Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
mgh234 wrote:
mba20144 wrote:
sobe1hopeful wrote:
ritinster ,

There was no need to write a dissertation defending your comment. Sayak57 asked about Indians, not American Blacks or Ugandans. Also, you imply that sayak57 has more "talent" than people from the previously mentioned groups, and compared them negatively to him. That was not cool IMHO. No amount of stats or story-boarding will change my impression of your comment. No need to respond back to me. Best of luck with your applications.

well you are a consortium applicant and hence benefit from affirmative action. you are are either hispanic or african american so clearly you don't see anything wrong with it.but believe me if you are white male or asian you see this all the time. in work place,in elite colleges and it sucks. when you work very hard day in and day out and you see your seat go to a black guy or a hispanic solely because they are black or hispanic i don't think its fair.if they were better than me i would be fine with that but thats usually not true. so i completely agree with the persons comment above. the fact is that political correctness trumps actual results.

Hahaha, it looks like ritinster made an alternative account just to continue his racist arguments (account was created today, same writing style). This is so ridiculous.

I am brown-skinned(light brown, not that it matters...), but I completely agree with ritinster and mba20144(maybe same person or not I dont care). We have the same situation in India. There is a 45% reservation in India, under law in all IITs(Indian Institute of Tech, best engg colleges in India...think Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc), NITs(National institute of tech, 2nd best engg colleges, still incredibly difficult and my alma mater...think UCLA,UNC,UCB, UVA, etc), all medical colleges, all IIMs(Indian Institute of mgmt....they are pretty good too, the best management collegs in india) and all government/public sector jobs. This reservation is for some specific castes(think african americans) and tribes(think native americans) and other sections(think hispanic americans) that the country wants to uplift. It is very very unfortunate for the common people like me to get into good schools and public sector jobs in India. Even the merit difference in these institutes is staggering, between the general people and the reservation admitted people. For example, I could get 98.5 percentile in the MBA admission test in India, back in 2010(no work experience), and I would get no IIM calls. But a reserved candidate could get 90 percentile and get calls from all 7 IIMs.
Its sad, but it happens. I think its necessary, to uplift all sections of society. There are some sacrifices to be made for the greater good. I have no bias against them, even my wife is a reserved quota person. We just have to learn to live with it.

And so on.........
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Sayak57,

That is not how "affirmative action" works in the US. Our education system does not impose a reservation on slots to schools or jobs. No one is owed anything. An 800 GMAT, 4.0 GPA, and work experience in PE does not guarantee a person admission to any top school. Admissions are by nature subjective. If an application is not successful the applicant should look inward and not outward for reasons why and craft a better application next time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
sayak57 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
mba20144 wrote:

I am brown-skinned(light brown, not that it matters...), but I completely agree with ritinster and mba20144(maybe same person or not I dont care). We have the same situation in India. There is a 45% reservation in India, under law in all IITs(Indian Institute of Tech, best engg colleges in India...think Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc), NITs(National institute of tech, 2nd best engg colleges, still incredibly difficult and my alma mater...think UCLA,UNC,UCB, UVA, etc), all medical colleges, all IIMs(Indian Institute of mgmt....they are pretty good too, the best management collegs in india) and all government/public sector jobs. This reservation is for some specific castes(think african americans) and tribes(think native americans) and other sections(think hispanic americans) that the country wants to uplift. It is very very unfortunate for the common people like me to get into good schools and public sector jobs in India. Even the merit difference in these institutes is staggering, between the general people and the reservation admitted people. For example, I could get 98.5 percentile in the MBA admission test in India, back in 2010(no work experience), and I would get no IIM calls. But a reserved candidate could get 90 percentile and get calls from all 7 IIMs.
Its sad, but it happens. I think its necessary, to uplift all sections of society. There are some sacrifices to be made for the greater good. I have no bias against them, even my wife is a reserved quota person. We just have to learn to live with it.

And so on.........

mba20144, ritinster, and you sayak57 should get over your insecurities. Let me ask you a question, if everything was determined by academic merit, or test taking ability, then why arent 99.9% of all CEOS in the world Indian or Asian men? Maybe what is important is not only your academic fortitude, but also your ability to be a well rounded and cohesive individual. The comments from you all clarify that you do NOT have the mental ability to be a great MBA candidate. You still see the world from whatever small shell of a hole you are in. Stop being salty over not having a call back and work on your social abilities. Afterall, failure is the ultimate form of motivation...no?

As for me, Im 75% african american and 25% native american (shinnecock)...I am disgusted by your comparrison of a lower "castes" in India to being black, and some random "tribes" to being Native American...I am nothing like you or your people and vice versa. You talk about "sacrifices to be made" in reference to not having a spot in a program? Are you serious? Maybe thats the problem with "common" people like you, you are just too common for your own good.

I hope that I never have to study with a person like MBA20144. In fact, I take that back. I hope we are in the same class, taking the same classes, so I can show you just how fast I can run circles around you...maybe then you will get the big picture.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
welcome to america...if you are against affirmative action.if you value talent over race you are racist ( all these consortium applicants should have to reveal their gpa and gmat scores).if you are against illegal immigration you are racist. here we are making scientists and engineers from asia and europe wait for 15 yrs to give them a green card but if you cross the border illegally welcome to you.how about your healthcare? lets give you a free healthcare system. lets steal a social and work illegally without paying taxes...lets also demand amnesty just coz we can because there are so many of us...
its okay if 98% blacks vote for obama but if 98% of tea partiers happen to be white then voila tea party is racist. the truth is simple and all those ranting about a holistic process and stuff is this- if you have a job at google and have 2 recommendations from person x and y and the same ec's and you are black you will get in with a 620 gmat at duke but if you are white or asian the odds will be against you even if you a gmat of 720.

you would have very very few african americans and hispanics at elite colleges if it is not for affirmative action and that is the hard truth. it isn't because i think they are intellectually inferior but because of non-existent family values. about 80% of african american kids being born out of wedlock.until the black community does something about that no amount of affirmative action can save them. there is a reason why they are at the lowest end of the economic spectrum. irish,italians,indians,chinese,japapnese all have come and have worked hard and at the higher end of the economic spectrum..all have come after africans. intact asians came here after 1970's with nothing and today 50% of the workforce in silicon valley are asians. but african americans still want reparation!

Originally posted by mba20144 on 28 Feb 2014, 11:45.
Last edited by mba20144 on 28 Feb 2014, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
and yes i do hope i am in the same class as you and can show you how its done.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [4]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
mba20144 wrote:
welcome to america...if you are against affirmative action.if you value talent over race you are racist ( all these consortium applicants should have to reveal their gpa and gmat scores).if you are against illegal immigration you are racist. here we are making scientists and engineers from asia and europe wait for 15 yrs to give them a green card but if you cross the border illegally welcome to you.how about your healthcare? lets give you a free healthcare system. lets steal a social and work illegally without paying taxes...lets also demand amnesty just coz we can because there are so many of us...
its okay if 98% blacks vote for obama but if 98% of tea partiers happen to be white then voila tea party is racist. the truth is simple and all those ranting about a holistic process and stuff is this- if you have a job at google and have 2 recommendations from person x and y and the same ec's and you are black you will get in with a 620 gmat at duke but if you are white or asian the odds will be against you even if you a gmat of 720.

you would have very very few african americans and hispanics at elite colleges if it is not for affirmative action and that is the hard truth. it isn't because i think they are intellectually inferior but because of non-existent family values. about 80% of african american kids being born out of wedlock.until the black community does something about that no amount of affirmative action can save them. there is a reason why they are at the lowest end of the economic spectrum. irish,italians,indians,chinese,japapnese all have come and have worked hard and at the higher end of the economic spectrum..all have come after africans. intact asians came here after 1970's with nothing and today 50% of the workforce in silicon valley are asians. but african americans still want reparation!

Ritinster, instead of having consortium applicants reveal their GPA/GMAT, why don't you stop making alts, changing your name, and deleting your posts. Why are you so scared to have your statements stand on their "merit." Further more, for someone who cares so much about merit, why is your grammar, spelling, and vocabulary at the level of a middle schooler? I really think you have some SERIOUS issues going through your post history, and there's zero chance a top business school is going to let someone like you in. Please learn some respect for other people and how to act like an adult and function in modern society.

Of course, the ultimately irony is that your work experience is "Only 25 yrs old with managerial work experience in small business," with poor interview skills, which, even if you were an underrepresented minority, wouldn't be good enough to get into a top school. I've never seen someone as deluded as you in my whole life. I'm usually a nice guy, but I can't wait until Duke rejects you, and you go away. Hopefully that'll cause you to do some introspection, but I think you're too far gone.

Originally posted by mgg234 on 28 Feb 2014, 11:58.
Last edited by mgg234 on 28 Feb 2014, 12:04, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [10]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
No offense, but if you guys want to discuss afirmative action or quota-based admissions, would you mind starting a different thread for that? I think this one should be reserved for people with questions and support regarding the application process.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
GPA: 3.57
WE:Psychology and Counseling (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
mba20144 wrote:

So what you're saying is people should only be compared by 1 standardized number and no consideration should be given to their background, demographic or culture? A number, mind you, that only accounts for 16% of variance in Graduate GPA (https://epm.sagepub.com/content/66/2/305.abstract). While I realize this is statistically significant it is only one piece to performing well at an MBA program.

Furthermore, please don't compare Irish, Italians and other demographics that willingly came to America to groups that were forced here via slavery. As a Half-black, half-Italian person of color I find the comparison offensive. It does not further any rational argument to the conversation and only cements you as a race-baiting troll.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As I said people who benefit from affirmative action will never understand and are ignorant . It's been 150 odd years since slavery was abolished when do you guys start accepting that? This sense of entitlement is precisely the reason the black community is where it is. Anyways I am done with this .

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
mba20144 wrote:

Ritinster, instead of having consortium applicants reveal their GPA/GMAT, why don't you stop making alts, changing your name, and deleting your posts. Why are you so scared to have your statements stand on their "merit." Further more, for someone who cares so much about merit, why is your grammar, spelling, and vocabulary at the level of a middle schooler? I really think you have some SERIOUS issues going through your post history, and there's zero chance a top business school is going to let someone like you in. Please learn some respect for other people and how to act like an adult and function in modern society.

Of course, the ultimately irony is that your work experience is "Only 25 yrs old with managerial work experience in small business," with poor interview skills, which, even if you were an underrepresented minority, wouldn't be good enough to get into a top school. I've never seen someone as deluded as you in my whole life. I'm usually a nice guy, but I can't wait until Duke rejects you, and you go away. Hopefully that'll cause you to do some introspection, but I think you're too far gone.

You are seriously delusional and have no idea of who you are talking to. For the last time address me and don't post your comments to someone I don't know
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
thefinancelady wrote:
No offense, but if you guys want to discuss afirmative action or quota-based admissions, would you mind starting a different thread for that? I think this one should be reserved for people with questions and support regarding the application process.

Thanks!

Soooooooooo ....... How about those Blue Devils!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I just want to wish everyone the best of luck in regard to receiving an invite for admission from Fuqua. Fuqua is an amazing program and those of us that are lucky enough to gain admission will surely bond with one another over the years. Fuqua is known for having an exceptionaly cohesive and engaged community of advisors, students, professors and alumni. I hope that some of us have the opportunity to not only develop into future business leaders but also promote positive change around us. There are many global equality and sociopolitical issues still present in the world and it's up to each and every one of us to play a role in creating a better environment for all people. Anyone else as excited as I am?

Oh, and those blue devils are gearing up for a nice run in March. I think this will be a great tournament this year!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
sobe1hopeful wrote:
thefinancelady wrote:

Thanks!

Soooooooooo ....... How about those Blue Devils!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should be a fun tournament run this year!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [6]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [6]
Given Kudos: 18863
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Moderator Note: Ritinster/MBA20144 - it is against GMAT Club rules to have multiple accounts and to mislead others. However, I also understand you had issues with account access after changing the email address, still you should have identified yourself with a similar username or by a signature - this should be considered an official warning for breaking the rules. I also see that you have denied having the two accounts linked together - I am sorry but that's not appropriate. Thank you for being a part of GMAT Club - Our goal is to be a place that encourages helpfulness and leadership. I am only finding evidence of the opposite. Please consider this your second warning, which results into a deactivation of both accounts.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Best Regards,
BB
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Attention Duke Fuqua lurkers - Add Fuqua to your Applicant Profile on GMAT Club!

Fuqua is 1 applicant away from having spot #7 and 6 applicants away from having spot #6
You can outrank Sloan and Columbia EASY!

CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO ADD FUQUA TO YOUR PROFILE

Help your school achieve a higher ranking in the GMAT School Discussions subforum - add Fuqua to your profile! Go Fuqua!!!!
Attachments

2014-03-03_0857.png
2014-03-03_0857.png [ 191.56 KiB | Viewed 3326 times ]

Originally posted by bb on 03 Mar 2014, 09:59.
Last edited by bb on 03 Mar 2014, 10:05, edited 4 times in total.
Edit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
i saw my test scores on the portal change status...now they are showing as fuqua mba approved.did someone else see that?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  63   64   65   66   67   68   69  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts