Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: NYU Stern (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: NYU Stern (S)
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: Stern PT Class of 2017 (Fall 2014 Matriculation) [#permalink]
My status check email said that they'd start sending out notifications in "early June" so I haven't even bothered to log into the site other than to make sure they had my address correct!

I guess some people will start hearing back as soon as next week. But since they said "early June," we can probably be on the lookout for something within the next couple of weeks!

focus24 wrote:
Anyone hear anything yet?? I think the stronger candidates may start hearing pretty soon..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Are there really only 9 people from this site that have applied? In past years theres been a lot more like 20+..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
That's what i've been curious about also.

The waiting is tough - especially with vacation coming up!

focus24 wrote:
Are there really only 9 people from this site that have applied? In past years theres been a lot more like 20+..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've been reading past year's forums. The interesting piece is that the amount of participation in these forums for the part-time program has decreased. The second interesting piece of information, is that the acceptance letters seem to be released in batches on Tuesday/Wednesday, with a good amount of acceptances released on June 11.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.39
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
There's been 2,446 views to this thread thus far. Adjusting for any duplicative viewers, I would imagine more than 9 of those applied.

Hopefully the first wave of acceptances will receive an update any day now?!

Best of luck!!! :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.68
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Hey folks,

New member here, was just googling info on the Stern PT admissions timeline and came upon this site. Applied on 3/23, got my application status check email on 5/16, and now patiently waiting for an answer like some of you it seems! :-) Good luck to everyone who applied!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Many of last years applicants received an acceptance on June 10th, which means some of this year's applicants may hear as early as this Monday or Tuesday.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I am planning to enroll in the part time MBA program at NYU for the academic year starting in 2015 and I am in the process of preparing my application for the same(GMAT,Recommendation letters and Essays etc...)
I have read in numerous blogs/websites and forums that NYU does not allow part time MBA students to participate in the on campus recruitment and that the OCR is strictly meant for Full time students.
Much as i would like not to believe so but I am looking to get some concrete information from a reliable source and therefore I am posting this topic in this forum.
Having been in the IT industry for over 10 years,I am now looking to completely switch career to a field that is non-technical and more of business oriented.
Can someone please advise if part time MBA is an appropriate medium to accomplish the goals that i have set for myself.
Can someone also please clarify the situation about the OCR for part time students.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.68
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
gmat072014 wrote:
I am planning to enroll in the part time MBA program at NYU for the academic year starting in 2015 and I am in the process of preparing my application for the same(GMAT,Recommendation letters and Essays etc...)
I have read in numerous blogs/websites and forums that NYU does not allow part time MBA students to participate in the on campus recruitment and that the OCR is strictly meant for Full time students.
Much as i would like not to believe so but I am looking to get some concrete information from a reliable source and therefore I am posting this topic in this forum.
Having been in the IT industry for over 10 years,I am now looking to completely switch career to a field that is non-technical and more of business oriented.
Can someone please advise if part time MBA is an appropriate medium to accomplish the goals that i have set for myself.
Can someone also please clarify the situation about the OCR for part time students.

That's correct. Part-time students don't have access to on-campus recruiting or the Office of Career Development, instead they have access to the Career Center for Working Professionals.

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/part-time-mba-nyc/career/career-center-working-professionals

Comparison between the programs: https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/part-time-mba-nyc/admissions/compare-mba-programs

Considering your goals, I believe the full-time program would be a better fit since it's meant for those looking to change industries or functional specialties, plus it gives access to OCR which seems to be an important factor for you. But if the opportunity cost is too great to do full-time, you can check the comparison chart and see if the other career services features offered by the part-time MBA program are enough for you to forgo the OCR. Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What you have heard about the career resources for the PT students is true, and as runnyc pointed out, this information is available all over their website.

I'd encourage you to attend one of their evening info sessions, especially because you'll have the opportunity to speak to current students and alumni. Stick around to the end, and you might even be able to ask them questions "off the record." Just don't sneak up on them in Starbucks like I did, lol.

From opinions I got from alums, I don't think it'd be too difficult to do a career switch, provided you're doing a minor switch--for example, I'm planning an advertising to marketing switch. But if it's drastic, you;ll definitely benefit from the internship.

gmat072014 wrote:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So lets say - I am switching from IT to strategy or business development/product development or corporate finance in an IT company(changing the field but within the same industry)
Is that a big switch?
How were you able to get in touch with the Alumni?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I wouldn't be able to really say, without knowing exactly what it is you do within "IT," but this is your career. You would need to evaluate if you think it is logical based on what you know about the field and what PT does and does not offer. If in fact you think it makes sense to go part-time, describing your logic could be excellent essay content.

I got in touch with six alums through LinkedIn. Two of them were in my sorority and also went to Stern. One works at my company and also went to Stern. Two were good friends with my brother and also went to Stern. One went to my undergrad and also went to Stern. I must've messaged ten alums with stuff in common with me, and got six of them to communicate with me regularly. Maybe try that?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I feel that the changes you describe fit perfectly within the goal of the part time program, which is to provide the business tools to advance in your career and/or shift to a leadership/business position within you company.

Like shoebunny, I contacted many friends and coworkers and obtained their feedback on whether I should pursue the degree. I also asked my manager and higher ups to see if this degree would benefit my career. When they said "absolutely" I knew that I need it to advance.

gmat072014 wrote:
So lets say - I am switching from IT to strategy or business development/product development or corporate finance in an IT company(changing the field but within the same industry)
Is that a big switch?
How were you able to get in touch with the Alumni?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks rontej0226 and ShoeBunny
one last question - were you guys using the 'Inmail' feature of LinkedIn to reach out to the Alumni?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was lucky in that I personally knew many Stern Part-Time alumni, including my new manager. I read many stories online of people contacting students that participate in student government or associations. They have been pretty successful. It doesn't hurt to try.

gmat072014 wrote:
one last question - were you guys using the 'Inmail' feature of LinkedIn to reach out to the Alumni?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
On another note...my coworker was sent an interview invitation today. Looks like the notifications are starting to come out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmat072014 wrote:

I don't remember using "in-mail." For a couple of them, I had so many common links, the messages were open--or maybe their settings were open? Not sure how LinkedIn works, but all I had to do was send a message. For a couple others, I had to go through the contact who knew them already and ask them to put me in touch. For the one that works at my job, even though she's pretty senior, I figured I had nothing to lose so I just walked into her office and introduced myself. I take the open-door thing pretty literally!

rontej0226 wrote:
On another note...my coworker was sent an interview invitation today. Looks like the notifications are starting to come out.

That's exciting! And now that I know this, let the incessant "ctrl-R" begin. :) When is your coworker's interview?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts