Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [90]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [39]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [18]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: A circle is drawn within the interior of a rectangle. Does [#permalink]
Tricky question.

I assumed (without thinking it through...blasted time constraints!) that because we are given no indication of the size of the circle, there is no way of knowing when in reality we do know because the circle, even if it was as large as possible, will never have an area more than 1/2 of the rectangles area.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [4]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I am not clear with this question.

No where it says that circle touches the rectangle.... so there can be very small circle within rectangle also?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Punyata wrote:
A circle is drawn within the interior of a rectangle. Does the circle occupy more than one-half of the rectangle’s area?

(1) The rectangle’s length is more than twice its width.

(2) If the rectangle’s length and width were each reduced by 25% and the circle unchanged, the circle would still fit into the interior of the new rectangle.

Dear Punyata,
This is a great question, and I am happy to help.

Statement #1: Suppose length is exactly twice the width. That rectangle would essentially be two side-by-side squares, with the "separator" between the two squares erased. Well, think about it: a circle fits neatly into a single square. Therefore, the circle would take up part of the area of one half, and none of the area of the other half. Now, if we make the rectangle even longer than two squares, longer than twice the width, then there will be even more area outside of the square containing the circle. Therefore, the area of the circle is much less than half the area of the rectangle. This question, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Statement #2: For this one, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/scale-fact ... decreases/
Suppose the original rectangle is A = L*W. If length is decreased by 25%, it goes down to 3L/4. Similarly, width goes down to 3W/4. The new area is (3L/4)*(3W/4) = 9LW/16 = 9A/16. This is a new rectangle with just more than half the area of the original rectangle. In order to fit into that smaller rectangle, a circle will occupy a good fraction less than the whole --- think about a circle of radius 1 in a square of side two: the ratio of (circle are):(square area) is (pi)/4, and if we multiply 9/16 by (pi)/4, it will be less than a half. Therefore, the area of the circle is much less than half the area of the original rectangle. This question, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Answer = (D)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

But for #2, wouldn't it be possible to construct a rectangle that is just ever so slightly longer than it is wide? In other words, the reduction of the length and sides makes it so the width of the rectangle is touching the circle (maximizing the circles width and therefore, area) where the length is just slightly greater than it's width? If the approximate ratio of a circle to a square is 3/4, can't you construct a rectangle that is just slightly larger than that?

I see where you got your formula from and that makes sense, but a rectangle could be L=10 and W=10.1 If the circle before had wiggle room but now touches the sides of the width and is almost as wide as the width of the rectangle, it would surely take up more than 1/2 of the circle. That's why I would say this isn't sufficient.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Kudos
Expert Reply
WholeLottaLove wrote:
But for #2, wouldn't it be possible to construct a rectangle that is just ever so slightly longer than it is wide? In other words, the reduction of the length and sides makes it so the width of the rectangle is touching the circle (maximizing the circles width and therefore, area) where the length is just slightly greater than it's width? If the approximate ratio of a circle to a square is 3/4, can't you construct a rectangle that is just slightly larger than that?

I see where you got your formula from and that makes sense, but a rectangle could be L=10 and W=10.1 If the circle before had wiggle room but now touches the sides of the width and is almost as wide as the width of the rectangle, it would surely take up more than 1/2 of the circle. That's why I would say this isn't sufficient.

Dear WholeLottaLove,
I love your Led Zeppelin screenname. I think you are underestimating the difference in area between the two rectangles. If each side decreases by 25% to 3/4 of its original length, then the area decreases to (3/4)^2 = 9/16 = 0.5625 of the original. The smaller rectangle is only slightly larger than half the larger rectangle, so even if the circle takes up a good chunk of the smaller rectangle, it's still a long way off from the larger triangle.
The tightest rectangle to fit around a circle would be a square. Remember that a square is a special case of a rectangle.
Attachment:
cirlce in square in square.JPG
cirlce in square in square.JPG [ 35.98 KiB | Viewed 31341 times ]

All the actual sizes are shown. As you see, the ratio of the side of the smaller square to the side of the larger square if 0.75, which means each length in the larger square would have to be decreased by 25% to make the smaller square. The ratio of the squares, as predicted, is 9/16 = 0.5625, and the area, which takes up a good chunk of the smaller square ---- (pi)/4 = 0.78539816339745 approximately ---- but that's still less than half the larger square, as the final ratio indicates. Here, I am using exact values, but in the above post, I show how to arrive at this conclusion via approximations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Alright. I think I got it. You're right, I didn't fully comprehend the difference in area that reduction would make though I guess it makes sense. A 2 inch square that doubles it's length and width has an area four times larger. In other words, the ratio of the circle to the square * the ratio of the square to the larger rectangle?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Alright. I think I got it. You're right, I didn't fully comprehend the difference in area that reduction would make though I guess it makes sense. A 2 inch square that doubles it's length and width has an area four times larger. In other words, the ratio of the circle to the square * the ratio of the square to the larger rectangle?

Yes, that product of ratios is a good way to think of it --- ratio of circle to little square is (pi)/4, which is a bit more than 3/4 = 0.75 --- say about 0.8 = 4/5; and the ratio of little square to big square is (3/4)^2 = 9/16.
(4/5)(9/16) = (1/5)(9/4) = 9/20 ---- less than 1/2
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mountain14 wrote:
I am not clear with this question.

No where it says that circle touches the rectangle.... so there can be very small circle within rectangle also?

Yup. So we know that the area of circle can be less than half that of the rectangle. The circle can be tiny compared to the rectangle.

What we can determine by using each of the given statements is that given the constraints they describe, the area of the circle can't be more than half that of the rectangle. While we don't know how much less than half the rectangle's area he circle's is, it's definitely less than half. That's all we need to answer the question.

Each statement achieves this on its own. So both are individually sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel ,
Would you please explain statement 2 .

Thanks.