Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [53]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [10]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: In 1960, 10 percent of every dollar paid in automobile insurance premi [#permalink]
Kudos
Got an E as well, C is a trap as it talks about repair costs and not costs incurred because of injury
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 293
Send PM
Re: In 1960, 10 percent of every dollar paid in automobile insurance premi [#permalink]
seongbae wrote:
In 1960, 10 percent of every dollar paid in automobile insurance premiums went to pay costs arising from injuries incurred in car accidents. In 1990, 50 percent of every dollar paid in automobile insurance premiums went toward such costs, despite the fact that cars were much safer in 1990 than in 1960.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the discrepancy outlined above?
(A) There were fewer accidents in 1990 than in 1960.
(B) On average, people drove more slowly in 1990 than in 1960.
(C) Cars grew increasingly more expensive to repair over the period in question.
(D) The price of insurance increased more rapidly than the rate of inflation between 1960 and 1990.
(E) Health-care costs rose sharply between 1960 and 1990.

Also, in general, what does it mean when price of something increased more rapidly than the rate of inflation?

Although I chose E , VeritasKarishma generis GMATNinja Can you please explain why option D is incorrect and what is meant by "The price of insurance increased more rapidly than the rate of inflation between 1960 and 1990. " ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sayan640 wrote:
seongbae wrote:
In 1960, 10 percent of every dollar paid in automobile insurance premiums went to pay costs arising from injuries incurred in car accidents. In 1990, 50 percent of every dollar paid in automobile insurance premiums went toward such costs, despite the fact that cars were much safer in 1990 than in 1960.

(A) There were fewer accidents in 1990 than in 1960.
(B) On average, people drove more slowly in 1990 than in 1960.
(C) Cars grew increasingly more expensive to repair over the period in question.
(D) The price of insurance increased more rapidly than the rate of inflation between 1960 and 1990.
(E) Health-care costs rose sharply between 1960 and 1990.

Also, in general, what does it mean when price of something increased more rapidly than the rate of inflation?

Although I chose E , VeritasKarishma generis GMATNinja Can you please explain why option D is incorrect and what is meant by "The price of insurance increased more rapidly than the rate of inflation between 1960 and 1990. " ?

"Inflation" is the general increase in prices over time, or a decrease in what you can buy for the same amount of money. For instance, in 1940 you could buy a coke for 5 cents, whereas now it costs $1.50.

The "rate of inflation" is the average rate at which prices are increasing. Let's say that, between 1960 and 1990, the price of goods doubled due to inflation (for example, a rubber ducky that cost $1 in 1960 cost $2 in 1990, and a toilet plunger that was $15 is now $30). If the price of something increases more rapidly than the rate of inflation, it means the price is even higher than it would be if only inflation played a role. So in this case, car insurance that was $20 per month could be $100 per month, instead of the expected $40 per month.

Going back to the question: we need to explain the discrepancy in the passage, which has to do with the percent of automobile insurance spent on healthcare increasing, despite cars becoming safer. The information in answer choice (D) tells us that the cost of car insurance has increased above the rate of inflation -- so, people spent more money on car insurance in 1990 than they spent in 1960. If healthcare costs are 50% of this increased amount versus only 10% of the previous lower amount, it just deepens the discrepancy in the passage. Why was so much more money spent on healthcare costs in 1990, despite cars becoming safer? (D) does not provide an explanation, so it is not the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2329 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
seongbae wrote:

Let me talk about option C, which is incorrect here. Option C can be correct if I make the following change in the passage:

In 1960, 10 percent of every dollar paid in automobile insurance premiums went to pay costs arising from car accidents. In 1990, 50 percent of every dollar paid in automobile insurance premiums went toward such costs, despite the fact that cars were much safer in 1990 than in 1960.

Since costs arising from car accidents include the cost of repair, option C would become correct since it says that the costs of repair have increased over time.

However, the original passage talks about the costs of injuries, which have nothing to do with the costs of car repair. Thus, option C is irrelevant w.r.t. the original passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
I has the same doubt about d. Awesome explanation GMATNinja. Inflation concept is quite clear now!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts