Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [521]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [81]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [65]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [33]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

Sentence presents two facts about JB-
1) To JB, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
2) she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

Structure: Noun phrase, clause1 and clause2.
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate[/u], and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

JB is the subject of both the parts. "and" indicates parallelism and for meaning clarity, these clauses should be parallel. In other words, the subject pronoun "she" should refer to the subject noun of the preceding clause and hence JB should be the subject of the first clause.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate- JB should be the subject of the former clause

'her' is redundant.

B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home- JB should be the subject of the former clause

Structure: noun phrase, modifier, clause 1 and clause 2 - placement of introductory elements is bad

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

Structure: Clause 1 modifier and clause 2

The construction is reversed.

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

Structure: Modifier, Clause 1 and Clause 2- Looks good!

E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker- JB should be the subject of the former clause

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
CrackVerbal
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [12]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate

(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home

(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

(E) Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Concepts tested here: Parallelism + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• For referring to the purpose or intent of an action, the infinitive verb form (“to + base form of verb" – “to + be” in this sentence) is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing" - "being" in this sentence) construction.
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "Paris was her home..." and "she remained in France..."; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy and indirect construction "To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "Paris was her home" and "she remained in France..."; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy and indirect construction "For Josephine Baker...Paris was her home", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice uses the passive and needlessly indirect construction "long before to be an expatriate was fashionable", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly maintains parallelism between "Josephine Baker made Paris her home" and "she remained in France...". Further, Option D uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this case) to refer to the intent of the action "it was fashionable". Additionally, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "being" in this sentence) to refer to the intent of the action "it was fashionable"; remember, for referring to the purpose/intent of an action, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing"). Further, Option E uses the needlessly indirect clause "Paris was home to Josephine Baker", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Two independent sentences are coordinated using “and”. The subject of the second sentence “She” and it would be clear if the Subject of the first sentence clarifies “She”.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate [o be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate – awkward – eliminate it]
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home [Hold it]
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Bookmarks
WHY C is wrong?

og explains that C is wrong because the inversion is aukward.

I infer that "to do " as subject is not prefered

and

it is+ adjective+ to do

is prefered.

is my thinking correct?, experts, please,explain this point.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
vietmoi999 wrote:
WHY C is wrong?

og explains that C is wrong because the inversion is aukward.

I infer that "to do " as subject is not prefered

and

it is+ adjective+ to do

is prefered.

is my thinking correct?, experts, please,explain this point.

if you fit option C in sentence:

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate,and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance
is that sounds correct.
before it was fashionable to be an expatriate was fashinable expatriate.

i think clause cannot be the object of a sentence.
moreover an expatriate was fashinable expatriate==>this is completely awkward too.

about your doubt can you please elaborate what you wanted to say.

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [3]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Betweem B and D:

B) "For Josephine.. Paris was her home" just doesn't sound right. We already know "her" refers to Josephine, and the addition of "her" in this place is just awkward. Also, the "for" in the beginning kind of distorts the intended meaning of the author.

D) First we're given an inessential clause, then Josephine is introduced and the rest of the underlined portion is parallel to "she remained in France" .. So D is correct
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [16]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
freakygeek wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

I am wondering if there are any other others in this sentence except the one that OG has pointed out, that is 2 independent clauses when connected by ', and' are most clear when their subject is same.

Can you please help me here ? Also, In D answer choice since opening modifier is about Paris, doesnt it seem to be modifying 'Josephin Baker' rather than Paris ?

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your query here.

The parallelism error between the two clauses seems to be the only grammatical error in option A, but you can also see this as a meaning issue. The subject of the sentence should be Josephine Baker, since the main point of the sentence is to tell us something about her. This focus is lost when Paris is made the subject of the sentence.

Modifiers about time periods tell us when the subject performed an action; they don't describe the subject itself. This modifier could theoretically be replaced by a modifier such as the following: In 1940, Josephine Baker made Paris her home. Here, the time period doesn't have to tell us more about the subject; it merely tells us about the time in which she performed a certain action. The modifier in option D functions in pretty much the same way: it tells us when Baker made Paris her home.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts!

Regards,
Meghna
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jeetmech152 wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

Please explain what 'it' refers to in the opening modifier of correct choice.

and why ans choice C is incorrect.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thank you for your query. :)

I will certainly help you understand the correct choice and the use of “it” in the same. However, before I do that, I would like to request you to kindly provide me with your meaning and error analysis of the original sentence along with your analysis of the correct choice. If your answer is different from the OA, kindly include in your analysis the reasons for marking the alternate choice as the correct answer. Your analysis will help me in addressing not only this particular doubt but also any possible conceptual gap in your understanding. Hope you'll appreciate the same. :)

Regards,
Neeti.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
jeetmech152 wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

Please explain what 'it' refers to in the opening modifier of correct choice.

and why ans choice C is incorrect.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thank you for your query. :)

I will certainly help you understand the correct choice and the use of “it” in the same. However, before I do that, I would like to request you to kindly provide me with your meaning and error analysis of the original sentence along with your analysis of the correct choice. If your answer is different from the OA, kindly include in your analysis the reasons for marking the alternate choice as the correct answer. Your analysis will help me in addressing not only this particular doubt but also any possible conceptual gap in your understanding. Hope you'll appreciate the same. :)

Regards,
Neeti.

Hi Neeti,

Here is the analysis:

Meaning: Long before a fashion to be an expatriate arrived, Josephine baker lived in paris(Which was her native place).
During WW2 she lived in France as a performer and an intelligence agent for the resistance.

Error analysis:
cl1: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate,and
cl2: She remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

S-V pairs are fine , Verb Tense--> All events in the sentence are properly set in the past, Pronoun-->in cl1 'it' is missing an antecedent., 'she' in cl2 clearly refers to J.B,
Modifier-->' Long before....expatriate' is correctly telling us abt when was paris home to J.B. ,
Parallelism-List in cl2 is parallel, No Idioms, Meaning is clear,
Others--> Her in cl1 is redundant , Subject of cl1 and that of cl2, which is not underlined, should refer to same entity i.e. J.B in this case, but the subject of cl1 is paris, which is an incorrect reference

POE:
A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate - Wrong: for the above mentioned reasons.
B. For Josephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home - Wrong:This choice repeats the errors in choice A
C. Josephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable - Correct: All the errors in original choice are rectified.
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home - Wrong: Pronoun 'it' has no antecedent.
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker - wrong: J.B. should be subject of cl1, pronoun 'it' has no antecedent

With the analysis above, I selected choice C as the correct answer. However, the OA is choice D. Please let me know where did I falter in my analysis.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [2]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate,

B. For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home,

C. Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable,

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home,

E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker,

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate -- Sort of passive arrangement, making Paris as the subject

B. For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home -- redundant

C. Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable -- distorts the meaning, wordy

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home -- Correct

E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker -- Passive voice and use of being

Answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Send PM
Kudos