Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Weakenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [7]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [11]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: Court records from medieval France show that in the years 1300 to 1400 [#permalink]
Kudos
You are absolutely right Carcass. Along with all the necessary techniques I believe learning to 'focus' is an equally important aspect on the GMAT.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Court records from medieval France show that in the years 1300 to 1400 [#permalink]
nightblade354 pikolo2510 gmatexam439 GMATNinja KarishmaB

I am bit frustrated that I got this incorrect in spite of understanding the argument (at least that's my gut).
Also weaken Qs seem to be far easier to handle than inference ones.

Quote:
Court records from medieval France show that in the years 1300 to 1400 the number of people arrested in the French realm for "violent interpersonal crimes" (not committed in wars) increased by 30 percent over the number of people arrested for such crimes in the years 1200 to 1300. The increase was not the result of false arrests; therefore, medieval France had a higher level of documented interpersonal violence in the years 1300 to 1400 than in the years 1200 to 1300.

Argument understanding:
Since this is a weaken question let us begin with identifying the main conclusion, which is: medieval France had a higher level of documented interpersonal violence in the years 1300 to 1400 than in the years 1200 to 1300.
How does author arrive here:
Bases on stats of court records: In years 1200-1300 crimes not committed in wars were for e.g. 100
then In years 1300-1400 crimes not committed in wars were for e.g. 130
Author further strengthens his claim by protecting it against possible objections, one of those is:
The increase was not the result of false arrests
Cool, so that makes the claim more genuine and believable.

I could reject B, C and E pretty quickly since they totally are irrelevant to the argument.

Quote:
(A) In the years 1300 to 1400 the French government's category of violent crimes included an increasing variety of interpersonal crimes that are actually nonviolent.

hmm, scope of arrest increased by arresting people who actually committed more non-violent crimes
but were labelled as having committed violent crimes and hence effectively the end number of people
documented to have committed violent crimes increased. Does not this weaken the claim?

Quote:
(D) When English armies tried to conquer parts of France in the mid- to late 1300s. violence in the northern province of Normandy and the south-western province of Gascony increased.

Does not this option provide alternate cause (English armies trying to conquer parts of France)
for the effect: violence in the northern province of Normandy and the south-western province of Gascony increased?
Is this option incorrect because of no mention of said provinces in main argument?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Top Contributor
I would say this

- for weaken focus on the conclusion.
- fo inference/conclusion focus on, actually, to the premise/s.

It is one of possible shortcuts.

Regards
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani wrote:
nightblade354 pikolo2510 gmatexam439 GMATNinja KarishmaB

I am bit frustrated that I got this incorrect in spite of understanding the argument (at least that's my gut).
Also weaken Qs seem to be far easier to handle than inference ones.

Quote:
Court records from medieval France show that in the years 1300 to 1400 the number of people arrested in the French realm for "violent interpersonal crimes" (not committed in wars) increased by 30 percent over the number of people arrested for such crimes in the years 1200 to 1300. The increase was not the result of false arrests; therefore, medieval France had a higher level of documented interpersonal violence in the years 1300 to 1400 than in the years 1200 to 1300.

Argument understanding:
Since this is a weaken question let us begin with identifying the main conclusion, which is: medieval France had a higher level of documented interpersonal violence in the years 1300 to 1400 than in the years 1200 to 1300.
How does author arrive here:
Bases on stats of court records: In years 1200-1300 crimes not committed in wars were for e.g. 100
then In years 1300-1400 crimes not committed in wars were for e.g. 130
Author further strengthens his claim by protecting it against possible objections, one of those is:
The increase was not the result of false arrests
Cool, so that makes the claim more genuine and believable.

I could reject B, C and E pretty quickly since they totally are irrelevant to the argument.

Quote:
(A) In the years 1300 to 1400 the French government's category of violent crimes included an increasing variety of interpersonal crimes that are actually nonviolent.

hmm, scope of arrest increased by arresting people who actually committed more non-violent crimes
but were labelled as having committed violent crimes and hence effectively the end number of people
documented to have committed violent crimes increased. Does not this weaken the claim?

Quote:
(D) When English armies tried to conquer parts of France in the mid- to late 1300s. violence in the northern province of Normandy and the south-western province of Gascony increased.

Does not this option provide alternate cause (English armies trying to conquer parts of France)
for the effect: violence in the northern province of Normandy and the south-western province of Gascony increased?
Is this option incorrect because of no mention of said provinces in main argument?

Hi adkikani,

I see that your understanding of the argument is correct. Now let's have a look at the two options where you were stuck:
Quote:

Let us prove this option with the help of an analogy. For example, in the year 2017, there were 3 types of accidents that were considered fatal: car crash, bike crash, and a bus crash. For the three types, the number of casualties was, let's say, 30. In the year 2018, the government extended the list to include 2 more types of accidents: trip over while walking on the road and slap someone on the face. Both the new "accidents" aren't fatal in nature. The number of accidents that took place in 2018 was 40 out of which 20 could be categorized under the newly added types. If you see, the number of fatal accidents actually reduced because the number of non-fatal accidents increased.

Similarly, we can say that the increase in the number of violent cases was because of the non-violent cases, weakening the argument.

I hope that helps!

Regards
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [4]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi adkikani,

Let's review the question, as well as (A) and (D).

Green = background/premise
Light blue = subconclusion
Dark blue = primary conclusion

Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) In the years 1300 to 1400 the French government's category of violent crimes included an increasing variety of interpersonal crimes that are actually
nonviolent. -- So a category was added. Because of this, we know right off the bat that more crimes were tallied than prior, so this clearly weakens it.

(D) When English armies tried to conquer parts of France in the mid- to late 1300s. violence in the northern province of Normandy and the south-western province of Gascony increased. -- While this is interesting, note that the premise says "not committed in war". Due to this, any crimes committed would not be tallied and this increase wouldn't matter. Now you are correct that it never specifies where in France the battles took place; however, the premise doesn't clarify if you need to be in that part of the country to have it not count. Because of this, we have to assume it means all of France, regardless of geography (this isn't a geography class and the GMAT isn't testing your knowledge of the world, haha). If the question specified, this would change the outcome of the answer.

Does this help?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
Hi adkikani,

Let's review the question, as well as (A) and (D).

Green = background/premise
Light blue = subconclusion
Dark blue = primary conclusion

Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) In the years 1300 to 1400 the French government's category of violent crimes included an increasing variety of interpersonal crimes that are actually
nonviolent. -- So a category was added. Because of this, we know right off the bat that more crimes were tallied than prior, so this clearly weakens it.

(D) When English armies tried to conquer parts of France in the mid- to late 1300s. violence in the northern province of Normandy and the south-western province of Gascony increased. -- While this is interesting, note that the premise says "not committed in war". Due to this, any crimes committed would not be tallied and this increase wouldn't matter. Now you are correct that it never specifies where in France the battles took place; however, the premise doesn't clarify if you need to be in that part of the country to have it not count. Because of this, we have to assume it means all of France, regardless of geography (this isn't a geography class and the GMAT isn't testing your knowledge of the world, haha). If the question specified, this would change the outcome of the answer.

Does this help?

Also note option D states that violence in the northern province of Normandy and the south-western province of Gascony increased, and there could very well be a scenario that violence in other parts of france decrease , resulting in total level to be same level as in 1200, OR it could remain same, thereby increasing the level in 1300 OR it could increase thereby further increasing the level in 1300.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts