Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q160 V162
GPA: 3.94
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 640 Q41 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
RVC360 wrote:
Hi BLC,
And congrats for the acceptance, hopefully some of us will join you next semester at Austin, I agree with you that the campus visit is a must, you never truly get a sense of that “collaborating culture” until you are there, and meet staff and peers, they are really friendly people.
Something that we all want to know since we are R2 applicants is, did they told you about your acceptance before the deadline or after the deadline?
Best,
Rod.

I can answer this as well. I was accepted R1 (although I won’t be matriculating so to someone on the WL, my spot is open). Got an email on the day decisions went out. Apparently they do call some people as well. Don't be discouraged if you don't get a call.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: You Are Not Your GPA
that is a whole different blog post). I’m talking about how you convey who you are that makes you unique. And many of you might find presenting this part of your application the most difficult of all.

Let me give you an example. Say you have a 700 GMAT and a 3.8 GPA. Congratulations! You are sitting pretty. So you write an essay that is very straightforward. You want to take this class, have this internship, and ultimately work here. We can learn a lot about you based on your work history and your academic and career trajectory. But let’s face it, a lot of people want to take that class, have that internship, and work there. And frankly a lot of people have a 700 GMAT and 3.8 GPA. What ELSE will make me think that YOU are unique, so you float to the top of the pile?

There is no single answer to this question, but here are some tips to help you get started.

First, create a personal profile. Like above, list your work experience, your education, your academic and career goals, and where you ultimately want to see yourself in 10 years. Then list your personal interests: things like writing, traveling, helping with charities, making films, teaching yoga, investing money, sailing, scaling ridiculously high mountains for no reason but to see the view, and/or eating, as examples. Next, start to connect the dots. What about these various elements of your past, present, and future intersect? Does your drive to reach CEO status have anything to do with your mountain climbing? Does your love of food and travel have anything to do with your unique capabilities to work in diverse team settings and to find accord among very different people? Does your history as a writer impact your ability to draft great marketing communications? Though there are many, many people who love to eat, climb mountains, work in marketing and who thrive in diverse settings, it is the particular combination of YOUR interests, history and path, that make up your unique story. It is how you tell this story that makes all the difference in how we view you as a potential MBA candidate.

If it helps, think about it from my perspective, that of an admissions officer. My goal is to find a collection of highly capable people that will not only succeed in this environment (as evidenced by things like GPA, GMAT, work experience and education) but who also contribute something to our community. I want to know who you are as a person. And if I can see you as a person, then I can picture you in our school, interacting with all the other diverse students, and contributing your individuality to the overall uniqueness of our amazing institution. This is the overall package: convincing us that you are not only capable, but that you are special and that we will be lacking something without your presence.

It is important to note that in our review of a typical MBA student, GMAT and GPA alone do not offer any consistent indication of success in the program. What I mean by this is, even if you have a 750 GMAT, this does not in itself indicate to us that you will succeed—that you will make good grades, find an internship, thrive in your study groups, and find a good job. It is the combination of knowing you are capable (again, your grades, scores, work experience and education), who you are as a unique person, and your commitment to McCombs, that offers us every indication of how well you’ll do. And remember, telling your story well can go a long way to convincing us that a so-so GMAT or GPA is nothing to worry about in the long run, because you have a clear sense of who you are and what you are capable of, as evidenced by the way you present yourself.

So if McCombs is really where you want to get your MBA, remember there is a human being on the other end reading your story, looking beyond the numbers and searching for a connection. Convey to us your passion and what makes you unique. We are excited to learn more about you! Show us you’re excited to get to know us too.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hey guys, I keep reading that McCombs calls the people it accepts. There are a couple of days during the week when I shut my phone off. I have a new phone and am still not sure how to check voice mails. Anyway, my question is do they also send an e-mail? Seems like that's the safe thing to do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-01-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
GmatNY86 wrote:
Hey guys, I keep reading that McCombs calls the people it accepts. There are a couple of days during the week when I shut my phone off. I have a new phone and am still not sure how to check voice mails. Anyway, my question is do they also send an e-mail? Seems like that's the safe thing to do.

R1 admit, will be attending in the fall

I never received a call. I got an email. If they can't reach you on the phone, I'm sure they just send an email. Don't worry, they won't take your acceptance away because you didn't answer :) For those who were notified by a call, I'm not sure if they got the admit email as well. I think either way your application status will be updated and that will send you a notification by email.

For R1 applicants, the admits started to trickle in starting Dec 11th; R1 deadline was Dec 20th. It was completely random, didn't seem to be a pattern whatsoever (no pattern regarding those who interviewed on campus/alumni/skype, region, alpha order of names...nothing, it seemed to be entirely random to mess with our heads lol). Some were called, some were emailed leading up to the Dec 20th deadline, but it was very patchy. You can go back on the forum to look at the posts during that time to see what I mean.

On Dec 20th- the deadline, I got my admit email around 5pm CST. So basically, just plan to stress out the entire time, while silently cursing all the people that get admits before you haha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
AnonIsab wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:

R1 admit, will be attending in the fall :)

For R1 applicants, the admits started to trickle in starting Dec 11th; R1 deadline was Dec 20th. It was completely random, didn't seem to be a pattern whatsoever (no pattern regarding those who interviewed on campus/alumni/skype, region, alpha order of names...nothing, it seemed to be entirely random to mess with our heads lol). Some were called, some were emailed leading up to the Dec 20th deadline, but it was very patchy. You can go back on the forum to look at the posts during that time to see what I mean.

On Dec 20th- the deadline, I got my admit email around 5pm CST. So basically, just plan to stress out the entire time, while silently cursing all the people that get admits before you haha

Thanks! I finally figured out voice mail on my phone. I guess that's not something that I would bring up in an interview, I can't figure out voice mail! :lol:

I guess I can relax for now though, there's still plenty of time and I have 2 other schools before that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mittal wrote:
Have we realistically past the dates to receive the interview invites?

There are some interview invites yet to go out, as the admissions officers are still reviewing applications.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
@McCombsStudent

Are R1 Waitlisted applicants considered again in R2? If not, only after R2/R3?

Are any updates or supplemental materials to the application welcome?

On last year's forum I saw that McCombs allowed applicants to send a video response...will there be something similar this year?

@All

Anyone on WL heard anything?

/fingerscrossed

GL to all! Hook'em.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE:Accounting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
McCombsStudent wrote:
mittal wrote:
Have we realistically past the dates to receive the interview invites?

There are some interview invites yet to go out, as the admissions officers are still reviewing applications.

Hi ,

Your message has given me great hope on my application. I am R2 applicant and still waiting for Interview Invite.

Hope luck goes my way.

Regards

Vish
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Kudos
I just got the accepted phone call. They let me know that they'll be sending/emailing an admissions packet and let me know a little about preview weekend.

Good luck everyone!

Hook em
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
pcsouthern wrote:
I just got the accepted phone call. They let me know that they'll be sending/emailing an admissions packet and let me know a little about preview weekend.

Good luck everyone!

Hook em

Congrats mate!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
pcsouthern wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Hook em

First off, CONGRATS!!!

Did you apply R2 Fulltime? And was it the general app or via the consortium?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Also just got the acceptance call!!! Totally took me by surprise - all the best to everyone waiting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
cmgs99 wrote:
Also just got the acceptance call!!! Totally took me by surprise - all the best to everyone waiting.

Congrats mate!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For anyone who received the call, did you guys get the call from a skype number 661-748-0240? I got the missed call from that number and wonder if it's from UT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
timduncan21 wrote:
For anyone who received the call, did you guys get the call from a skype number 661-748-0240? I got the missed call from that number and wonder if it's from UT.

Malware Phishing Scam Alert From Skype Phone Number (661) 748 0240

Source: https://botcrawl.com/malware-phishing-sc ... -748-0240/

FWIW, Austin's main area code is 512.

It could still happen though!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Congrats to the accepted!
I submitted in R2, no interview call yet. Are we past the interview dates already?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q162 V164
Send PM
siliconbeach wrote:
Congrats to the accepted!
I submitted in R2, no interview call yet. Are we past the interview dates already?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I would have to think so.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38  ...  52   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts