Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: NYU Stern (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Re: Stern PT Class of 2017 (Fall 2014 Matriculation) [#permalink]
I will be applying for the part-time program at NYU for the Autumn 2014 start! The deadline is coming up quickly, but it seems there's not much movement on this forum for the PT program (at least not yet).

For those applying, have you submitted your applications yet? What will you be using for your essay #3 submission?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I will be submitting a creative essay. Not a typical essay. It's more Q and A.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rontej0226 wrote:
I will be submitting a creative essay. Not a typical essay. It's more Q and A.

Nice! So is it something that provides supplemental information towards your application, or does it get really creative to the point where you had to include some type of description do draw the connection?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It just tells the story in a different format. Hopefully they like it. With my lower GMAT score (although still in the range), I wanted to stand out a bit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm still surprised that no one has initiated a large thread about the part time program application. I wonder if there are less applicants this year. The deadline is coming up.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rontej0226 wrote:
I'm still surprised that no one has initiated a large thread about the part time program application. I wonder if there are less applicants this year. The deadline is coming up.

There is actually a thread for "c/o 2017" applicant, but it appears to only be Spring applicants, and the thread died months ago when the Spring app deadline passed. Perhaps we can get the mods to update the title of this thread, but I think having multiples would be clutter.

Then again, if fewer people are applying, maybe this increases our chances! There have been ~250 views of this thread, so maybe the people looking are applicants and just not posting.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [1]
Given Kudos: 18860
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you Shoebunny!

I have created a new program for Fall 2014 matriculation and split off the Fall 2013 Matriculation (though we treated it as 2014 season) - all very confusing but hopefully clear now. Let me know if anything else needs to be updated and good luck everyone with applications!

PS (On one of the charts, it may say "Spring Matriculation" - give it 5-10 mins and it should update to be "Fall")
Thank you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for updating the thread, bb!!

For those of us applying, I hope you will update the tracker with your information and application status. Good luck to us all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I will also be applying for the Fall, though I'm not very confident about my chances. I am a typical candidate and I butchered my first attempt at the GMAT a couple weeks ago so kind of just taking a shot in the dark here. I'll be submitting an essay for essay 3 so lets see how it goes - still working on it. Good luck to everyone!

Originally posted by focus24 on 07 May 2014, 07:10.
Last edited by focus24 on 04 Sep 2014, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
focus24 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I will also be applying for the Fall, though I'm not very confident about my chances. I am a typical Indian IT candidate and I butchered my first attempt at the GMAT a couple weeks ago so kind of just taking a shot in the dark here. I'll be submitting an essay for essay 3 so lets see how it goes - still working on it. Good luck to everyone!

Hi Focus,

I don't think you're score is abysmal, as you seem to imply. Are you planning to take the test again? I think it will be equally as important to apply with some super strong essays, as it would be to increase your GMAT score. How much higher do you think you could honestly get it before the deadline? 20 points? 40? 50? They seem very gung-ho about the holistic approach. Maybe try strengthening the things you can impact right now, like your ECs and essays. As an applicant from an overrepresented pool, you're likely to stand out more with aspects other than a high GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ShoeBunny wrote:

Hi Focus,

I don't think you're score is abysmal, as you seem to imply. Are you planning to take the test again? I think it will be equally as important to apply with some super strong essays, as it would be to increase your GMAT score. How much higher do you think you could honestly get it before the deadline? 20 points? 40? 50? They seem very gung-ho about the holistic approach. Maybe try strengthening the things you can impact right now, like your ECs and essays. As an applicant from an overrepresented pool, you're likely to stand out more with aspects other than a high GMAT.

The problem was/is that I only took the test on 4/28. So the earliest that I can take it again is 5/29, which is after the May 15 deadline. I thought about maybe applying after May 15 during the rolling admissions so I can re-take GMATs and hopefully get a higher score, but I don' t think 30-40 points higher was going make the difference in whether I am accepted or not. So I figured I'll just roll the dice and apply by May 15 and if I don't get in then I'll re-take GMATs. And like you said I am going to try and focus on ECs in my essay 3. Hoping for the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
focus24 wrote:
ShoeBunny wrote:

Hi Focus,

The problem was/is that I only took the test on 4/28. So the earliest that I can take it again is 5/29, which is after the May 15 deadline. I thought about maybe applying after May 15 during the rolling admissions so I can re-take GMATs and hopefully get a higher score, but I don' t think 30-40 points higher was going make the difference in whether I am accepted or not. So I figured I'll just roll the dice and apply by May 15 and if I don't get in then I'll re-take GMATs. And like you said I am going to try and focus on ECs in my essay 3. Hoping for the best.

I do wish you luck, Focus. You could always submit your application on May 15 and include your retake date in the optional essay (if you decide to retake). I don't know the chances, but significant increase in 30 days while also finishing up your essays sounds like it could be tough. I'm sure you will work it out. Let us know how it goes! With only 8 days left to the soft deadline, relief is around the corner!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think 650 is a decent score. I scored 660. I'm just making sure my essays and all other paperwork stand out. It is also within their range. Lastly, the stern part time program has an acceptance rate of 64% last time I checked.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
rontej0226 wrote:
I think 650 is a decent score. I scored 660. I'm just making sure my essays and all other paperwork stand out. It is also within their range. Lastly, the stern part time program has an acceptance rate of 64% last time I checked.

Ah we have the same split of Q42 V38, but you got 10 points higher! Good for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
focus24 wrote:
rontej0226 wrote:

Ah we have the same split of Q42 V38, but you got 10 points higher! Good for you.

We also have a very similar GPA!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Would anyone recommend addressing my low GMAT score in Essay 4 or just leaving it alone? I don't really want to say that I am planning on taking it again because then they will not fully review my application till that new score is received, after the May 15 deadline. Some of the admissions consultants in the other forums are making comments like "I simply don't think you are competitive with that GMAT score" which is really freaking me out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
focus24 wrote:
Would anyone recommend addressing my low GMAT score in Essay 4 or just leaving it alone? I don't really want to say that I am planning on taking it again because then they will not fully review my application till that new score is received, after the May 15 deadline. Some of the admissions consultants in the other forums are making comments like "I simply don't think you are competitive with that GMAT score" which is really freaking me out.

Hi Focus,

I feel as though my quant score was relatively low, compared to what I believe their average is. I addressed it in essay 4 by discussing the quantitative work I do at my job on a regular basis. Perhaps address the things you do involving numbers at work? If you're working in a quantitative environment, it ought to highlight your real world competency. If you'd want to address the verbal score, maybe mention the fact that you interact with various people, have to communicate difficult messages via email, conversations, etc. You can explain your competency as it relates to real life instances, regardless of your score on the test.

It is up to you. I honestly do not think your score is so low that it warrants calling it out, but it is ultimately your decision. The AdCom mentions that they like "self-awareness," so if you believe the score hurts your application, use the opportunity to highlight that self-awareness and tell them why your score does not reflect who you are!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts