Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Strengthenx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [218]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [46]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [24]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that [#permalink]
Kudos
I believe D should be the answer, and here is why

The argument states that the machine will be able to distinguish plants from weeds solely on the differences in the shade of color. D states that plants can be bred to have a distinct shade of color. This means that a plant can be bred with a distinct shade of color that is completely different from that of the weeds. Thus, this development will favor the development of this machine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have chosen D for this question:

It sounds like nobody posted the OA - it is D. This question is #51 in Verbal 2nd Edition.

This passage states that an inventor created a machine that would replace manual weeding, thereby reducing the labor costs.

A. This would actually weaken the argument. The reason is because if there is a large degree of variation in shade of color between weeds, it would be very tough for the machine to differentiate.

B. Again, this weakens the argument. If the color of some plants change over the course of the season, this would make it difficult for the machine to differentiate between a plant and a weed.

C. This describes something that the machine would not be able to do. Therefore, it weakens the argument.

D. This would support the argument. The reason is because manipulation of plants to a certain shade of color would allow the machine to be much more efficient. For example, if we manipulated the plants to be only dark green, then it becomes much easier for the machine to differentiate between plants and weeds.

E. This statement is irrelevant. Also, it suggests that labor costs would not be reduced because there are other agricultural duties that require attending.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that uses cutting blades with optical sensors and
microprocessors that distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color. The inventor of the
machine claims that it will reduce labor costs by virtually eliminating the need for manual weeding.

Which of the following is a consideration in favor of the company’s implementing its plan to develop the prototype?

(A) There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species.
(B) The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.
(C) When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop
plants from weeds.
(D) Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a
distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.
(E) Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at
times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

I wanted to ask about the role of choice E.
" farm ppl who are responsible for manual weeding work on other agricultural activities during the season when extensive weeding is not required.This could mean 2 things:
a) they have other activities that they can perform during the weeding season . Instead of manually weeding out the weeds, they can perform these other activities. So, the cost of hiring the others for these activities can be saved.

b ) these activities that farm labourers responsible for weeding perform during the season when weeding is not required can only be performed during that particular season. If so, the farm labourers can be relieved during the actual weeding season,thus saving on the costs.

explanation in OG vr2 says : This does not favor the company’s implementing the plan to develop the machine. There would
still be tasks other than weeding that would require hiring staff . Thus there would still be labor
costs even if the need for manual weeding were eliminated"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [7]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Its not actually a strengthen question. It asks us to choose an option that supports the implementation of the plan by the company. The company's plan is to develop the prototype not to reduce labour costs.
Hence the option we are seeking should say,"Ok, its good to go ahead with the plan."
Now just look at D) which says "selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics".
The machine operates by first distinguishing the color and then cutting the weeds which have a different shade.
Option D) clearly helps us to believe that if distinctive shade of color is possible without altering any other characteristics then the machine can very much be put to use. Hence the company should go ahead with its plan to develop the machine.
If this explanation helps please do not hesitate to give me kudos.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Reasoning: a prototype with optical sensors and microprocessors can distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color.

Prethinking:
--> So, the bigger the diff. in shade of color between weeds and crop, the easier it will be for a mashine to distinguish between them.
--> fewer colors of weeds > many colors for the mashine to ba able to distinguish between weeds and crop.

Question Type: Strengthen --> so, new information is appreciated here

Which of the following is a consideration in favor of the company's implementing its plan to develop the prototype?

A. There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species --> weakens the argument - see the reasoning stated above
B. The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season --> is it easier for mashine to make a distinction it this case ? NO.
C. When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds --> irrelevant. We are concerned about the shade of color. Actually, it's a weakener.... more factors that must be distiguished by the mashine.
D. Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics --> CORRECT. Distinctive shade of color makes it easier for the mashine to make such distinction.
E. Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary --> irrelevat. "Zero" information about the mashines and a distinction....
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

I would like to know what is it that a student misses to get to OA
in such HARD questions apart from skimming through the argument.

Goal of plan: To develop a prototype that makes clear difference between weeds and plants on basis of differences in shades of color.

Q type: I need to strengthen the implementation of above plan.

Quote:
(A) There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species

Nope we need to chop off weeds from plants, different types of weeds are not my areas of concern

Quote:
B) The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.

It says shades of some plants change drastically ie in a large extent during the span of their growth.
So it does help new prototype machine to chop of plants from weeds.

Quote:
(C) When crops are weeded manually, overallsize and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.

No mention how difference in color is useful in chopping off plants from weeds.

Quote:
(D) Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.

As per me, the biggest reason missing out on this is: no mention of automatic weeding machine in OA, but I had to infer fair amount
of understanding from argument to link how selection and genetic changing of almost a large number of plants to allow to have
an unique shade of color of each plant from one another . At least I could not infer to such an understanding level under time pressure.
What is the correct way of approach here?

Quote:
(E)]Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

Totally out of scope
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [10]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

I would like to know what is it that a student misses to get to OA
in such HARD questions apart from skimming through the argument.

Goal of plan: To develop a prototype that makes clear difference between weeds and plants on basis of differences in shades of color.

Q type: I need to strengthen the implementation of above plan.

Quote:
(A) There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species

Nope we need to chop off weeds from plants, different types of weeds are not my areas of concern

Quote:
B) The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.

It says shades of some plants change drastically ie in a large extent during the span of their growth.
So it does help new prototype machine to chop of plants from weeds.

Quote:
(C) When crops are weeded manually, overallsize and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.

No mention how difference in color is useful in chopping off plants from weeds.

Quote:
(D) Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.

As per me, the biggest reason missing out on this is: no mention of automatic weeding machine in OA, but I had to infer fair amount
of understanding from argument to link how selection and genetic changing of almost a large number of plants to allow to have
an unique shade of color of each plant from one another . At least I could not infer to such an understanding level under time pressure.
What is the correct way of approach here?

Quote:
(E)]Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

Totally out of scope

As you mentioned, the key is being able to differentiate between weeds and plants based ONLY on differences in shade of color.

All we know from (B) is that some plants will change color. We don't know whether that will make it easier or harder for the machine to differentiate between weeds and plants. It might somehow make it easier but it also might not (i.e. perhaps the machine will have a hard time keeping track of the plants if their colors are constantly changing). Without further information, we can't tell whether (B) would hurt or help, so it must be eliminated.

(D) specifically tells us that we could use selection and genetic manipulation to give virtually ANY plant a a distinctive (i.e. unique) shade of color. If every plant has a distinctive color, then it will be easy for the machine to identify the plants based on color alone. This clearly helps, so (D) is the best answer.

Sakshij0694 wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinja
I am down to A and D and i find A more convincing then D to choose.

Please help me with this.
I invented a machine which differentiates Tshirts on the basis of color and helps me to pick one.
Now the more degree of variation of color, more will be the efficiency of the machine to choose correctly.

Example - I want a red shirt and the pool contains Red - Blue - Black which all are vibrant colors and easy to differentiate from.
However, If the pool contains Magenta,Purple, Dark Purple which narrows are variation of colors and this will lead to a subtle difference in choosing of an Tshirt for the machine and this will be a problem for the machine.
How to choose?

The same is the case for this machine here.

Thanking in advance.

Sakshij0694, sorry for the delay...

(A) only talks about the color variation among weeds, not the color variation between weeds and plants.

(A) only tells us that there is wide range of colors among weeds. That does not necessarily mean that the weeds colors are all distinctive and easy to differentiate (i.e. there still might be several shades close to purple, several shades close to orange, several shades close to green, etc.). In other words, having a wide range does not necessarily mean that weeds can be divided into a few discrete, easily separable color groups.

More importantly, it doesn't tell us anything about weeds vs plants. Is it easy to differentiate the weeds from the plants? Maybe the wide range of weed colors actually makes the machine's job harder... if there is a wide range of weed colors and a wide range of plant colors, the machine might not be able to tell which is which. We might have red, blue, and black weeds and also red, blue, and black plants. This would obviously make it harder for the machine.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2102 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM