Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [11]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Sunland Highway Patrol Commissioner: The majority of calls [#permalink]
"pqhai" Thanks,.

this is much better than the OE in Grockit. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
Gnpth wrote:
Sunland Highway Patrol Commissioner: The majority of calls made from the blue call boxes on the side of the highway are made to report non-emergencies such as flat tires. Sometimes passersby on the highway are also reporting these same incidents using their cell phones. Since virtually all drivers on Sunland Highways have cell phones now, the call boxes are not helping motorists. Therefore, the SHP should to deactivate and remove the boxes. Doing so will decrease redundant calls to the SHP without hampering peoples’ ability to report highway emergencies.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim that the removal of the boxes, if carried out, will have the announced effect?

A) At any given time half of the drivers on Sunland Highways are talking on their cell phones.
It suggests drivers are using cell phones most of the times but it doesnot strengthens in what way it helps SHP
B) Currently, nearly one third of the blue call boxes are out of order. .
Still 2/3rs of the Boxes are working so doesnt strengthen
C) The SHP is able to trace calls made from cell phones and record the location of the caller.
Correct strengthen the arguments
D) The SHP pays $10 million annually on phone service for the call boxes.
Irrelevant
E) A motorist on passing by a cell phone is able to give more information about a highway emergency than one on the side of the road.
Out of scope

Quote:
Source :Grockit

Official Explanation to follow.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Kudos
This seems like a rather dubious answer. Nowhere is it mentioned that finding the location of a caller is important. The only thing discussed is the ability to report accidents successfully without the call boxes and limiting redundant calls. How are we supposed to assume that finding the exact location is an issue?

Maybe this is just dated now because of the ubiquitous nature of cell phones/gps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Sunland Highway Patrol Commissioner: The majority of calls [#permalink]
Error Analysis:

The argument says that the removal of blue call boxes will reduce the redundant calls and doesn't hamper the people's ability to report the accidents.

Option A- We can't tell this for sure. At any given time is extreme and needn't be true.
Option B- Irrelevant, the boxes can be repaired and used. This doesn't address the issue.
Option C- Correct. If the location and calls made by the public can be traced then, no information is lost. Bingo!!!
Option D- Irrelevant. Doesn't address the problem.
Option E- More information makes this statement wrong. The riders can pass the same information as they did before. Tricky...

Therefore the answer is Option C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Sunland Highway Patrol Commissioner: The majority of calls [#permalink]
I agree with gmathopeful19. This question needs background info that may not be known to a number of people. It seems that indeed the main advantage of blue boxes is that the dispatcher knows the location of the box. See this article in Wikipeida: en. wikipedia. org/ wiki/ Call_box
"Call boxes have the advantage that their location is immediately known, while mobile phone users in trouble do not necessarily know where they are. "
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts