Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [14]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink]
Hi mhkhalil,

This may be a bit outdated, but you can use this to start your research on consultants:
price-comparison-of-mba-consultants-and-links-to-their-sites-161420.html#p1277062
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
That is exactly what i needed... Thanks alot Farful..

Are you done with the consultation process? Do u mind sharing with us what was your final pick?

I'm planning to apply for R1 fall 2015, I thought I should start with the whole application process as soon as possible so I don't rush it in the last few weeks, dunno if it's too early...

I'm trying to convince myself that around 5000$ is worth it... Still not sure..

I'll be reading this thread (the pre-2014 one) to help me decide...

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [11]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have many thoughts regarding consultants. I had planned to write a review of the one I used after I figured out where I would matriculate, but it seems that might be awhile due to waitlists and such.

I should give a little background first. I knew very little about the business world and did not know anyone in it. I never even heard of the GMAT a year ago. I was looking for a career change and knew I wanted to attend a professional school of some sort. I was actually studying for the MCAT when I came across the GMAT, and despite the hundreds of hours I put into studying for the MCAT, I somehow ended up taking the GMAT instead.

After the GMAT, I convinced myself I needed to hire a consultant, mainly to have access to someone who has knowledge of the business world (and the app process!) and to help guide me though my goals and possibly explain to me the different career paths that are available with an MBA. I didn't think I needed help with my essay writing and editing - I have more than enough friends who could help me with that.

I decided an all-inclusive school package worth $3000+ was out of the question. That's almost two months of my offspring's daycare tuition! (Yes yes, I pay way too much for daycare). I really only needed something simple that would help me plan my MBA application strategy and goals. Maybe they could help with my school selection and resume as well.

I looked into a lot of à la carte services and 'basic' packages (think Amerasia's essay with resume service, MBA Admit's basic service, MBA Prep School's application strategy, etc). I used a dozen of those 'free 30 min consultations' and ended up picking from there.

One thing I learned from my dozen free consultations is that no one really had any good idea of how competitive of an applicant I was. Maybe it's because of the lack of information they have for their free consultation, but I had gotten a huge range of responses from "You have a shot at HBS" to "You should be looking at schools such as Babson or Thunderbird". I also found that many tend to be ageists and suggested I only look at EMBA or part-time programs. Also, I'm not sure why, but only one (Darren from touchmba.com, whom I contacted after already picking a consultant) suggested I look at schools with a healthcare element, which should have been blindingly obvious to both me and other consultants. I'm really grateful he was there to point out the obvious to me.

In any case, I used consulting services for my Yale application. I chose Yale because I thought I had a decent chance of getting in and logistically, it would have made the most sense to attend Yale. I was dinged without an interview.

Specifically, we spent a lot of time on my goals. After re-reading them recently, I'm certain that one reason for my failure this application cycle is due to my weak goals. Still, they are a lot better than it would have been had I not received help from my consultant. My resume was gibberish, and again, it's better now with some help, but I still don't think I got my money's worth for it. I asked for help in explanation of different career paths with industry/functions, but they did very little to help in that regard. Maybe it's not part of the package or it's not really explainable in any short concise way. Their essay service however, was better than I expected. I really didn't think I needed help with it, but my essays were certainly better because of them.

I have reasons to believe any consulting services will be more or less the same. I'm not convinced any one is better than another, and even current students or applicants who have gone through the cycle can offer tremendous feedback. I certainly have learned a lot and if I choose to be a re-applicant, I am sure I will have much greater success.

For my personal situation, I still have mixed thoughts. The consultant certainly did help and I would have been way worse off without the assistance. On hindsight however, I feel like I could have done other things instead that would have been much more useful.

For example, one of the most useful things I've done (unfortunately, after submitting my apps) is be active on the gmatclub chat. The first day there I listened to someone in the energy sector and another person who worked for Accenture and learned more about what it is that they do and understand more about the everyday activities of a consultant. Yesterday, I learned even more about what entrepreneurship entails and about the biofuel industry and its associated problems and opportunities. I find that listening to other people's jobs and goals have helped me tremendously.

Sorry for my long-winded response. If money isn't an issue, certainly go for it - it can't hurt! And if budget is tight, consider basic or à la carte services on exactly what you might need help with. Whether or not to hire a consultant I feel is very dependent on what you need and what you're looking for. Nevertheless, do take advantage of the many free consultations throughout the process (even after you hire one, if you choose to do so) and know that there are a lot of resources here on this forum alone (albeit, difficult to find)!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
I didn't use a consultant and I really don't think they are necessary. Most of their advice and suggestions are readily available online. If you have friends who got into a top mba program, you can just ask them to read your essays/resumes/short-term goals. There's a lot of consultants around, and honestly I feel like I could give out better advice than most of them give out here or elsewhere. I've seen applications from people who used consultant services, and they didn't seem better than mine. Really the only advantage of a consultant is that is causes you to keep refining your essays and resume - but you should be doing that regardless if you use a consultant or not.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2006 [11]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I hired The MBA Exchange a couple of years ago for my MBA applications. I had not-so-good experience. I think they failed me miserably on many counts -

1. They paired me with a part time consultant. There was no promised turn around time for his reply. Sometimes, he would reply in 2 days while other times he would take 4-5 days. He also missed his skype call once. I thought that was totally unprofessional. It was not surprising that I had to miss the first round deadlines for all schools. You can imagine how involved he was from the fact that he finalized one essay which exceeded the word count by almost 100 words. When I pointed this out, he simply said it did not matter.

2. There was absolutely no strategy involved in school selection. I just ended up selecting schools which I had heard or researched on forums and websites such as Poets&Quants, USnews etc. They had no school-specific knowledge.

3. There was no proper/honest assessment of my profile. I think, they did not match me to the right schools so as to maximize my chances of being admitted. With 700+ on GMAT and 8 years of experience at managerial level, I thought I had a good shot at top-20 schools. And if I did not have a good chance at a particular school, I thought it was their duty to tell me that. I could have spent my time and energies on the schools where my chances of success were the highest.

4. The Result: I applied to 4 schools with them. However, I was rejected by all the schools I'd applied with them.

It was definitely not worth about $6500 I paid for 4 applications.

Originally posted by NoHalfMeasures on 04 Apr 2014, 23:47.
Last edited by NoHalfMeasures on 06 Apr 2014, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello All - First of all, my thanks to bb, moderators and zillion contributors!!! This remains THE place for advise and preparation to enter B-School and beyond!

I am back on this forum after a gap of exactly 3 years (while I was preparing for GMAT). I prefer to choose different name now as I will be sending out my applications to schools this year.

I plan to apply to IMD and would like to know which admissions firms have the best credibility for IMD. I searched the forum and found quite some reviews for companies with good success rate for INSEAD, HBS, Columbia etc. but I could not find much with regards to reviews from IMD admits for firms they tried or used.

Appreciate any guidance that you guys might have. I have some initial consultations scheduled and will also PM some IMD admits. Many thanks in advance!

Rgds,
T.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I've been reading this forum for a while now and wondering if admission consultants are really what they are made out to be.

Generally speaking, how legit are the rankings for the mba consultants listed on gmat? Most of the people giving the ratings are either anon or haven't made even 1 post on here - how exactly can we as prospective students determine if they are actually what they say they are.

Also, do mba consultants really make that much of a difference?

I'd really like to know what non-admission consultants think, since it's actually quite a big investment per school.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jadax wrote:
I've been reading this forum for a while now and wondering if admission consultants are really what they are made out to be.

Generally speaking, how legit are the rankings for the mba consultants listed on gmat? Most of the people giving the ratings are either anon or haven't made even 1 post on here - how exactly can we as prospective students determine if they are actually what they say they are.

Also, do mba consultants really make that much of a difference?

I'd really like to know what non-admission consultants think, since it's actually quite a big investment per school.

Discussions merged - you may also find answers in this discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

Post removed due to failing to meet 30-post requirement above.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos