Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: In most industries the rising cost of support services [#permalink]
In most industries the rising cost of support services actually passes a greater financial burden to customers; in the legal profession, for example, a current climb in the cost of court reporting has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.

is forcing many attorneys is correct because the rising costs is present tense. Therefore D
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [9]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In most industries the rising cost of support services actually passes a greater financial burden to customers; in the legal profession, for example, a current climb in the cost of court reporting has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.

3 and 5 can be eliminated on first look.
3. has meant that many attorneys are being forced to raise their hourly rates.
5. is meaning that many attorneys are raising their hourly rates by force.

1, 2 and 4 all grammatically correct. 1 and 2 uses present perfect and both are correct and two correct options are not possible; thus, 4 is the black sheep in the herd and is the right answer by POE.
1. has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.
2. has made many attorneys raise their hourly rates.
4. is forcing many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.

Present perfect represents actions happened just before present in unspecified time and that are true in its effect in present as well.

my work has completed: work just completed before present and you can check the fact.

in above question "a current climb in the cost of court reporting " is suggesting that something is happening or happened in present tense and thus its effect must be that point onward in continuous tense. has "present perfect" suggests that action completed just before present tense and thus attorneys can not raise rates before the current climb or before present tense.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [2]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
First of all, If I see nothing wrong with the statement being underlined in the first look, I would be reluctant to go through the options rigorously enough to identify that two options are same..Both the options represent a different scenario (As deciphered by the reader)...So both option should be correct..Screwed my gmat verbal test score :evil: :evil: :x :(
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
PiyushK wrote:

3 and 5 can be eliminated on first look.
3. has meant that many attorneys are being forced to raise their hourly rates.
5. is meaning that many attorneys are raising their hourly rates by force.

1, 2 and 4 all grammatically correct. 1 and 2 uses present perfect and both are correct and two correct options are not possible; thus, 4 is the black sheep in the herd and is the right answer by POE.
1. has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.
2. has made many attorneys raise their hourly rates.
4. is forcing many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.

Present perfect represents actions happened just before present in unspecified time and that are true in its effect in present as well.

my work has completed: work just completed before present and you can check the fact.

in above question "a current climb in the cost of court reporting " is suggesting that something is happening or happened in present tense and thus its effect must be that point onward in continuous tense. has "present perfect" suggests that action completed just before present tense and thus attorneys can not raise rates before the current climb or before present tense.

First of all, If I don't see anything wrong with the underlined statement in the first look, I would be reluctant to go through the options rigorously enough to identify that two options are same..Both the options represent a different scenario (As deciphered by the reader)...So both option should be correct..Screwed my gmat verbal test score :evil: :evil: :x :(

Quite disappointed with the quality of questions & explanations in the Verbal CAT..Quant looks fine
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
The answer seems to be 'D'. 'Is forcing' parallel with 'Raises' in clause 1. This is a GMAT Prep question and they cant be wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
The cultural legacy of the British Empire in Singapore contrasts sharply with that of other former British colonies. While countries such as India and Malaysia have de-emphasized the time they spent under British rule, going so far as to change most English place names, Singapore has generally embraced its colonial past.

A recent article by McDermott attributes this difference to a number of reasons, each of which distinguish Singapore from other former colonies. To begin with, Singapore did not have a shared history and culture before the arrival of the British. The area occupied by the modern state was sparsely populated and had been ruled by a series of local empires. A large majority of Singapores present-day population consists of the descendents of Chinese and Indian immigrants that arrived during the colonial period. Secondly, the cultural factors that unite Singaporeans today were developed during British rule. Among the most important of these cultural factors is a shared embrace of commerce and industry. During the colonial period, Singapore became a regional center of finance and international trade, and this status has continued to the present day. Economic prosperity is a national priority for nearly all Singaporeans. Finally, Singapore endured comparatively little strife in its transition to independence. In 1963, the country was joined in a union with the newly independent state of Malaysia through an Act of Parliament. Malaysia had only recently achieved independence, and only after a long guerilla war with the British. Two years later, Singapores union with Malaysia was dissolved and the country became a fully independent state.

What is the Primary purpose of passage?
A.To discuss the historical background of the culture of a particular nation
B.To illustrate a way in which a diverse population has discovered a shared cultural heritage
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Yale '20 (I)
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
Send PM
Hello. I am confused between A and D. Can you please help with which verb tense should be used here?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos