Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Booth vs Kellogg

59% [13]
40% [9]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: Booth vs Kellogg [#permalink]
Kudos
If I had gotten into Booth, I was going to personally choose Kellogg over Booth (I wrote about it a bit in my "Share your application experience" thread before I got the Booth reject). I too want to switch into Management Consulting.

The reason I felt this way was for two main reasons: I wanted a close-knit student community, and I wanted a collaborative environment away from finance people. I went to Stern for undergrad, which had both not a strong community (people lived spread out throughout NYC) and a cut-throat finance experience, and contained people with poor social skills...I really didn't want to repeat that experience.

People have posted the Booth community has improved the last few years, and people are very supportive nowadays, but honestly I wasn't going to risk it. I've worked in investment banks for 5 years, and I know what those type of people are like (in general), and I don't want to be around those type of people anymore.

For you personally, I'd visit both schools, it really comes down to what type of culture and environment you want. There's plenty of things in Booth's favor...newer building, marginally higher rank, flexible curriculum, urban instead of suburban environment, etc There's no obvious right choice here - they are peer schools and both place great in MC - so it's just going to have to come down to your subjective feelings.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Speak to as many students, alums and attend the respective admit weekends if possible. Kellogg and Booth have very different personalities and you should look for fit rather than rankings or placement stats because frankly, there is very little between them on both fronts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I have a similar dilemma, though i am going part-time. I got an admit from Kellogg just before i hit submit for my Booth app. Now, I am not sure if i should even apply to Booth.

I am in consulting and want to continue to work in consulting (might look to change companies). Kellogg does seem to place a lot more students in consulting than Booth. So seems like Kellogg is a slightly better choice as far as Consulting is concerned.

That said, i agree Booth that has moved ahead of Kellogg in every ranking. Are the rankings a cause of concern or am i over thinking this?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
ddigwal wrote:
I have a similar dilemma, though i am going part-time. I got an admit from Kellogg just before i hit submit for my Booth app. Now, I am not sure if i should even apply to Booth.

I am in consulting and want to continue to work in consulting (might look to change companies). Kellogg does seem to place a lot more students in consulting than Booth. So seems like Kellogg is a slightly better choice as far as Consulting is concerned.

That said, i agree Booth that has moved ahead of Kellogg in every ranking. Are the rankings a cause of concern or am i over thinking this?

I'm biased of course, but I think you're over thinking. Kellogg is a top 5 school with the best career services in the business. They're still peer schools, even though Booth is marginally up in the rankings this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mgh234 wrote:
ddigwal wrote:

I'm biased of course, but I think you're over thinking. Kellogg is a top 5 school with the best career services in the business. They're still peer schools, even though Booth is marginally up in the rankings this year.

Thanks mgh234- I thought i was over thinking this too.. Just wanted a prospective from someone else. Its definitely a tough choice. I think it comes down to fit and post-MBA goals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Although Kellogg currently has a small advantage in consulting placement, Booth has improved and surpassed Kellogg in rankings (for the past 6-7 years). This may have an effect on placement numbers on subsequent years, so in the long-term, although both schools will have solid placement numbers in consulting, I feel that Booth will have better ones.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmat245 wrote:
Although Kellogg currently has a small advantage in consulting placement, Booth has improved and surpassed Kellogg in rankings (for the past 6-7 years). This may have an effect on placement numbers on subsequent years, so in the long-term, although both schools will have solid placement numbers in consulting, I feel that Booth will have better ones.

I agree with your assessment, but the Kellogg places almost 40% of its class in consulting. I don't foresee this changing in coming years. Booth places less number of student in consulting because lot of its student opt for finance related jobs.

That said, Booth's rise in ranking in last 6-7 years is commendable. It's difficult to say what will happen in 2-3 years, but i expect both schools to still be in Top 5.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I would go to Booth. Booth places great in consulting and has less competition for these jobs (many people want to go to finance related jobs). Kellogg on the other hand, places a few more people in consulting, but the competition is much tougher.

I think Booth is the way to go!
Director
Director
Send PM
hbsgeek wrote:
I would go to Booth. Booth places great in consulting and has less competition for these jobs (many people want to go to finance related jobs). Kellogg on the other hand, places a few more people in consulting, but the competition is much tougher.

I disagree that competition is "much tougher." Kellogg is huge in marketing/CPG/etc, and a ton of people go into that, just like a ton of people go into finance at Booth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hbsgeek wrote:

I would disagree with that point as well. MBB hire more at Kellogg due to higher interpersonal skills of its students. Easy to put in front of clients... I don't think it has anything to competition. Higher alumni in consulting further help hire more at Kellogg.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
hbsgeek wrote:

I agree with you. I think the competition at Booth will be lower. If you are a career switcher with no previous experience in consulting, I think Booth will be a better option because you will have less competition and a slightly better chance of getting the job you want.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
The competition point is silly. To get through resume screening and first-rounds, you just need to be above a certain bar. For final rounds, yes you are competing, but at that point you are competing with everyone who is applying for that specific office, not your classmates.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
mbaapp25 wrote:
hbsgeek wrote:

I agree with you. I think the competition at Booth will be lower. If you are a career switcher with no previous experience in consulting, I think Booth will be a better option because you will have less competition and a slightly better chance of getting the job you want.

I would be highly suspicious of a user with only 3 posts and all saying Booth is awesome.

I don't buy that there is less competition at all. Frankly if you can get into a top-tier MC firm at Booth, you most likely would be able to at Kellogg too. Both are core schools for MC firms.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Poet and Quants did an indepth comparison of Booth and Kellogg a few years ago:

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/07/02/ch ... gg-school/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
Poet and Quants did an indepth comparison of Booth and Kellogg a few years ago:

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/07/02/ch ... gg-school/

I remember reading this article sometime back. Kellogg seem to be slightly better for strategy/general management.

I am going part-time, so OCR probably won't be a factor for me. On the other hand, alumni strength in MC would benefit highly when i look to change jobs.
Director
Director
Send PM
All,

gmat245, undecided2343 (creator of this topic), hbsgeek, and mbaapp25 have posted by the same IP and are duplicate accounts of the same person. So it looks he made this thread, then made alternative accounts to push "booth".... really weird.

I've raised it to the other admins how they want to handle it (aside from banning him and his IP's). Presumably these topics will be deleted, but want to give everyone a chance to read what happened before then.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Haha.. That's so weird.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator: