Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7793 [141]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [16]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: For all his managerial and executive ability , President [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
eybrj2 wrote:
For all his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.

(A) For all his managerial and executive ability

(B) For all that he was an able manager and executive

(C) Despite him being an able manager and executive

(D) Able as he was in being a manager and executive

(E) Even having managerial and executive abilities

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning is that despite his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

A: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase “For all his”, conveying the intended meaning – that despite his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people. Further, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “For all that he was”; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that despite his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the word “being”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy; remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “Able as he was”; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that despite his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the word “being”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy; remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

E: This answer choice subtly alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “Even having”; the use of “Even” fails to convey the needed sense of contrast, incorrectly implying that President Hoover had managerial and executive abilities, but was also often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.; the intended meaning is that despite his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the use of "Being" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
For all his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
Yes, for has the same meaning as your example sentence. You could substitue the word "Despite" and the meaning would be the same.

Even though this is an old question (paper test), it has some good meaning elements.

A - This option is grammatically correct and has sensible meaning - "Despite managerial strenghts, Hoover was awkward with people".
B - This phrase really doesn't have a sensible meaning at all.
C - I like the word "Despite" more than "for", but the GMAT threw in "being" to invalidate the answer. This choice comes in an old test when "being" was always wrong on the GMAT.
D - Different construction that could work out from a meaning standpoint, but we have the same issue with "being" as we see in C.
E - "Even" doesn't convey the same meaning as "for" or "despite". It's close, but "even" doesn't show the sharp contract between ability and awkwardness.

KW

A and C both looked good for me and I went with C somehow... Can you please educate me why C is deemed to be wrong? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Amateur wrote:
A and C both looked good for me and I went with C somehow... Can you please educate me why C is deemed to be wrong? Thanks.

C totally changes the meaning of the original sentence. The original sentence never says that he was "manager and executive"; he just had those "abilities".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V29
Send PM
Mr @mikemcgarry I'm looking for help on this question, I hope you can give me your opinion and perspective regarding the official answer and is explanation.

Allegedly the meaning of the sentence is the most important factor after: Grammar and stylistic and redundancy, but in this case, the phrase is shocking, I've never seen a phrase like this where the meaning seams flawed...
My choice was E, as changes the meaning (for the better in my opinion) and is grammatically correct.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [8]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PaterD wrote:
Mr @mikemcgarry I'm looking for help on this question, I hope you can give me your opinion and perspective regarding the official answer and is explanation.

Allegedly the meaning of the sentence is the most important factor after: Grammar and stylistic and redundancy, but in this case, the phrase is shocking, I've never seen a phrase like this where the meaning seams flawed...
My choice was E, as changes the meaning (for the better in my opinion) and is grammatically correct.

Hello PaterD,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

There is no doubt that this official sentence is pretty mind-boggling, literally. :grin:

We do not come across such sentences very often. But yes, the original sentence is absolutely grammatical.

Meaning Analysis]: First thing first. Let's understand the intended meaning of the sentence. The first part of the sentence says that President Hoover had managerial and executive ability. The second part of the sentence says that often, he was awkward and uncomfortable when it came to dealing with people.

So apparently, the sentence presents contrasting characteristics of President Hoover.

Error Analysis: The sentence does not use any contrasting word although it presents a contrast.

However, the phrase for all his managerial and executive ability is an expression that suggests that inherent contrast in the sentence. The phrase for all his xyz is generally followed by the information pretty contrasting in nature to what has been presented through the for phrase.

So we will hold on to this answer choice, unless we find a better choice that expresses the contrast in a better way.

Process of Elimination: So let's begin this step to see if option A really is the correct answer choice.

B) For all that he was an able manager and executive: Incorrect The phrase for all that... does not mean anything.

C) Despite him being an able manager and executive: Incorrect Use of the word despite is definitely more precise and direct to present the intended contrast. But the word being has been used incorrectly in this option.

D) Able as he was in being a manager and executive: Incorrect Same error as we saw in Choice B.

E) Even having managerial and executive abilities: Incorrect If there were Despite in place of Even, this choice would have been a contender for correct answer. The word even fails to present the contrast effectively.

Hence. Choice A indeed is the correct answer.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V29
Send PM
egmat wrote:
PaterD wrote:

Hello PaterD,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

There is no doubt that this official sentence is pretty mind-boggling, literally. :grin:

We do not come across such sentences very often. But yes, the original sentence is absolutely grammatical.

Meaning Analysis]: First thing first. Let's understand the intended meaning of the sentence. The first part of the sentence says that President Hoover had managerial and executive ability. The second part of the sentence says that often, he was awkward and uncomfortable when it came to dealing with people.

So apparently, the sentence presents contrasting characteristics of President Hoover.

Error Analysis: The sentence does not use any contrasting word although it presents a contrast.

However, the phrase for all his managerial and executive ability is an expression that suggests that inherent contrast in the sentence. The phrase for all his xyz is generally followed by the information pretty contrasting in nature to what has been presented through the for phrase.

So we will hold on to this answer choice, unless we find a better choice that expresses the contrast in a better way.

Process of Elimination: So let's begin this step to see if option A really is the correct answer choice.

B) For all that he was an able manager and executive: Incorrect The phrase for all that... does not mean anything.

C) Despite him being an able manager and executive: Incorrect Use of the word despite is definitely more precise and direct to present the intended contrast. But the word being has been used incorrectly in this option.

D) Able as he was in being a manager and executive: Incorrect Same error as we saw in Choice B.

E) Even having managerial and executive abilities: Incorrect If there were Despite in place of Even, this choice would have been a contender for correct answer. The word even fails to present the contrast effectively.

Hence. Choice A indeed is the correct answer.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Dear Shraddha egmat
Thanks for the answer

As you highlight there is a contrast in the the sentence but is not directly mentioned.
A - For all his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
Because/Despite/For A then B. Awkward... but still grammatically correct. We agree.

E - Even having managerial and executive abilities, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
However/Despite/In Spite of/ Even A then B. Would not neglect the contrast but highlight it in a direct way.
https://www.wordreference.com/synonyms/even Marks it as a Synonym of Despite

In this sense, the only explanation I find, is that the idea is a paradox... So Even changes the intented meaning and so the answer is flawed.

egmat Thanks for the kind reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
PaterD wrote:

Dear Shraddha egmat
Thanks for the answer

As you highlight there is a contrast in the the sentence but is not directly mentioned.
A - For all his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
Because/Despite/For A then B. Awkward... but still grammatically correct. We agree.

E - Even having managerial and executive abilities, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
However/Despite/In Spite of/ Even A then B. Would not neglect the contrast but highlight it in a direct way.
https://www.wordreference.com/synonyms/even Marks it as a Synonym of Despite

In this sense, the only explanation I find, is that the idea is a paradox... So Even changes the intented meaning and so the answer is flawed.

egmat Thanks for the kind reply

Hello PaterD,

IMHO, the expression even though does a better job in expressing contrast than just the word even. Even though is used quite frequently to present contrast in official sentences.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
icandoit1995 wrote:
For those who don't know
For all = despite
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/for
Therefore A is correct

Why "ability" not "abilities" in option A.

Regards,
Kumar Gaurav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Gauravvinod92 wrote:
icandoit1995 wrote:
For those who don't know
For all = despite
Therefore A is correct

Regards,
Kumar Gaurav

I had the same doubt, in fact that was the only error I felt in A and hence went on to justify the C. But here is the source and I see they have used abilities.

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/arti ... ge-h-nash/

For all his managerial and executive abilities, his dealings with people were often awkward and uncomfortable - a slightly different Version.

GMATNinja egmat @daagh- would be really great if you can share your thoughts over it as always.

thanks
harsh
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harshdeepgajra wrote:
Gauravvinod92 wrote:
icandoit1995 wrote:
For those who don't know
For all = despite
Therefore A is correct

Regards,
Kumar Gaurav

I had the same doubt, in fact that was the only error I felt in A and hence went on to justify the C. But here is the source and I see they have used abilities.

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/arti ... ge-h-nash/

For all his managerial and executive abilities, his dealings with people were often awkward and uncomfortable - a slightly different Version.

GMATNinja egmat @daagh- would be really great if you can share your thoughts over it as always.

thanks
harsh

The word "ability" can be used to refer to someone's collective skill/talent/competence. The same is true of "skills" vs "skill":

• "Despite all of his artistic skill, Tim has terrible handwriting." - In this context, we care about Tim's collective skill, not his individual artistic skills (i.e. brush skills, knowledge of color/proportion, etc.).
  • "Common resume skills include problem solving, teamwork, and communication." - In this context, we care about the individual skills, so the plural noun is appropriate.

In choice (A), we are not concerned with Hoover's individual managerial and executive abilities. Instead, we are referring to his collective managerial and executive ability.

Of course, there are no black and white rules for this sort of thing. When in doubt, look for other more concrete errors first!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2329 [2]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM