Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: A set of numbers is defined such that if x and y are in the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kalravaibhav wrote:
A set of numbers is defined such that if x and y are in the set, xy is also in the set. If 2 and 6 are in the set, which of the following must also be in the set?

I. 3
II. 12
III. 24

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. I and II only
E. II and III only

Hey Guys,

I am confused here. Please help. According to me the following is the logic:

2, 6 are in the set, then 2*6 = 12 is also in the set
if 6 and 2 are in the set then 2*3=6 ==> 3 must be also in the set
if 12 and 2 are in the set then 2*12 = 24 should also be in the set

So according to me all 3 options are possible in the set. However such an option does not exist. Please clarify.

Thanks.

Similar questions to practice:
a-set-of-numbers-has-the-property-that-for-any-number-t-in-t-98829.html
for-a-certain-set-of-numbers-if-x-is-in-the-set-then-x-136580.html
if-p-is-a-set-of-integers-and-3-is-in-p-is-every-positive-96630.html
k-is-a-set-of-integers-such-that-if-the-integer-r-is-in-k-103005.html
k-is-a-set-of-numbers-such-that-i-if-x-is-in-k-then-x-96907.html

Hope this helps.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
AccipiterQ wrote:
got it correct, but honestly I guessed.

You don't know if 2 or 6 are x or y. There could be 30 numbers in this set, and who knows what X and Y will be. All you know is two of the numbers in the set, so you can't know what other numbers have to be in it. Poorly worded question IMO

Dear AccipiterQ,
First of all, I am just going to recommend a grammar correction in what you have written:
"You don't know whether 2 or 6 are x or y."
That's a very typical GMAT SC trap. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sente ... s-whether/

I would say --- the wording of this question is very clear. I would call this a high quality, well-written question.

The issue you raise ---- we don't know whether the numbers given equal x or y --- this betrays a subtle misunderstanding. In some algebra problems, the "solve for x" variety of problems, x or y or any variable will have one definite value, or perhaps two possible values, and the point is to find those individual values. In many other algebraic situations, the variables are general variables that don't have specific values. For example, when we have the equation of the graph of a line in the x-y plane, such as y = 2x - 3, the x & y don't have individual specific values --- rather, the x & y coordinates of every point on the line, the whole continuous infinity of them, satisfy the equation. Thus, the x & y could be any one of a whole infinity of values, and yet it's very precise and clear which x' & y's could or couldn't fit the pattern.

In this set, it is unambiguous from context --- x and y are general variables that could equal any member of the set. If we know a number is in the set, that number could equal x or y. At the outset, the only known members of the set are 2 & 6, so either could be x, and either could be y. That's how we know 12 must be in the set. There's nothing saying that x and y have to be different, so if we pick x = y = 2, then 4 has to be in the set, and if we pick x = y = 6, then 36 has to be in the set. With just this analysis, we see the members of the set must include {2, 4, 6, 12, 36}. Now, any of those five numbers could be x, and any of the five could be y. Thus, if we pick x = 2 and y = 12, we see that 24 must be in the set. In fact, for what it's worth, here is the full set of all numbers less than 100 that must be in the set
{2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 36, 48, 64, 72, 96}
Many other numbers could be in the set, but those are the ones that absolutely have to be in the set, no question.

It's true --- many other element could be in the set, but that's not the question. The question is unambiguously clear: "which of the following must also be in the set?" From the analysis above, we see that 12 and 24 absolutely must be in the set, no doubt. It's true, 3 could be in the set, but that's strictly irrelevant to this particular question.

My friend, it is crucially important for you to understand: any ambiguity you experience in this question does not lie in the wording of the question itself, but in subtle gaps in your own understanding. I want you to understand this, so you resolve these issues and don't have this same ambiguous experience on test day.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
got it correct, but honestly I guessed.

You don't know if 2 or 6 are x or y. There could be 30 numbers in this set, and who knows what X and Y will be. All you know is two of the numbers in the set, so you can't know what other numbers have to be in it. Poorly worded question IMO

Dear AccipiterQ,
First of all, I am just going to recommend a grammar correction in what you have written:
"You don't know whether 2 or 6 are x or y."
That's a very typical GMAT SC trap. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sente ... s-whether/

I would say --- the wording of this question is very clear. I would call this a high quality, well-written question.

The issue you raise ---- we don't know whether the numbers given equal x or y --- this betrays a subtle misunderstanding. In some algebra problems, the "solve for x" variety of problems, x or y or any variable will have one definite value, or perhaps two possible values, and the point is to find those individual values. In many other algebraic situations, the variables are general variables that don't have specific values. For example, when we have the equation of the graph of a line in the x-y plane, such as y = 2x - 3, the x & y don't have individual specific values --- rather, the x & y coordinates of every point on the line, the whole continuous infinity of them, satisfy the equation. Thus, the x & y could be any one of a whole infinity of values, and yet it's very precise and clear which x' & y's could or couldn't fit the pattern.

In this set, it is unambiguous from context --- x and y are general variables that could equal any member of the set. If we know a number is in the set, that number could equal x or y. At the outset, the only known members of the set are 2 & 6, so either could be x, and either could be y. That's how we know 12 must be in the set. There's nothing saying that x and y have to be different, so if we pick x = y = 2, then 4 has to be in the set, and if we pick x = y = 6, then 36 has to be in the set. With just this analysis, we see the members of the set must include {2, 4, 6, 12, 36}. Now, any of those five numbers could be x, and any of the five could be y. Thus, if we pick x = 2 and y = 12, we see that 24 must be in the set. In fact, for what it's worth, here is the full set of all numbers less than 100 that must be in the set
{2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 36, 48, 64, 72, 96}
Many other numbers could be in the set, but those are the ones that absolutely have to be in the set, no question.

It's true --- many other element could be in the set, but that's not the question. The question is unambiguously clear: "which of the following must also be in the set?" From the analysis above, we see that 12 and 24 absolutely must be in the set, no doubt. It's true, 3 could be in the set, but that's strictly irrelevant to this particular question.

My friend, it is crucially important for you to understand: any ambiguity you experience in this question does not lie in the wording of the question itself, but in subtle gaps in your own understanding. I want you to understand this, so you resolve these issues and don't have this same ambiguous experience on test day.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Oh my goodness....you probably just added 30 points onto my GMAT score with this post alone. Seriously, on practice tests I have gotten EVERY one of these questions wrong. Wow....that is so clear now...I just had a 'light bulb' go off over my head. So based on being given 2 and 6, you could come up with an infinite number of numbers that have to be in the set then, yes?

P.S. Thank you for the SC tip, I've managed to go from getting about 20% of them right to about 90% right by picking up tips like that, every one helps.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
kalravaibhav wrote:
A set of numbers is defined such that if x and y are in the set, xy is also in the set. If 2 and 6 are in the set, which of the following must also be in the set?

I. 3
II. 12
III. 24

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. I and II only
E. II and III only

Solution:

Since 2 and 6 are in the set, 2 * 6 = 12 is also in the set. Since 12 is in the set, 2 * 12 = 24 is also in the set.

Answer: E
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts