Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [85]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [29]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [27]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Metro Research is moving into a new office space, configured as shown [#permalink]
Kudos
TheApplicant wrote:
Can someone please help understand how to approach this question?
Thanks in advance!!

Attachment:
1469067393819.jpg
1469067393819.jpg [ 71.92 KiB | Viewed 52610 times ]
Attachment:
1469067388120.jpg
1469067388120.jpg [ 73.51 KiB | Viewed 52384 times ]
Attachment:
1469067377147.jpg
1469067377147.jpg [ 52.36 KiB | Viewed 52109 times ]

Answer is 2.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Metro Research is moving into a new office space, configured as shown [#permalink]
The problem is I faced in this one is I did't paid attention to the openings of the cubicles.
For instance A,B in adjacent to 121 only , similarly C,D is adjacent to to 120 only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
TheApplicant wrote:
Thanks in advance!!

Can someone explain this one? I have no idea how the space could be assigned under statement 2?
Attachments

Metro Research_IR GMAT Prep4_Q.png
Metro Research_IR GMAT Prep4_Q.png [ 341.93 KiB | Viewed 48448 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
bubblehead0922 wrote:
TheApplicant wrote:
Thanks in advance!!

Can someone explain this one? I have no idea how the space could be assigned under statement 2?

If two more employees are assigned to Jamal, then Jamal would have 4 employees under him. To be adjacent, the employees must be in cubicles A, B, C and D in 119 and Jamal must be in office 121 and 120. This limits the potential workspace assignments if Jamal only had two employees. For example, Jamal could have been in office 115 and Atticus and May could have been in 116 and 114 respectively. However, with 4 employees now, Jamal can no longer be assigned office 115.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
For question2, I just cannot quite understand its meaning
What does this sentence ‘ it would PREVENT some employees from being assigned workspace using the current rules’ mean???does it mean that if situation 1、2、3 established(which we select ‘yes’), then some employees ‘’cannot’’ obey the rules mention in the FIRST PARAGRAPH of the question?????(Each employee will be assigned exactly one workspace—an office or a cubicle—with no more than one employee per office or cubicle. Supervisors will not be assigned workspace in cubicles. If an employee has an immediate supervisor, the employee's office or cubicle must be adjacent to that supervisor's office.)

To khamdy71
What you said is the key point to answer question2, in these kind of question, we should reduce the variation as possible as we can, C is one with the most complex relationship, since C HAS RELATIONSHIP WITH L S E, ALSO C IS SUPERVISOR, SO THE ONLY TWO POSITION C CAN SIT IS OFFICE 120&121
So in situation1, if M P S need ‘office’ not ‘cubicle’, then we can try different situations below

please see attachment
Attachments

Metro Research is moving into a new office space.docx [420.67 KiB]
Downloaded 238 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
TheApplicant wrote:
Discussion (Tab 1)
Metro Research is moving into a new office space, configured as shown in the Floor Plan, with eight individual offices (111, 112, 114, 115, 116, 117, 120, and 121) and four cubicles (119A through 119D). Each employee will be assigned exactly one workspace—an office or a cubicle—with no more than one employee per office or cubicle. Supervisors will not be assigned workspace in cubicles. If an employee has an immediate supervisor, the employee's office or cubicle must be adjacent to that supervisor's office.

Attachment:
Tab. 1.jpg

Table (Tab 2)
The table lists the ten employees at Metro Research and shows each employee's immediate supervisor, if any. The supervisors are also employees, so each supervisor's name appears in both columns.

Attachment:
Tab. 2.jpg

Floor Plan (Tab 3)
The floor plan shows the office space that Metro Research will occupy, in the northeast corner of one floor of a building. Two offices are adjacent to each other if and only if they are separated by a common wall. A different definition of adjacent applies to cubicles: cubicles 119A and 119B are adjacent only to office 121, while 119C and 119D are adjacent only to office 120.

Attachment:
Tab. 3.jpg

Question. 1
Based on the information and workspace assignment rules provided, how many employees are there, each of whom could be assigned to office 112?

A. 1

B. 2

C. 3

D. 4

E. 5

Question. 2
For each of the following situations, select Yes if, based on the information and workspace assignment rules provided, it would PREVENT some employees from being assigned workspace using the current rules. Otherwise, select No.
Attachment:
Q. 2.png

Q #1: B. 2
Q #2 Yes, Yes and No

Can anyone explain q2, statement 3 how we can Richard's resigning can be pertaining to the rules when there are no rules mentioned for the case resignation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This question is so hard. I lost to much time trying to figure it out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Okay, I think I have a simple way to think about question 2 of question 2.

Since Jamal already has 2 people under him, if he has 2 more, he will have a total of 4 people under him. That means that 4 people will have to be "adjacent" to Jamal. This FORCES Jamal to be in office 120. Two of his people in 190C&D, another person in 121 and another person in 117.

Now, took at what other supervisor has two people under them. Yup, Ciaran. Remember, the two people under Ciaran must be adjacent to Ciaran. So that FORCES Ciaran to be in 115 and for Ciaran employees (Salena and Elena) to be in 114 and 116. At this point in time, there are only 2 more available offices (111, 112). But remember, Ciaran has her own supervisor (Leila) that must be adjacent to Ciaran. Thing is, now Ciaran has nowhere to go since 111 and 112 are not adjacent to Ciaran's office (115). Therefore, Jamal having a total of 4 employees is not possible.

Since this one is a 50/50 chance of getting right, I would not put too much time into getting it right on the exam.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
gaurav2m wrote:
TheApplicant wrote:
Discussion (Tab 1)
Metro Research is moving into a new office space, configured as shown in the Floor Plan, with eight individual offices (111, 112, 114, 115, 116, 117, 120, and 121) and four cubicles (119A through 119D). Each employee will be assigned exactly one workspace—an office or a cubicle—with no more than one employee per office or cubicle. Supervisors will not be assigned workspace in cubicles. If an employee has an immediate supervisor, the employee's office or cubicle must be adjacent to that supervisor's office.

Attachment:
Tab. 1.jpg

Table (Tab 2)
The table lists the ten employees at Metro Research and shows each employee's immediate supervisor, if any. The supervisors are also employees, so each supervisor's name appears in both columns.

Attachment:
Tab. 2.jpg

Floor Plan (Tab 3)
The floor plan shows the office space that Metro Research will occupy, in the northeast corner of one floor of a building. Two offices are adjacent to each other if and only if they are separated by a common wall. A different definition of adjacent applies to cubicles: cubicles 119A and 119B are adjacent only to office 121, while 119C and 119D are adjacent only to office 120.

Attachment:
Tab. 3.jpg

Question. 1
Based on the information and workspace assignment rules provided, how many employees are there, each of whom could be assigned to office 112?

A. 1

B. 2

C. 3

D. 4

E. 5

Question. 2
For each of the following situations, select Yes if, based on the information and workspace assignment rules provided, it would PREVENT some employees from being assigned workspace using the current rules. Otherwise, select No.
Attachment:
Q. 2.png

Q #1: B. 2
Q #2 Yes, Yes and No

Can anyone explain q2, statement 3 how we can Richard's resigning can be pertaining to the rules when there are no rules mentioned for the case resignation?

Someone leaving alleviates restrictions. That is always welcome and will always lead to something working like it always has in the past. If A is working and B removes a restrictive quality of A, B will also work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Can someone help me understand how "Richard resigns his position at Metro Research." is NO? It is possible to assign workspace for everyone even if Richard resigns right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V42
GMAT 3: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 4: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Not sure if anyone else has shared this already, but there is an additional question under this data set now:

For each of the following pairs of employees, select Yes if, based on the information and workspace assignment rules provided, the two employees might be assigned offices 111 and 112. Otherwise, select No.

Yes/No Kim and Richard
Yes/No Jamal and Atticus
Yes/No Mei and Ciaran

Yes Kim and Richard
No Jamal and Atticus
No Mei and Ciaran
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 501
Send PM
Without more detailed information, how can we know this situation—Q2(1) Mei, Pablo, and Selena need offices because the projects they work on require the highest levels of security—has something to do with the rule—the employee's office or cubicle must be adjacent to that supervisor's office.

To wit, the fact that their jobs need the highest security level does not necessarily mean their offices/cubicles cannot be assigned next to their superviors'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
nisen20 wrote:
Without more detailed information, how can we know this situation—Q2(1) Mei, Pablo, and Selena need offices because the projects they work on require the highest levels of security—has something to do with the rule—the employee's office or cubicle must be adjacent to that supervisor's office.

To wit, the fact that their jobs need the highest security level does not necessarily mean their offices/cubicles cannot be assigned next to their superviors'.

I just got this wrong on a practice exam, but now I see why. Leila supervises Pablo and Ciaran, and Ciaran supervises Selena and Elena. There is no way to arrange the employees such that Mei, Pablo, and Selena get offices and still have enough rooms to put everyone collectively under Leila adjacent to each other and satisfy the office requirement for the 3 workers (and 2 supervisors, don't forget the question stem states they can't be in cubicles) in question. If Selena needs an office, she and Elena have to bracket Ciaran, and Pablo and Ciaran have to bracket Leila (and Ciaran and Leila have to also be in offices).

Leelaprrasanna wrote:
Can someone help me understand how "Richard resigns his position at Metro Research." is NO? It is possible to assign workspace for everyone even if Richard resigns right?

The question is whether the item happening will prevent assignment of employees to workspaces; you are right, Richard resigning still lets everyone get assigned an office/cubicle. It doesn't prevent them being assigned, hence "No".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Kudos
Excuse my French, but how the hell is anybody supposed to solve these two question within 3, or even 4 minutes? There's no way.... What's the point of even putting it on the test?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I would like to know the time it took you to solve this question. What should be the ideal time we should generally take to solve such questions?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
This question is time consuming, is there structured approach on such question or is it hit and trial even if we start with most complex relationship?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos