Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [241]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [51]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [42]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [21]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In 1852 Robert Angus Smith published a detailed report of the chemistr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anujkhatiwada wrote:
Mike doesn't choice B have the "the..the" idiom where i changed the font color, or am i misinterpreting your explanation?

Dear anujkhatiwada,
The way the idiom is constructed, in each branch, the comparative word must immediately follow the word "the" ---- "the closer", "the more", etc. The word "city" is not a comparative word.

The more I think about this, the more I think this is not a question up to GMAT standards. Above I chose (A), but now I think that "more ... increasingly acidic" is redundant, and thus, no answer choice correctly phrases this. I think the correct phrasing would be
that the closer one came to town, the more acidic the city air became
Notice the two comparative structures that immediately follow the word "the" in each branch. That's the ideal, and no choice really comes acceptably close to that.

Mike :-)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [16]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In 1852 Robert Angus Smith published a detailed report of the chemistr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
guerrero25 wrote:
In 1852 Robert Angus Smith published a detailed report of the chemistry of rain in a large area around the city of Manchester, England, noting that the closer one came to town, the more the city air would become increasingly acidic.

(A) that the closer one came to town, the more the city air would become increasingly acidic

(B) that the city air became increasingly acidic the closer one came to town

(C) that coming closer to town, the city air became increasingly acidic

(D) that the more the city air became increasingly acidic, the closer one was to town

(E) the city air becoming increasingly acidic as one would come closer to town

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the city air became increasingly acidic with proximity to the town.

Concepts tested here: Modifiers + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• The "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to hypothetical future actions and habitual actions in the past.
• In a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the "would + simple present tense verb ("become in this sentence)" construction to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to hypothetical future actions and habitual actions in the past. Further, Option A redundantly uses "more" alongside "increasingly", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy; this usage is redundant, as both words convey a sense of increasing degree.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the clause "the city air became increasingly acidic the closer one came to town", conveying the intended meaning - that the city air became increasingly acidic with proximity to the town. Further, Option B correctly uses the simple past tense verbs "became" and "came" to refer to events that concluded in the past. Additionally, Option B is free of any awkwardness/redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses "coming closer to town" to modify "the city air", illogically implying that the city air was coming closer to town and becoming increasingly acidic as it did so; the intended meaning is that the city air became increasingly acidic with proximity to the town; please remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "the more the city air became increasingly acidic, the closer one was to town"; the construction of this phrase reverses the cause-effect relationship, incorrectly implying that one's proximity to town increased with the acidity of the city air; the intended meaning is that the city air became increasingly acidic with proximity to the town. Further, Option D redundantly uses "more" alongside "increasingly", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy; this usage is redundant, as both words convey a sense of increasing degree.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "becoming" in this sentence) and the "would + simple present tense verb ("become in this sentence)" construction to refer to events that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [17]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
guerrero25 wrote:
In 1852 Robert Angus Smith published a detailed report of the chemistry of rain in a large area around the city of Manchester, England, noting that the closer one came to town, the more the city air would become increasingly acidic.

A)that the closer one came to town, the more the city air would become increasingly acidic
B)that the city air became increasingly acidic the closer one came to town
C)that coming closer to town, the city air became increasingly acidic
D)that the more the city air became increasingly acidic, the closer one was to town
E)the city air becoming increasingly acidic as one would come closer to town

OA to follow

Dear guerrero25,
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

This one is using a idiom that the GMAT loves. See this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... mparisons/
The form of this idiom is
"the" [comparative][clause #1], "the" [comparative][clause #2]
This idiom implies causality --- it implies that the changing comparative in the first clause is responsible for the changing comparative in the second clause.

We need the word "that" following "noting", so (E) is wrong.

Choices (B) & (C) don't have the form, so they are wrong.

Choice (D) follows the idiom correctly, but the order is strange --- it almost seems to imply that making the air more acidic would cause us to move closer to Manchester. That's not the intended meaning, and it doesn't really make sense.

Choice (A) follows the idiom correctly, and it also has the correct order of causality. As we move closer to Manchester, a direct result of that action would be to encounter air that is more acidic. Choice (A) is the best answer.

Does all this make sense?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
guerrero25 wrote:

A)that the closer one came to town, the more the city air would become increasingly acidic
D)that the more the city air became increasingly acidic, the closer one was to town

OA to follow

Mike doesn't choice B have the "the..the" idiom where i changed the font color, or am i misinterpreting your explanation?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
OA is (B) :(
I picked A because of the similar reasoning as Mike's. I have no clue why the correct answer is B
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 98.34 KiB | Viewed 86580 times ]

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
windofchange wrote:
OA is (B) :(
I picked A because of the similar reasoning as Mike's. I have no clue why the correct answer is B

Dear windofchange,
Apparently, the GMAT tolerates more variation in this idiomatic structure than they did previously. Since this is the case, choice (B) is the best answer, as skyhawk eloquently explained. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [6]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A)that the closer one came to town, the more the city air would become increasingly acidic Illogical sentence - it reads as if someone were the reason that rain becomes increasingly acidic; enteral state of the verb "became" should replace "would become" because the conditional tense indicates someone must get closer for the rain to become increasingly acidic

B)that the city air became increasingly acidic the closer one came to town OK; the trap is the inverted sentence structure

C)that coming closer to town, the city air became increasingly acidic The "coming closer to town" modifies "city air", making an illogical meaning -- it reads as if the relationship between the city air and the proximity of the city were the reason for acidity

D)that the more the city air became increasingly acidic, the closer one was to town ]Illogical sentence

E)the city air becoming increasingly acidic as one would come closer to town No verb in subordinate clause.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [2]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Meaning & Structure:

In past RAS published report..................., noting something.

Independent clause, -Ing modifier modifying the preceding clause.

When RAS already noted something, then there is no point using 'WOULD'.
Correct !
Who is coming closer ?
Cause effect reversed.
Would is the issue again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
anujkhatiwada wrote:

Dear anujkhatiwada,
The way the idiom is constructed, in each branch, the comparative word must immediately follow the word "the" ---- "the closer", "the more", etc. The word "city" is not a comparative word.

The more I think about this, the more I think this is not a question up to GMAT standards. Above I chose (A), but now I think that "more ... increasingly acidic" is redundant, and thus, no answer choice correctly phrases this. I think the correct phrasing would be
that the closer one came to town, the more acidic the city air became
Notice the two comparative structures that immediately follow the word "the" in each branch. That's the ideal, and no choice really comes acceptably close to that.

This point confused me as well Mike. - More .... increasingly acidic sounded too verbose and wordy , thus incorrect
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshujovi wrote:
This point confused me as well Mike. - More .... increasingly acidic sounded too verbose and wordy , thus incorrect

Dear himanshujovi,
I'm happy to respond. :-) The "more .... increasingly acidic" is part of (A), which is the wrong answer. That is a bit wordy, but more importantly, it's redundant. A little wordy is not always a problem, but redundant is always wrong.

The OA is (B). Does this all make sense?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Olin '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
himanshujovi wrote:

Dear himanshujovi,
I'm happy to respond. :-) The "more .... increasingly acidic" is part of (A), which is the wrong answer. That is a bit wordy, but more importantly, it's redundant. A little wordy is not always a problem, but redundant is always wrong.

The OA is (B). Does this all make sense?

hi Mike

can option A be removed on the basis that double comparatives indicate a causality, and in option A the causality is wrong. i.e. being closer to city does not cause increase in air acidity

thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [10]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos