Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1711 [64]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [15]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [8]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Probability and Combinatorics (700-800 Level) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with assigned seating tickets for exactly 4 seats in a special section. The first person to arrive loses his ticket stub after entry but remembers the section and sits randomly in one of the 4 seats. After that, each person arrives and takes his or her assigned seat in the section if it is unoccupied, and one of the unoccupied seats at random otherwise. What is the probability that the last person to arrive gets to sit in his assigned seat?

(A) 1/4
(B) 3/8
(C) 1/2
(D) 5/8
(E) 3/4

*Source Veritas Free Online Question Bank

I'm trying to use complementary probability but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

OA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: 4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with [#permalink]
@desaichinmay22, great answer..

I was trying hard, but the point I missed was if A by chance sat in his own place, then B and C will also sit in their own places, thus leaving D to sit in his own place.. the randomness comes only when A does not sit in his place.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Can one of the moderators explain this in more detail?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
According to me, the probability of a, b, c or d occupying their assigned seats is 1/2. (because they can either occupy seats assigned to them, or one of the non-assigned seats). So, probability of D occupying assigned seat is 1/2 (for that matter, probability of any one occupying his or her assigned seats is 1/2).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
desaichinmay22 wrote:
francoimps wrote:
4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with assigned seating tickets for exactly 4 seats in a special section. The first person to arrive loses his ticket stub after entry but remembers the section and sits randomly in one of the 4 seats. After that, each person arrives and takes his or her assigned seat in the section if it is unoccupied, and one of the unoccupied seats at random otherwise. What is the probability that the last person to arrive gets to sit in his assigned seat?

(A) 1/4
(B) 3/8
(C) 1/2
(D) 5/8
(E) 3/4

I'm trying to use complementary probability but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

OA

Let us assume that there are a,b,c and d individuals. a is the first one to arrive at concert and d is the last one to arrive at concert.
If a sits on his assigned seat, then b and c will also occupy their assigned seats and d will get to sit on his assigned seat.
Probability of a occupying his assigned seat=1/4

If a doesn't occupy his assigned seat, then b will have to occupy seat of either a or c and c will have to occupy the seat that is not assigned to d from the remaining two.
Probability of happening this event=3/4*2/3*1/2=1/4

Total probability=1/4+1/4=1/2

Ans=C

Not clear on a few of your assumptions highlighted above. If a sits on correct seat , b and c could sit on each other's seat i.e. incorrect seat. However then d will sit on correct seat. Alternatively b and c could also sit on correct seats thereby all four sitting on correct seats.

So for basically d to be sitting in correct seat below are the combinations possible
a) all four correct seats
b) two correct and two incorrect seats.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with [#permalink]
Kudos
desaichinmay22 wrote:
francoimps wrote:

(A) 1/4
(B) 3/8
(C) 1/2
(D) 5/8
(E) 3/4

OA

Let us assume that there are a,b,c and d individuals. a is the first one to arrive at concert and d is the last one to arrive at concert.
If a sits on his assigned seat, then b and c will also occupy their assigned seats and d will get to sit on his assigned seat.
Probability of a occupying his assigned seat=1/4

If a doesn't occupy his assigned seat, then b will have to occupy seat of either a or c and c will have to occupy the seat that is not assigned to d from the remaining two.
Probability of happening this event=3/4*2/3*1/2=1/4

Total probability=1/4+1/4=1/2

Ans=C

Can someone explain why the probability of A not selecting his assigned seat will be 3/4 when we want to ensure D gets to sit on his assigned seat? I am thinking 3/4 should be when A can select any of the 3 seats, besides the one he is assigned to. This includes the possibility that A CAN select D's seat as well. However, we are looking for cases where D gets to sit on his assigned seat so shouldn't second scenario be when A selects either B or C's seat (2/4); AND B selects either of the 2 remaining besides D (2/3); AND C selects the remaining seat besides D (1/2)

Which should lead to -> 2/4*2/3*1/2

Final answer 1/4 + 1/6 = 5/12?

where am I going wrong?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Seems like the scenarios are simple enough to do a decision tree:

Add the following scenarios where the last person gets the correct seat:

The probability that the first person took the correct seat: 1/4

The probability that the first person took the seat of the 3rd person to arrive, the 2nd person takes their own seat, and the 3rd person takes the seat of the first person: 1/4*1/1*1/2=1/8

The probability that the first person took the seat of the 2nd person, the 2nd person takes the seat of the first person, and the 3rd person takes his correct seat: 1/4*1/3*1/1=1/12

The probability that the first person took the seat of the 2nd person, the 2nd person takes the seat of the 3rd person, and the 3rd person takes the seat of the first person: 1/4*1/3*1/2=1/24

1/4+1/8+1/12+1/24=6/24+3/24+2/24+1/24=12/24 or 1/2
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
akhil911 wrote:

A. 1/4
B. 3/8
C. 1/2
D. 5/8
E. 3/4

This problem came in veritas prep and i was stumped by this problem.
Would appreciate if someone is able to show how to solve this problem.

Kudos me if you like the question !!!!

You can also use the process of elimination in this question.

Say there are four people P1, P2, P3 and P4 depending on who arrives first, second etc. They have their assigned seats S1, S2, S3 and S4.

The probability of P1 occupying S1 is 1/4 - in this case P4 will get S4 (Probability 1/4)

The probability of P1 occupying S4 is 1/4 - in this case P4 will not get S4 (Probability 1/4)

The probability of P1 occupying S3 is 1/4 - in this case P3 will take either S1 or S4, both with probability 1/2.
So there is 1/8 probability that P4 will get S4 and 1/8 probability that P4 will not get S4.

Note that 1/4 + 1/8 = 3/8 and you have the case leftover where P1 takes S2.
So the probability of P4 getting S4 will be more than 3/8 and less than 5/8.

The only answer is 1/2

Answer (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos