Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [42]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [13]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [0]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Re: An independent analyst asserts that the new Carl Zeiss P70 camera [#permalink]
sumitkrocks wrote:
IMO E weakens the conclusion , as it shows the reasoning given by analyst is flawed ..
D and E looked contenders ..as conclusion talks about becoming an alternative..and even if most of the potential buyers have stock ..CZC's camera can become alternative for many other buyers..hence, rejected D

Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Yes Answer is correct, but I think your reasoning is little off the track

D is wrong because the argument is about the Desirability of CZ lens not about its sales, So even if its sales will not increase, it can still be most desirable of all other similar products

Actually, this is also the same reason for rejecting A

Hope you get my point
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: An independent analyst asserts that the new Carl Zeiss P70 camera [#permalink]
The trick here is to differentiate between the camera beeing bought and the camera becoming desireable.

Although I might desire and Iphone 10, I am not going to bz it because of its high price. However, only statement E actually weakens the expected desireability of the new camera lens. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Doesn't E attack the premise? According to my understanding, we need to attack the conclusion?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Isn't everything given as premises not up to be attacked?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
cyrwr1 wrote:
Isn't everything given as premises not up to be attacked?

You are absolutely correct !!!! No doubt about that...

Reconsider the stimulus once again we are not at all claiming Pokia cant provide those features, ( Cheap, quality images etc.....) we are considering those , however we are expanding the loop hole (in the arguement) / reasoning for drawing the conclusion , that people will prefer Pokia ...

Hope this helps..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
iridescent995 cyrwr1

You are correct that we are not supposed to attack premise.

So let's understand what do we mean by "attacking the premise". If you're completely disregarding whatever is mentioned in premise, then that becomes a attack on premise or you're challenging the premise. So we can never directly dismiss any premise cause that will be the wrong thing to do.

Now coming to the given question, analyst says that quality A, quality B and quality C are great, hence it would be the bestseller stuff.

Had it been a case where we said that quality A, quality B and quality C are NOT great , then that becomes a case of dismissing a premise. In this case, we are just saying that okay - analyst might be correct with his position but he is not aligned with the viewpoint of greater audience.

Hope this helped.

A bend in the road is not the end of road unless you fail to take a turn
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2107
Send PM
Hello,
I need some help here.
Option B says lower priced models will be released by other mobile manufacturers.
To me this seems to weaken "Pokia will become more desirable, low price alternative"

Could experts shed some light on this?
If my understanding is correct i will also like to know how do we reject the choice B and choose A.

Thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anandanwar wrote:
Hello,
I need some help here.
Option B says lower priced models will be released by other mobile manufacturers.
To me this seems to weaken "Pokia will become more desirable, low price alternative"

If my understanding is correct i will also like to know how do we reject the choice B and choose A.

Thanks!

Hello, Anandanwar. Option B does not weaken the argument because we cannot assume that these other lower-priced models of digital cameras will feature the qualities that would make the Pokia phone, ultimately, the more desirable, low-priced alternative to currently existing models of digital cameras. These new low-priced phones might not produce more precise... higher quality images like the Pokia model.

How would you choose option A? Well, you might notice that A is not the OA given, so you should not be choosing it. I can see where VeritasPrepBrandon is coming from earlier in the thread, but I take issue with the phrasing in answer choice (E), specifically not universally accepted. This could mean that all but one person would agree with the views of the independent analyst: consensus need not be established to lend credence to the assertions. Without the word universally, I would find (E) a much more compelling answer. As is, I find it lacking, as though we are meant to interpret it in a way that leads to challenging the argument, and I doubt an official question would be so loose with its qualifying language. Taken as a whole, I do not see any clear-cut winner among the options given, and I would recommend getting back to official material.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2107
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Anandanwar wrote:
Hello,
I need some help here.

Thanks!

Hello, Anandanwar. Option B does not weaken the argument because we cannot assume that these other lower-priced models of digital cameras will feature the qualities that would make the Pokia phone, ultimately, the more desirable, low-priced alternative to currently existing models of digital cameras. These new low-priced phones might not produce more precise... higher quality images like the Pokia model.

How would you choose option A? Well, you might notice that A is not the OA given, so you should not be choosing it. I can see where VeritasPrepBrandon is coming from earlier in the thread, but I take issue with the phrasing in answer choice (E), specifically not universally accepted. This could mean that all but one person would agree with the views of the independent analyst: consensus need not be established to lend credence to the assertions. Without the word universally, I would find (E) a much more compelling answer. As is, I find it lacking, as though we are meant to interpret it in a way that leads to challenging the argument, and I doubt an official question would be so loose with its qualifying language. Taken as a whole, I do not see any clear-cut winner among the options given, and I would recommend getting back to official material.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Thanks Andrew Sir :)
Actually I meant to write E but don't know why I typed A :|.
Thanks for the elaborate explanation.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts