Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Beyond Tuck: Dartmouth Athletics and Fanis Tigkas

About the Series: Tuck offers students a diverse and unique experience, both in and outside of the classroom. While people may consider Hanover, New Hampshire a small town with limited opportunities to pursue one's interest, Tuck’s close relationship with the rest of the Dartmouth community and Upper Valley actually enables opportunities that may not be available elsewhere. One such example is through intercollegiate athletics where a number of Tuckies are currently participating as players and coaches in sports such as rowing, baseball, water polo, and softball. Fanis, Felix, and Carolyn share their perspective including lessons in time management, leadership, and community.

Fanis and Water Polo at Dartmouth

Fanis Tigkas T'15, grew up in Athens, Greece and worked in the shipping industry after graduating from the University of Piraeus with a finance degree. Over the summer, he will be working in the industrials group within Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s investment banking division. He was named New England All-Conference First Team for men’s water polo in the fall as a player and led the women’s water polo team to a conference championship and Nationals in the spring as a coach.

How and why did you get involved with athletics while at Tuck?

Water polo has been a big part of my life – I started in elementary school and have played ever since including stints as a player for a professional club in Greece. By chance, while chatting with a classmate during Tuck orientation, I learned that Dartmouth had a water polo team. I found their contact and called the coach to join the team. After a great season with the men’s team (New England champions and 4th in the National tournament), I was asked by the women’s team to become their coach. It appealed to me since I love the sport and had never coached before. Also, as I learned in Tuck’s classes and through my study group experience, mentoring and coaching are activities that I am passionate about and this gave me the opportunity to practice those skills.

How has this affected your Tuck experience?

Being involved in athletics has allowed me to be more plugged in with the broader Dartmouth community and meet people from various schools and programs. It has also allowed me to develop a new interest in coaching, and I’ve used the opportunity to practice and elicit feedback on my leadership abilities. I enjoyed the experience very much and didn’t mind at all the extra hours needed - the only drawback was having less time to get everything done, especially during busy class and recruiting periods at Tuck. It also meant I had to walk to the pool when my brain and heart strongly advised against it (like snowstorms and temperatures of negative 20 F) but sometimes it was good to just take a break from work and get outside.

What is it about Tuck that’s enabled the experience?

The supportive environment within Tuck has definitely been the biggest factor. We are all fortunate to have classmates that are really supportive in whatever each of us does. Whether that is devoting time to recruiting, coaching a team or simply class work, everyone here is bound to help any way they can. This is particularly underlined in the context of study groups: priorities and time commitments are respected and people are happy to cooperate and be flexible in order to help everyone keep up with his or her interests.

What was your favorite part of the of first-year experience?

I greatly enjoyed getting to know the men and women water polo teams and winning both championships! Also, from the perspective of an international student, it was very important to come here in the fall and see how committed and engaged the entire Tuck community was to helping each other and how much time and effort everyone dedicated to making the school better. Lastly, I was impressed by how welcoming everyone here was and how soon and easily I felt at home in Hanover – a place really different from Greece.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hello everyone! This forum was a great resource last year, and I'm happy to pay it forward. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Watch the Class of 2014 Investiture Ceremony Live
Each student arrives at Tuck with expectations, goals and dreams that are unique to them. During their two years, they experienced challenges, discovered new opportunities, and immersed themselves in a community that supported their transformation along the way. Experience the pinnacle of our student's two years at Tuck by watching a live streaming video feed of the class of 2014 Investiture Ceremony. The event will begin at 2:30 PM EST on Saturday, June 7.

Who knows, maybe you'll be part of a future Tuck Investiture ceremony!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hey guys. Do you know what percentage of students received scholarships? What is the average scholarship amount? What is the average savings people come in with before business school? Are you expected to have paid off your undergraduate student loans prior to enrolling?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Leaving The Classroom Behind: Hands-on Learning In The Energy Sector

Pete Oveson, who is a T'15 from Salt Lake City, UT, shares his expereince visting TransCanada, Enbridge, and the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP). After graduating with bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Utah State University in civil engineering, Pete headed to Portland, OR to work as a water infrastructure design engineer and project manager. After five years working in water engineering, Pete decided to come to Tuck to make a career transition into the business side of the energy industry. Outside of the classroom, Pete enjoys spending his time snow skiing and rock climbing with his wife, Sandy. He is interning at McKinsey’s Houston office this summer. After Tuck, Pete would like to continue to work in consulting, focusing on energy-related clients.

It has been a great year to be part of the Dartmouth Energy Collaborative and Revers Energy Initiative! One of the most exciting things that we were able to participate in was a trip to Alberta, Canada this past May to visit several energy companies. We had an amazing group that included a mix of first and second year students as well as Professor Joe Hall. The trip was sponsored by the Revers Energy Initiative and the Canadian Consulate, so we were able to get VIP tours of some of the most high-profile energy companies in Canada.

We spent the first day of the trip in Calgary visiting TransCanada, Enbridge, and the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP). Both TransCanada and Enbridge are pipeline companies that specialize in transporting oil and natural gas from Alberta to the rest of North America. We were all amazed to see how much these companies are growing as a result of the recent boom in Oil Sands production - both companies have current capital programs of nearly $40B!

At TransCanada, we were able to see their pipeline control center. This “war room” is a centralized location where the company can remotely monitor and control its pipeline operations across North America. It was inspiring to see how the company is leveraging technology to make its pipelines safer and more efficient. Our discussions at TransCanada, Enbridge, and CAPP were dominated by two high-profile pipelines that are in regulatory limbo, the Keystone XL Pipeline (TransCanada), which will increase oil transportation from the Oil Sands to the Gulf Coast, and the Northern Gateway Pipeline (Enbridge), which will feed an oil export terminal on the west coast of British Columbia. Both of these projects are good case studies on the importance of securing a social license to operate. It is very interesting to hear about the stakeholder outreach that each company is now conducting to get these projects back on track.

We spent the last two days in Fort McMurray visiting Syncrude, Alberta government officials, and the Wood Buffalo Environmental Association (WBEA). Fort McMurray is the launching pad for most of the Alberta Oil Sands production and it feels like the “wild west.” Several years of high oil prices have created a boom in Oil Sands production and population growth. We were blown away that the average annual salary and home price in Fort McMurray have risen to CAD $175,000 and CAD $700,000 as a result of the boom.

Most of us felt that the highlight of our time in Fort McMurray (if not the whole trip) was visiting the Syncrude open pit mine. The scale of this operation is impressive! It was great to be able to learn firsthand about how the oil sand, which looks and feels a lot like asphalt, is mined and eventually processed into oil that can then be transported via pipeline to refineries across North America. To give you an idea of the scale, Syncrude alone produces 350,000 barrels of oil per day or roughly 9% of Canada’s current oil production. While in Fort McMurray, we spent a lot of time discussing the environmental impact of oil sand production, which has been a hot topic among environmentalists. One reason why oil sand production is sometimes seen as worse for the environment than traditional oil production is that the raw oil sand requires more processing than traditional oil (oil sand is processed with hot water to separate the oil from the sand). Although there is a lot of debate about the environmental impacts from oil sands production, we all felt that oil sands producers are making environmental impact a top priority and are making great strides to decrease their overall impact.  

Thanks to Mike Radu for all the great pictures!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello Everyone!
My first post here. Excited to be a part of the forum.

I am in a very early phase right now. Just beginning to prepare for the GMAT, planning to take the test in October. Looking at R2 applications.

Tuck is something that is getting me extremely excited. From all I am hearing, it is a closely knit community that places more value on your story than your "statistics".

Will someone be willing to communicate directly and answer few questions for me? Please do let me know.

Looking forward to going through the process with everyone here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
Hello Everyone!
My first post here. Excited to be a part of the forum.

I am in a very early phase right now. Just beginning to prepare for the GMAT, planning to take the test in October. Looking at R2 applications.

Tuck is something that is getting me extremely excited. From all I am hearing, it is a closely knit community that places more value on your story than your "statistics".

Will someone be willing to communicate directly and answer few questions for me? Please do let me know.

Looking forward to going through the process with everyone here.

Hey yeah... I applied last year and was waitlisted. Not sure if I can help you, but I visited Tuck twice last year, and I have a lot of info on my blog as well.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck GIVES Internships: Milking Goats and Analyzing Operations

The Center for Business & Society works with students to develop an individualized program of academics, extra-curricular activities and work-experiences that fit their needs to enhance their perspective, deepen experiences, and create impact. Whether it's an interest in the ethical issues in business, environmental sustainability, or social change in the public sector, there are courses, student-led clubs, travel programs, consulting projects, conferences, and subsidized work experiences to prepare you for the impact they will create.

Working in close partnership with the Tuck Career Development Office, the Center for Business & Society supports students interested in careers with a social and environmental focus. Students can gain experience, whether they wish to secure a position in a socially responsible company, work for a foundation, or apply business knowledge to the public or nonprofit sectors. They are also provided funding through Tuck GIVES, a community wide fundraiser that has supported 135 interns to work in 74 different organizations around the world.  Check out recent internships in social impact, education, and environment as well as other Center initiatives on their blog

One such internship stemmed from a T'15's desire to transition from a career in pharmaceutical operations to one in agricultural operations.  Today, Divya is realizing that dream through her summer Ayers Brook Goat Dairy. The Dairy, a public-private partnership between the Vermont Creamery and the Castanea Foundation, aims to build an economically and environmentally sustainable operation that can eventually serve as a prototype and catalyst to develop a vibrant goat dairy industry in New England.  She found the internship through a meeting arranged by Tuck's Center for Business & Society with Jay Coen Gilbert, founder of B-Labs.

Read more about how Divya will help Ayers Brook Goat Dairy track and analyze their operating costs to build an understanding around the unit economics of raising a dairy goat over its lifetime.  
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Beyond Tuck: Dartmouth Athletics and Felix Zhang

About the Series: Tuck offers students a diverse and unique experience, both in and outside of the classroom. While people may consider Hanover, New Hampshire a small town with limited opportunities to pursue one's interest, Tuck’s close relationship with the rest of the Dartmouth community and Upper Valley actually enables opportunities that may not be available elsewhere. One such example is through intercollegiate athletics where a number of Tuckies are currently participating as players and coaches in sports such as rowing, baseball, water polo, and softball. Fanis, Felix, and Carolyn share their perspective including lessons in time management, leadership, and community.

Felix Zhang, T’15 grew up in New York City. After graduating from NYU with a finance degree, he worked as an analyst for Kraft Foods and Steve Madden. This summer, he will be a brand management intern in Chicago for Kraft Foods where he will market the magic of coffee beans. He is a volunteer assistant with the Dartmouth softball team which garnered its first Ivy League Championship and participated in the NCAA Regionals this past season.

Prior to Tuck, I helped build a youth sports program for girls and coached softball for a number of years. I knew I wanted to continue those interests post-graduation and therefore planned to use part of my time at business school to learn to become a better coach and leader of an organization. Luckily, I was connected to the Dartmouth staff via some of the families I worked with and found a role that fit both the needs of the team and myself. I’ve had a fabulous experience, particularly learning about various ways to motivate a team and develop a winning culture, material that interestingly parallels some of the leadership curriculum at Tuck.

I’ve been able to travel a lot more than I would otherwise including a spring trip to beautiful Southern California. Working with the team has also shed new light into the sports realm and given me several entrepreneurship ideas to work on during my 2nd year. The downside is that I have to be extra diligent about my schedule with classes, meetings, and getting things done to fit all the practices and trips. Lastly, it is challenging at times to deal with FOMO (fear of missing out) and having to choose which events I have to miss.

Being in Hanover offers less distractions and makes it easier to focus on these activities. Elsewhere, it would have been much easier to stay within my comfort zone versus challenging myself to pursue my interest at a higher level. Additionally Tuck gives us freedom to tailor our business school experience, inside and outside the classroom. The Tuck culture is extremely understanding of everyone’s diverse interests and priorities, including mine.

What was your favorite part of the of 1st year experience?

It was awesome getting to know all the individuals at Tuck in both the 1st and 2nd year class. I also enjoyed all the outdoor activities that we can do such as hiking, canoeing/kayaking, and overnight cabin trips. Winning an Ivy League championship and going to the NCAA regionals was quite amazing as well!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Does anyone know if Tuck is adopting the common recommendation form that Harvard, Kellogg, Wharton, etc are adopting?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Hey future Tuckies

Jus wanted to let you know Tuck are hosting events all around the world over summer and beyond. Check whether they are coming to a city near you https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/connect-with-us/attend-an-event

It's a great opportunity to meet with admissions / current students / alums and learn more about Tuck. You may even making a lasting impression on someone who will read your application this fall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Although I have attended a previous event and visited, I have already signed up for the Madrid event. It wil lbe great to meet again with all those Spanish tuckies and, hopefully, get to meet some potential future classmates :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Time to start the grind again....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
GrantMeAdmission wrote:
Time to start the grind again....

Any movement on your waitlist GMA?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Club Spotlight: Tuck Investment Club

The Tuck Investment Club primarily serves students who are interested in careers in investment management, including hedge funds, mutual funds and other asset managers.  We also have members who are looking at finance more broadly as a career path and want to get more information about investing, market function and how to pitch an effective investment idea.

One of the Investment Club’s most popular activities is MBA stock pitch competitions. Each year, Tuck selects teams to attend investment pitch competitions at Cornell, UNC, UVA, Michigan Ross, UCLA and other venues where we compete against the best and the brightest at peer schools like Wharton, Booth, and Columbia.  Pitch competitions give students the opportunity for exposure to industry professionals, to receive constructive feedback from judges and to work on a team alongside other Tuck students.  The team formation process begins in late September, and first-year students should reach out to club chairs in early September to indicate interest.

The Investment Club doesn’t just pitch theoretical investment ideas- we also have an amazing resource in the student-directed investment fund known as Tuck Asset Management (TAM).  With nearly half a million dollars of capital, the fund is split into two strategies- equity long short (essentially a hedge fund) and a long-only pool of capital focused on longer term investment ideas.  First-year students who are interested can join the fund as an analyst and work on a sector team to generate ideas and monitor existing positions.  Second-years can continue with the fund in a senior analyst or Portfolio Manager role.  Next year, TAM will begin hiring a select group of Dartmouth undergraduates to serve as junior analysts, giving Tuck students the opportunity to mentor and direct junior members of their sector team.

As is common at Tuck, both TAM and the Investment Club benefit from many hands-on alumni who work at top financial institutions ranging from traditional asset managers to hedge funds and investment research firms.

Other activities the Investment Club is planning for 2014/15 include a mock portfolio trading challenge and a speaker series featuring prominent Tuck alumni from within the investment management industry. We look forward to meeting the T’16 class in the fall!

Rance Barber, Daniel Butterly, Michaela LeBlanc and Konstantin Nikolaev

T’15 Investment Club Co-chairs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
An interesting article:

Please don’t forget the “touchy-feely” aspect of your MBA application as it is important. See the news item from businessweek below:

Applying to top business schools can make applicants feel like faceless batches of test scores and résumé lines, but a recent report shows some MBA programs make aspiring students feel loved. Others, not so much.

The Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants, a professional organization, released its MBA Applicant Survey (PDF) last week, in which it asked more than 800 professionals applying to B-school about topics ranging from job hopes to salary expectations. When they asked applicants to rate how well schools got to know them during the admissions process, Dartmouth College’s Tuck School of Business and Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business earned the highest marks for the second straight year.

https://www.dreammba.com/second-blog-post/
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Beyond Tuck: Dartmouth Athletics and Carolyn Meyer

Carolyn Meyer, T’15 grew up in Wilton, CT.  She graduated from Hamilton College with a B.A. in economics and spent three years working for a consulting firm which specializes in CPG marketing.  This summer, Carolyn will be interning at Ocean Spray as an Assistant Marketing Manager where she will be eating a lot of cranberries. She is also a member of the Dartmouth women’s water polo team which won the New England Conference championship and competed in the National Championship in Geneva, Ohio.

Similar to Fanis, water polo was a sport that I loved and played growing up. During the summer, before starting at Tuck, I tried to look for information online on how to participate but couldn’t find any. But being the small world that Tuck is, I was connected to Fanis who enlisted me to join the women’s team. I couldn’t pass on the chance to get back in the pool. It is a much better alternative to treadmills and way more fun than going to the gym!

This was a great stress outlet, especially during recruiting. It also gave me a chance to share experiences with people who are not closely connected with life at Tuck and get a different perspective of our time in Hanover. However, it was difficult to balance the schedule at times, particularly with having to make trade-offs with the many Tuck social events and taking away much needed sleep on occasion because of late night practices.

The inclusive culture at Dartmouth and the desire and ability to connect between schools through faculty and students gives Tuckies access to many unique opportunities. The small and close Dartmouth network also limits the formal barriers to working on a project or playing on a team outside the immediate Tuck community. I just sent an email to the captains and joined the team on the pool deck the next day.

What was your favorite part of the of 1st year experience?

My favorite part of the 1st year was how easy it was to have small group events such as impromptu dinners and have a great time with anyone in the Tuck community including students, staff, and faculty. I loved adding to my costume box and actually using it all every weekend for the many socials on campus (at least when I’m actually at Tuck and not doing water polo things).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts