Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [30]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [11]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 470 Q37 V18
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 560 Q37 V30
GMAT 4: 610 Q41 V34
Send PM
Re: The perimeter of square S is 40. Square T is inscribed in square S. [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Given that the perimeter of Square 40 , gives you the information that each side is 10.
The case of a square in a square , you can see as square T as a ''diamond'' inside the square S. The midpoint of this square become 5 (in the middle ). The side of this new square can be obtained by the use of Pythagorean 5-5-5*sqrt(2). This gives you the information that the side of area = 5*sqrt(2).

5*sqrt(2)*5*sqrt(2)=50.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: The perimeter of square S is 40. Square T is inscribed in square S. [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Abdul29 wrote:
Fabino26 wrote:
The perimeter of square S is 40. Square T is inscribed in square AS. What is the least possible value of the area of square T ?

A. 45
B. 48
C. 49
D. 50
E. 52

Consider this picture:

The perimeter of square S is 40 implies each side of S is 10, which also means that diagonal of square S is 10. In the picture, the diagonals of square S, split square T into 4 isosceles right (45-45-90) triangles, which, as you know, have length ratios of \(x:x:x\sqrt{2}\). As you can see, the sides of square T represent the hypotenuse of each of the smaller 4 triangles, thus each side of triangle T has a length of \(5\sqrt{2}.\)

Since the area of the triangle is \(x^2\), \((5\sqrt{2})^2\) = 25*2 = 50, thus choice (D).

Thanks for the correction! T is inscribed in square S of course. I edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 1474
Send PM
Kudos
Can anybody please explain me that why are we not considering the option of a 7 * 7 square inscribed into the square S as dis would give us the area less than 50.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618908 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
maggie27 wrote:
Can anybody please explain me that why are we not considering the option of a 7 * 7 square inscribed into the square S as dis would give us the area less than 50.

Square T is inscribed in square S means that the vertices of square T are on the sides of square S. You cannot inscribe a square with sides of 7 into a square with sides of 10.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 1474
Send PM
Thanks much Bunuel :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [2]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
maggie27 wrote:

Also note that area of inscribed square is always half than that of the original square
As Bunuel pointed out, if it goes less than 50, it means some of the vertex is not touching side of the original square.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
If \(x^{2}\) is area of square, then find x, one side of the square. If square is inscribed, then diagonal is the length of larger square and therefore the diagonal is \(10\). To determine the side, the formula also includes the area of the square, \(x^{2}\). So, if \(2x^{2} = 100\) then \(x^{2}=50\)

D.

Thanks,
A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Fabino26 wrote:
The perimeter of square S is 40. Square T is inscribed in square S. What is the least possible value of the area of square T ?

A. 45
B. 48
C. 49
D. 50
E. 52

Perimeter of S= 40 ; side = 10
Now square T area can only be minimum if this 10 is its diagonal
Therefore area of square t = diagonal^2/2 = 100/2 = 50
ANSWER IS D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Kudos
first, test takers have to understand that inscribe means the square T touches the square S.
Secondly, using feeling and imagination and experience in geometry, 4 points of T can move on sides of square S. The minimum is if all 4 points are mid-points of sides of square S.

If that is the case, then the area of square T is half of that of square S.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Square T has its least possible area when its vertex bisects each side of square S.
Now using the Pythagoras Theorem, the hypotenuse shall be the side of Square T.

Hence, 5(squared) + 5 (squared) = 50
50(root) comes out to be each side of Square T.
Area of Square T = root of 50 squared = 50

Source: GRE Club

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Square T has its least possible area when its vertex bisects each side of square S.
Now using the Pythagoras Theorem, the hypotenuse shall be the side of Square T.

Hence, 5(squared) + 5 (squared) = 50
\sqrt{50}comes out to be each side of Square T.
Area of Square T = root of 50 squared = 50

Source: GRE Club

Hope it helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts