Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [56]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [12]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [9]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [3]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If Shero wins the election, McGuinness will be appointed head of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
JusTLucK04 wrote:
If Shero wins the election, McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission. But Stauning is more qualified to head it since he is an architect who has been on the planning commission for 15 years. Unless the polls are grossly inaccurate, Shero will win.
Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the information
above?
(A) If the polls are grossly inaccurate, someone more qualified than McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission.
(B) McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission only if the polls are a good indication of how the election will turn out.
(C) Either Shero will win the election or Stauning will be appointed head of the planning commission.
(D) McGuinness is not an architect and has not been on the planning commission for 15 years or more.
(E) If the polls are a good indication of how the election will turn out, someone less qualified than Stauning will be appointed head of the planning commission.

OE to follow...Kindly Press Kudos if you like this question

This is like LSAT questions. If you know LSAT logic games, then you can do it in half a min.

1. If Shero Wins -> McGuinness (MG) appointed (if logic)
2. If Shere does not win -> Polls are inaccurate (unless logic)
3. Stauning(ST) is more qualified than MG

(A) If the polls are grossly inaccurate, someone more qualified than McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission.
Straight Out: If A then B cannot conclude if B then A. Since we don't have inaccurate pole result on If side of premises. (Affirming Conclusion Fallacy)

(B) McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission only if the polls are a good indication of how the election will turn out.
Flag the 'only if' . We don't know if MG could be appointed if anyone else wins.

(C) Either Shero will win the election or Stauning will be appointed head of the planning commission.
If shero does not win, then we cannot infer MG is not appointed (Denying the premise fallacy)

(D) McGuinness is not an architect and has not been on the planning commission for 15 years or more.
We have been told about qualification of MG, we only know he is less qualified than ST. MG could be an architect with 14 years of exp.

(E) If the polls are a good indication of how the election will turn out, someone less qualified than Stauning will be appointed head of the planning commission.
Correct. Contra positive of condition 2. If polls are accurate, shero will win. From condition 1. If Shero wins, MG will be appointed. from 3, MG is less qualified that ST.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
If Shero wins the election, McGuinness will be appointed head of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
This is a variation on the "logic reversal" sort of structure -- and it's particularly common on the LSAT.

Suppose that this is true:

• Fact #1: If X occurs, then Y will occur.

That doesn't necessarily mean that this will be true:

• If X does NOT occur, then Y will NOT occur.

Based on Fact #1, we know what will happen if X does occur -- but we have no information about what will happen if X does NOT occur.

Here, have a silly example:

• Fact: If Mike eats a puffer fish while surfing, he will get sick.
  • "Reversed" fact: If Mike does NOT eat a puffer fish while surfing, he will NOT get sick. --> this may or may not be true; perhaps Mike will get sick from something else

Now, this Veritas question isn't phrased in quite the same way, but the logical trap in (B) is similar:

Quote:
If Shero wins the election, McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission... Unless the polls are grossly inaccurate, Shero will win.

And here's (B) again:

Quote:

Yes, it's true that "if the polls are a good indication of how the election will turn out", McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission. But the key here is the "only if." Based on the passage, we don't know what would happen if the polls are NOT accurate. Presumably, Shero wouldn't win. But who would be appointed the head of the planning commission? We have no idea. It's possible that McGuinness (mmm... Guinness) would still be appointed -- and that's why B is wrong.

I hope this helps!
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: If Shero wins the election, McGuinness will be appointed head of the [#permalink]
Hi Experts,
I am having a tough time implementing necessary vs sufficient conditions to actual OG Qs:
My basics:
sufficient will lead to necessary but necessary may not always result in sufficient condition to occur.
negating necessary will result in sufficient condition not have occurred
Also usual structure is as below:
If (sufficient condition), then (necessary condition)
Unless (necessary condition) sufficient condition follows.

Based on this let me present argument understanding and my inferences:
First line:
Sufficient (S wins the election) -> Necessary (MG will be appointed as head)
My inference:
(Negating necessary) MG will not be appointed as head -> (negating sufficient) will result in loss of election for S

Unless ... can be paraphrased as S will win only if polls are inaccurate.
My inference:
If Shero will win -> polls are grossly inaccurate.

Let me know of my inferences are correct?
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
[quote But Stauning is more qualified to head it since he is an architect who has been on the planning commission for 15 years. {If X(Architect and on PC for 15 years), then Y(More Qualified)} => ~Y(Not More Qualified) --> ~X (Not of (architect and on PC for 15 years)) -- (2)

Unless the polls are grossly inaccurate, Shero will win. { P(Win), Unless M(Polls inaccurate) } => ~M (Polls accurate) --> P(Win) --(3)

.[/quote]

Hi Abhimahna,

Are propositional and conditional logic same? Since I am using powerscore I want to make sure you and me are on same page.
Furthermore, symbol ~ means negation, correct ? if A ->B is valid (where A is sufficient and B is necessary condition)
then only negated B -> negated A is valid inference.

Can you explain why did you change statement starting with But S is more ... to conditional logic?

My interpretation of unless is different, let me know if I am incorrect:

Unless (necessary statement), sufficient statement follows. which translates in our case to if polls are inaccurate (negated necessary condition) - > S will not win
we negate and change order of necessary and sufficient conditions to make valid inference.

Let me know my gaps in understanding. 8-)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi Abhimahna,

Are propositional and conditional logic same? Since I am using powerscore I want to make sure you and me are on same page.
Furthermore, symbol ~ means negation, correct ? if A ->B is valid (where A is sufficient and B is necessary condition)
then only negated B -> negated A is valid inference.

Can you explain why did you change statement starting with But S is more ... to conditional logic?

My interpretation of unless is different, let me know if I am incorrect:

Unless (necessary statement), sufficient statement follows. which translates in our case to if polls are inaccurate (negated necessary condition) - > S will not win
we negate and change order of necessary and sufficient conditions to make valid inference.

Let me know my gaps in understanding. 8-)

Here are the answers :

A proposition of the form “if p then q” or “p implies q”, represented “p → q” is called a conditional proposition. I used the generic term that is used for other cases also.

Yes, symbol ~ means negation.

I found that statement of the propositional logic form, so I did that. You never know when I need that in my Options. This is how I decode my question before attacking the options.

I am not sure of your Unless interpretation. According to me, Q, unless P means ~P ->Q.

I hope that makes sense.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
And if anybody wants even more on necessary vs. sufficient conditions, here's a nice thread on the topic: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-sufficient ... 50740.html.

It's a common issue, so we'll also work on a Topic of the Week on this.

And nice work, abhimahna!
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
And if anybody wants even more on necessary vs. sufficient conditions, here's a nice thread on the topic: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-sufficient ... 50740.html.

It's a common issue, so we'll also work on a Topic of the Week on this.

And nice work, abhimahna!

Hi Gmatninja,

Is my interpretation of unless correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi Gmatninja,

Is my interpretation of unless correct?

I assume that you're referring to your earlier comments:
Quote:

I'd be careful here because even if the polls are inaccurate, that does not necessarily mean that S will not win. If the polls are accurate, S will definitely win. If the polls are grossly inaccurate, we don't know if S will win. Even if the polls are grossly inaccurate, S could still win.

In other words, that the polls are not grossly inaccurate is a necessary condition.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
OFFICIAL SOLUTION
Correct answer is (E).

This question provides an excellent illustration of the “must be true” inference standard. While the facts do show that Shero, if elected, will appoint a less-qualified planning commissioner, McGuinness, there is nothing explicit that says that Stauning would even be considered under any other regime. You may think that Shero is the only person who would appoint McGuinness, but there is nothing explicit that says that anyone else would even be considered. The only thing we know here is that a Shero win means that McGuinness, a lesser qualified planning commissioner than Stauning, will be appointed. So while choices like A (if Shero loses, a better commissioner will be appointed) and B (Shero is McGuinness’s only hope to get the job) may seem probable, they are not necessarily true.

On a question like this, you can eliminate incorrect answer choices by proposing hypotheticals that are consistent with the facts but undermine the answer choice. To eliminate A, B, and C here the hypothetical “for some reason, anyone who wins will select McGuinness” undercuts all of those answer choices. Only E is necessarily true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
GMATNinja: Why is "D" wrong?

The reasoning given for Stauning to be more qualified than McGuinness is that Stauning is an architect, who has been on the planning commission for 15 years.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HarshitJuneja wrote:
GMATNinja: Why is "D" wrong?

The reasoning given for Stauning to be more qualified than McGuinness is that Stauning is an architect, who has been on the planning commission for 15 years.

Remember, the question asks: Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the information above?

Here's the information provided:

Quote:
If Shero wins the election, McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission. But Stauning is more qualified to head it since he is an architect who has been on the planning commission for 15 years. Unless the polls are grossly inaccurate, Shero will win.

And here's choice (D) again:

Quote:

We can only choose (D) if we're able to infer that:

• McGuinness is not an architect, AND
  • McGuinness has not been on the planning commission for 15 years or more.

The problem here is that we have absolutely no information about McGuinness. We definitely don't have the information to infer either, let alone both, of these specific statements.

• What if McGuinness is an architect, but has never been on the planning commission?
  • What if McGuinness is not an architect, but has been on the planning commission for 20 years?
  • What if McGuinness is an architect, but has been on the planning commission for 13 years?

None of these scenarios would contradict the author's statement about Stauning's qualifications. But without more explicit information from the author about McGuinness, we cannot infer that McGuiness is not an architect and has not been on the planning commission for 15 years or more. That's why we eliminate (D).

I hope this helps!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1812 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the information above?

(A) If the polls are grossly inaccurate, someone more qualified than McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission. - WRONG. Not the set discussed in the passage. Not inferable thus.

(B) McGuinness will be appointed head of the planning commission only if the polls are a good indication of how the election will turn out. - WRONG. "Only if" creates a limitation that is not fully justifiable since there can be other factors leading to his appointment.

(C) Either Shero will win the election or Stauning will be appointed head of the planning commission. - WRONG. No corelation as such between the two.

(D) McGuinness is not an architect and has not been on the planning commission for 15 years or more. - WRONG. The two red text are wrong because we can't for sure say this.

(E) If the polls are a good indication of how the election will turn out, someone less qualified than Stauning will be appointed head of the planning commission. - CORRECT. May be McGuinness or someone else will be appointed who definitely would be less qualified than Stauning.

Answer E.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts