Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3462 [100]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [16]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are kn [#permalink]
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.

if other than Cannabinoids stimulates the appetite, the resercher would have not found chamically injected mice not having intreset in feeding.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are kn [#permalink]
Kudos
HIMALAYA wrote:
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.

if other than Cannabinoids stimulates the appetite, the resercher would have not found chamically injected mice not having intreset in feeding.

I disagree. Talking from a researcher's point of view, the mice would still have access to the mother's milk. A standard technique to study the actions of a substance is to block it using an inhibitor of the substance in study. One of the main concerns is the effects that the inhibitor may have by itself. So, E is the logical answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
singh_amit19 wrote:
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoides from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their
mothers’ milk.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.

E.

A: this was my contendor til I read E. But its weak.
B: this assumption is too extreme.
C: irrelevant
D: Irrelevant

E suggests that possibly the chemical was the cause. If this were the case the argument would be weakend. So E it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [4]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
My explanation:

E

Scenario
Two Groups of Mice
Group 1: the control group and had no chemical blocking cannabinoids.
Group 2: Had the chemical.

Result
Group 2 showed less interest in eating therefore cannabinoids function is stimulating appetite.

Negation of E: However, what if the chemical used in blocking cannabinoids by itself blocked the appetite? Then, this invalidates the experiment and thus the argument, and we can't say that cannabinoids stimulates appetite, because the chemical would be the one responsible for blocking the appetite.

Moderators, please change the OA to E according to Stacey's reply here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/cr- ... -t682.html.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q43 V31
Send PM
I got the correct answer. But I am still not exactly clear as to how can B and C be eliminated. Can someone please explain in simple language preferably with an example?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sam2016 wrote:
I got the correct answer. But I am still not exactly clear as to how can B and C be eliminated. Can someone please explain in simple language preferably with an example?

When cannabinoids are blocked from reaching their receptors in the brains of injected mice, those mice show less interest in feeding. The author thus concludes that "cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite." If that conclusion is valid, it would explain why appetite decreases when the cannabinoids are blocked.

Quote:
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite.

The author concludes that cannabinoids probably stimulate the appetite but not that cannabinoids are the ONLY substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite. For example, perhaps there are a couple other compounds in the milk that stimulate the appetite. Still, if one of those substances is blocked, we would expect appetite to decrease. Thus, the author's argument does not rely on choice (B).

Quote:
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.

Again, the author concludes that cannabinoids probably stimulate the appetite but not that cannabinoids are the ONLY factor affecting appetite. Perhaps mothers of newborn mice DO normally make efforts to encourage their babies to feed. Those efforts AND the cannabinoids could both serve to increase appetite. If either factor is removed, we would expect appetite to decrease. The author's argument does not rely on the assumption stated in choice (C).

I hope this helps! (And is anybody impressed that I refrained from making a dumb, obvious joke about cannabis and my home state of Colorado? I didn't think so...)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.31
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I solved this problem using the negation technique on answer choice E.

E. The chemical ... does not independently inhibit the appetite.

If we negate this answer choice, it would say that the chemical DOES independently inhibit the appetite. If that were the case, it would weaken our conclusion because ingesting the chemical would cause appetite loss regardless of how it affects cannabinoids. We would not be able to conclude that cannabinoids have an affect on appetite because the chemical causes appeite loss independently, which is something that would weaken our conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi avigutman IanStewart - i did get the answer but did have a followup. Same argument, one very small tweak

Quote:
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoids from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed very litte interest ZERO interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite.

Question - wouldnt in this case - B also be an assumption ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman IanStewart - i did get the answer but did have a followup regarding this line, specifically far less interest

Quote:
..........The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do.

Question - from above line -- can one infer that there are other compounds (other than cannabinoids) that stimulate appetite ?

Reason i say this is because if cannabinoid WAS the only appetite stimulant and the inhibitor blocked cannabinoids -- wouldn't the injected mice have ZERO appetite ?

No, from the part "far less interest" it cannot be inferred that there are other compounds (other than cannabinoids) that stimulate appetite. There may be factors other than compounds that stimulate appetite, for examle, voluntary activities such as running or involuntary activities such as beating of the heart. So even if the cannaboids are blocked, and they are the only appetite stimulant compound, the mice could still have some appetite remaining caused by factors other than compounds.

Only if you assume that compounds are the ONLY apetite stimulating factor, then your inference might be correct.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman IanStewart - i did get the answer but did have a followup regarding this line, specifically far less interest

Quote:
..........The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do.

Question - from above line -- can one infer that there are other compounds (other than cannabinoids) that stimulate appetite ?

Reason i say this is because if cannabinoid WAS the only appetite stimulant and the inhibitor blocked cannabinoids -- wouldn't the injected mice have ZERO appetite ?

No, from the part "far less interest" it cannot be inferred that there are other compounds (other than cannabinoids) that stimulate appetite. There may be factors other than compounds that stimulate appetite, for examle, voluntary activities such as running or involuntary activities such as beating of the heart. So even if the cannaboids are blocked, and they are the only appetite stimulant compound, the mice could still have some appetite remaining caused by factors other than compounds.

Only if you assume that compounds are the ONLY apetite stimulating factor, then your inference might be correct.

Thanks sayantanc2k - I had changed my original post completely but thank you for responding to the original post.

I think what you are saying is - from the below line

Quote:

One cannot assume that there must be OTHER compounds that stimulate appetite. Perhaps Cannabinoid is still the ONLY compound that stimulates appetite(because Running could also stimulate appetite)

Regrding the yellow -- if we this additional assumption - compounds are the only appetite stimulants -- then maybe my inference (OTHER compounds other Cannabinoid must be stimulating appetite) is probably true.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Only if you assume that compounds are the ONLY appetite stimulating factor, then your inference might be correct.

Regarding the yellow -- if we this additional assumption - compounds are the only appetite stimulants -- then maybe my inference (OTHER compounds other Cannabinoid must be stimulating appetite) is probably true.

I would argue that such an inference is still a stretch even with the additional assumption. Here's the definition of "stimulate":
raise levels of physiological or nervous activity in (the body or any biological system)
If there exists a base level of appetite which is greater than zero, your inference would be incorrect, jabhatta2.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

Thanks sayantanc2k - I had changed my original post completely but thank you for responding to the original post.

I think what you are saying is - from the below line

Quote:

One cannot assume that there must be OTHER compounds that stimulate appetite. Perhaps Cannabinoid is still the ONLY compound that stimulates appetite(because Running could also stimulate appetite)

Regrding the yellow -- if we this additional assumption - compounds are the only appetite stimulants -- then maybe my inference (OTHER compounds other Cannabinoid must be stimulating appetite) is probably true.

Please see the explanation from avigutman above. Even with the additional assumption, we cannot infer that the apetite level is ZERO - we can at most assume that there is no increase in apetite. It is possible that there is always a base level of apetite irrespective of any stimulus, either from compounds or otherwise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
The argument presented in the passage is that cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite. This conclusion is based on the observation that when newborn mice were injected with a chemical that blocks cannabinoids from reaching their receptors in the brain, they showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do.

Option E states that "The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite." This is an assumption on which the argument depends because if the chemical used to block cannabinoids independently inhibited the appetite, then the observed decrease in feeding behavior could be due to the chemical itself rather than the blocking of cannabinoids. In other words, if option E were not true, then the conclusion that cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite would be weakened.

Option A states that "Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their mothers' milk." This is not an assumption on which the argument depends because even if newborn mice ingested other substances, it would not affect the conclusion that cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Option B states that "Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite." This is not an assumption on which the argument depends because even if there were other substances in mammals' milk that stimulated the appetite, it would not affect the conclusion that cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Option C states that "The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed." This is not an assumption on which the argument depends because even if mothers of newborn mice made efforts to encourage their babies to feed, it would not affect the conclusion that cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Option D states that "The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids." This is not an assumption on which the argument depends because even if milk were less nutritious without cannabinoids, it would not affect the conclusion that cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts