Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q56 V50
GPA: 3.87
WE:Investment Banking (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Re: USC MBA reputation [#permalink]
Kudos
I also get the sense the university is poised to grow in this regard. They've taken a very proactive stance in establishing a presence and connection with the "Pacific RIm," and as any process like this goes - it takes time.

So while I wouldn't say it's a reputation to be blown away by currently, it is a reputation that is known and steadily building. Considering Haas' obvious presence in the bay, and UCLA always being the bridesmaid to Haas, I think SC has been very smart in making this a focus of theirs. That said, I hope the momentum that is pushing the university as a whole starts picking up with Marshall. It's a great school that should be performing better than it appears to be.

I think this is a brand whose value will grow in the future. Look at the progress they've made in just the past 20 years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
christinemmx86 wrote:
I also get the sense the university is poised to grow in this regard. They've taken a very proactive stance in establishing a presence and connection with the "Pacific RIm," and as any process like this goes - it takes time.

So while I wouldn't say it's a reputation to be blown away by currently, it is a reputation that is known and steadily building. Considering Haas' obvious presence in the bay, and UCLA always being the bridesmaid to Haas, I think SC has been very smart in making this a focus of theirs. That said, I hope the momentum that is pushing the university as a whole starts picking up with Marshall. It's a great school that should be performing better than it appears to be.

I think this is a brand whose value will grow in the future. Look at the progress they've made in just the past 20 years.

Agreed. I could see Marshall becoming a top 15 school in the next ten years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
I'll try my best to share my experience about USC that is hopefully relevant to Marshall
I didn't attend USC for my MBA, but I got another graduate degree from there.

First of all, I find the campus to be amazing. The student body is also very diverse and there's a ton of school spirit. I compare it to my undergraduate school which has a reputation for school spirit, but USC blows it away. It's in an urban location in the heart of Los Angeles but the campus feels very college-like so I personally enjoy that.

Second, I know that USC has fallen in rankings (what happened?) and I'm a bit sad about this because UCLA Anderson and USC Marshall were considered peers just a few years ago but now the gap has gotten much more noticeable. However, I don't think recruiters pay close attention to rankings like people do here because USC is still highly respected in SoCal. In my own recent experience, having USC on my resume has gotten me interviews at some of the most competitive and highly desirable firms that I would have no chance at otherwise (100% truth). I'd argue that many firms in SoCal view UCLA and USC to be the same level (from undergrad level to grad level), because I've gotten shortlisted for interviews that only UCLA Anderson, Caltech, and candidates from those type of schools were invited to. However, the reputation difference starts becoming much more noticeable outside of CA. UCLA Anderson is considered regional, but USC is even more so.

Third, if you're sure about living in Southern California for a long time and you're not bothered as much about rankings, USC is worth considering further. I'm still involved with USC even after graduation and I attended a casual luncheon on campus last week to meet new admits for the program that I graduated from. The lunch food was of extreme high quality (short rib steak, crab cake, fresh seafood, tons of different desserts, etc) and this is just an example of some of the benefits that you can get by graduating from USC and living in SoCal. I basically went to campus last week for free lunch :P. When I go back to campus for these type of events, people call me "as part of the family". I don't know many schools that actually say that to you face to face and make it feel that way. I know my undergrad school couldn't care less.

I live in Southern California and I'm very proud to be a graduate of USC here. There's certainly the network, the many benefits of living near the school after graduation, the "brand" it gives on my resume for SoCal company recruiters, etc. I don't know everyone's different situations but if you're interested in entertainment, F500, marketing, finance (even some of the elite SoCal finance firms), non-MBB consulting, and these type of fields in the L.A. area, I think USC could be a good choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
DimensionalFundGuy wrote:
I'll try my best to share my experience about USC that is hopefully relevant to Marshall
I didn't attend USC for my MBA, but I got another graduate degree from there.

First of all, I find the campus to be amazing. The student body is also very diverse and there's a ton of school spirit. I compare it to my undergraduate school which has a reputation for school spirit, but USC blows it away. It's in an urban location in the heart of Los Angeles but the campus feels very college-like so I personally enjoy that.

Second, I know that USC has fallen in rankings (what happened?) and I'm a bit sad about this because UCLA Anderson and USC Marshall were considered peers just a few years ago but now the gap has gotten much more noticeable. However, I don't think recruiters pay close attention to rankings like people do here because USC is still highly respected in SoCal. In my own recent experience, having USC on my resume has gotten me interviews at some of the most competitive and highly desirable firms that I would have no chance at otherwise (100% truth). I'd argue that many firms in SoCal view UCLA and USC to be the same level (from undergrad level to grad level), because I've gotten shortlisted for interviews that only UCLA Anderson, Caltech, and candidates from those type of schools were invited to. However, the reputation difference starts becoming much more noticeable outside of CA. UCLA Anderson is considered regional, but USC is even more so.

Third, if you're sure about living in Southern California for a long time and you're not bothered as much about rankings, USC is worth considering further. I'm still involved with USC even after graduation and I attended a casual luncheon on campus last week to meet new admits for the program that I graduated from. The lunch food was of extreme high quality (short rib steak, crab cake, fresh seafood, tons of different desserts, etc) and this is just an example of some of the benefits that you can get by graduating from USC and living in SoCal. I basically went to campus last week for free lunch :P. When I go back to campus for these type of events, people call me "as part of the family". I don't know many schools that actually say that to you face to face and make it feel that way. I know my undergrad school couldn't care less.

I live in Southern California and I'm very proud to be a graduate of USC here. There's certainly the network, the many benefits of living near the school after graduation, the "brand" it gives on my resume for SoCal company recruiters, etc. I don't know everyone's different situations but if you're interested in entertainment, F500, marketing, finance (even some of the elite SoCal finance firms), non-MBB consulting, and these type of fields in the L.A. area, I think USC could be a good choice.

I 2nd this opinion. I went to USC for undergrad business. When I graduated the MBA was top 20 and falling due to bad reviews from mba graduates. Undergrad is still top 10 if I'm correct. But, seriously everyone in LA is either an alumni, someone that knows an alumni, or a wannabe...lol...I hate to sound elitist. It's all how you work it...but I had no problem getting interviews and offers and that was in a down market. Now that I have experience, my degree is becoming less of a factor in obtaining positions.

UCLA or USC is held in the same regard, no matter the rankings. Everyone still thinks USC is top 20..lol... As far as USC being known nationally or internationally, I am not so sure. One thing for sure is that the business school is full of Asians who plan to return home to work. So, even if not now, USC is definitely building an alum connection abroad. And they will see the fruit of that labor through recognition down the line...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Marshall Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Marshall Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Marshall Forum for all fresh things related to the Marshall MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts