Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Usage of 'between' & 'among' [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
farful wrote:
Hi Mike,

I didn't see the two idioms in the idiom e-book you've linked.

Regarding the sentence:
Johnny had to decide between going to Europe, buying a new car, or staying in college.

Assuming "decide between" is correct, why is it "decide between A, B, or C" as opposed to "decide between A, B, and C"?

Dear farful,
The idiom ebook includes many examples, but I think it would be impossible to create an exhaustive list of every possible idiom. There's no replacement for a habit of sophisticated reading.

The word "between" always takes the word "and", regardless of how many elements follow; therefore, as far as I understand, "between" with "or" is always incorrect and unidiomatic.

The GMAT Club Grammar Book was a community project, so I have no idea who was responsible for the sentence ...
Johnny had to decide between going to Europe, buying a new car, or staying in college.
... but it is my understand that this is incorrect.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
Kudos
Personally I have never come across any official question in which 'between' has been used for more than two things. While this could be some weird grammar rule, I don't think it should be relevant for the GMAT. And 'between....or' is just not happening.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
From what I read from a book I am currently referring to:

We should use "between" when we are talking about distinct, and discrete items.

On the other hand, we use "among" when we are talking about things that aren't distinct items or individuals; "among" is used when the connections are more collective.

freakygeek wrote:
Sally had to choose between the red and white dresses.
Let’s keep this secret between you and me.
However, between can also be used when talking about a distinct relationship of more than two individual items, groups, or people
Examples:
Business negotiations between the governments of the United States, China and South America are going well despite cultural differences.

Can someone please explain why the examples above ( in bold ) are correct ? shouldnt among be used here ?

As mentioned above, "among" cannot be used because we are talking about "distinct" things (example: governments of the United States, China and South America). However, "among" would be used in this scenario:

Among the Asian countries, China has the strongest economy.

Here, "Asian countries" is used as a "collective" and so, "among" is used.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts