Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [252]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [83]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [25]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [10]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
prakashchandra wrote:
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights,an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

A. an equal amount as last year,doing so by
B. the same number offered last year
C. an equal amount offered last year and
D. the same number as last year but
E. an equal number as were offered last year,

I am confused where to use amount and when to use number?

Hi Prakashchandra,

When we need to quantify Countable nouns (like children, pens,houses) we use number and when we need to quantify Uncountable nouns (like salt,advice,costs) we use amount
In the sentence above we need to quantify Flights so we use number
Hope it is clear
I think the sentence has a typo: it should be OVERHEADS not overhead,Pls.check.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while [#permalink]
Kudos
In D, isn't "same number compared to "last year". It should have been apt if compared with "last year's" or better if "same number as was last year"..

Regards

Argha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
argha wrote:
In D, isn't "same number compared to "last year". It should have been apt if compared with "last year's" or better if "same number as was last year"..

Regards

Argha

for this reason only, i eliminated D and chose E. but none of the options seems fine. Really dont know How "D" is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [33]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Why is E is wrong?
Becos, ‘an equal number’ is singular and ‘were offered’ is plural.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [26]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
If D is the official answer, then this is a lousy question. Whatever manner one may try to justify D as the correct choice by ellipsis or otherwise, D is unfit to be the correct answer as Argha has correctly pointed out. D is the antithesis of proper comparison by matching the number of flights as last year.
To think of ellipsis, the elided part must be present in the verbatim form in the early part. Which is the part that is being elided herein in D is unclear. D is a blatant mis-comparison because of the unnecessary intrusion of the comparator ‘as’. One more potentially dubious meaning of D’s faulty comparison is that ‘the same number’ is compared with what last year offered. In that case, we are wrongly comparing the number of what the airlines are offering with what the last year offered. This is untenable.
B must be the correct answer; it avoids the mis-comparison of using ‘as’ and rightly using a past participle. Also, it may be noted that the comma plus present participle ‘using’ in B modifies the subject of the previous clause and the subject’s action namely the ‘many airlines and their efforts to increase profitability’ and not ‘last year’.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
B must be the correct answer; it avoids the mis-comparison of using ‘as’ and rightly using a past participle. Also, it may be noted that the comma plus present participle ‘using’ in B modifies the subject of the previous clause and the subject’s action namely the ‘many airlines and their efforts to increase profitability’ and not ‘last year’.

Can you please explain because it looks to me that B is totally changing the meaning of the original sentence.

Original sentence is conveying that "this year", airline carriers are using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

B is saying: the same number offered last year using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

So, B seems to suggest that "last year", airline carriers were using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

Isn't this an issue?

Also, for D, I wanted to understand if the following is incorrect: I got the same number of marks as last year.

I feel this is correct, because we cannot interpret this as: I got the same number of marks as last year (got marks). :)

Originally posted by sukanyar on 29 Mar 2016, 10:44.
Last edited by sukanyar on 29 Mar 2016, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sukanyar
Hi

Possibly B is missing the finish by a whisker; probably a comma before using would have set the original intent intact.
With regard to the second point: Please look at the following clause:
No father understands the child as much as the mother. This can be interpreted as
1. No father understands the child as much as the mother does (or)
2. No father understands the child as much as he understands the mother.
The point is that there is a potential risk of misinterpretation. The risk of misinterpretation is not so much when you compare one with one's own self. But the problem arises when you compare two different entities.

This what I meant when I said ---One more potentially dubious meaning of D’s faulty comparison is that ‘the same number’ is compared with what last year offered. In that case, we are wrongly comparing the number of what the airlines are offering with what the last year offered. ---

Originally posted by daagh on 29 Mar 2016, 11:06.
Last edited by daagh on 01 Mar 2017, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks. I have edited my above post to fix a typo. Basically, I wanted to say: B seems to suggest that "last year", airline carriers were using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

So, D is - Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number as last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

It is very clear that "the same number" means the same number (of flights).

So, D is - Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number (of flights) as last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

So, it basically is: the same number (of flights) as last year.

Are you suggesting that this can be interpreted that "last year offered flights" (as opposed to "airlines offered flights")? May be I am not understanding your point about ambiguity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [2]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Kudos
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number [of flights] as [the number of flights] last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently.[/color]

What makes this question heavily difficult, especially for non-natives like me, is the amount of omissions in green.

At first sight, one can judge the construction weird, but after plugging in the omissions, it becomes clearer why the correct answer is the correct answer.

by offering X as Y but using

Well, I am far from being an expert, so this is my only explanation and justification.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Why is E is wrong?
Becos, ‘an equal number’ is singular and ‘were offered’ is plural.

Is E not also wrong because the modifier after the comma ",using...." modifies incorrectly the clause that comes before it ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos