and v.

Must or Could be True Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=193

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi guys,

I got this problem on an exam pack 1 CAT and failed to solve it correctly due to a technical error (DRIVING ME CRAZY). Otherwise I picked numbers and was 99% on the right path. One question I have for you is:

Do you think testing one pari of numbers is enough? I picked 2 pairs:
- m=1, p=3, s=3 and v=4
- m=3, p=1, s=4 and v=1

These 2 options are more conservative as I wanted to test these equations for fractions and integers. Do you think this was overkill (question stem says we're talking about positive numbers and not integers)? As far as I can see, all of you tested just one pair of numbers, which of course almost certainly decreases the time needed to solve the problem.

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
bgpower wrote:
Hi guys,

I got this problem on an exam pack 1 CAT and failed to solve it correctly due to a technical error (DRIVING ME CRAZY). Otherwise I picked numbers and was 99% on the right path. One question I have for you is:

Do you think testing one pari of numbers is enough? I picked 2 pairs:
- m=1, p=3, s=3 and v=4
- m=3, p=1, s=4 and v=1

These 2 options are more conservative as I wanted to test these equations for fractions and integers. Do you think this was overkill (question stem says we're talking about positive numbers and not integers)? As far as I can see, all of you tested just one pair of numbers, which of course almost certainly decreases the time needed to solve the problem.

Thanks!

Testing numbers for "must be true" doesn't always work. One set of values could help you establish that statements II and III do not hold. But how can you PROVE that statement I will always hold just because it holds for one set of values?
You do need to establish algebraically or logically that it will hold.

Check for algebraic solution: if-m-p-s-and-v-are-positive-and-m-p-s-v-which-of-the-fol-160298.html#p1269854
Check for logical solution: if-m-p-s-and-v-are-positive-and-m-p-s-v-which-of-the-fol-160298.html#p1270389
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [16]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos