Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
For those not aware, poetsandquants is another interesting b-school website. Anyway, I found a link to this blog yesterday from the website. The blog is about life post-mba. This specific article is about life pre-loans:https://postmbalife.com/10-things-i-wish-id-known-about-getting-and-mba-before-i-took-out-my-school-loans/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
I just registered for the military symposium this year in October on campus. I went last year with my wife to get my first look at the campus/program and to meet the staff and students. We were absolutely blown away! My wife will be joining me again this year. Is anybody else active duty military or a veteran and plan on attending the event?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey Folks,
I am applying for Duke MBA-Day Time Program, super nervous :) i am based out of Bangalore.
Any tips ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
stevenfuqua wrote:
Good luck everyone! Look forward to seeing folks soon

Same. Good luck everyone.

Although I've been here for only a few days (did a pre-term course and just got done with orientation), I love both Durham and Fuqua already. Team Fuqua is amazing and I can't speak highly enough about the great folks that I have in my class.

P.S - you may message me for any help. It's going to get crazy soon, so expect a little delay. Also, please avoid questions like - what's the deadline for R1 or what are my chances of getting in. Be specific wherever possible, and I'd be happy to provide an objective opinion.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
I am applying in the EA round.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
stevenfuqua wrote:
Good luck everyone! Look forward to seeing folks soon

Same. Good luck everyone.

Although I've been here for only a few days (did a pre-term course and just got done with orientation), I love both Durham and Fuqua already. Team Fuqua is amazing and I can't speak highly enough about the great folks that I have in my class.

P.S - you may message me for any help. It's going to get crazy soon, so expect a little delay. Also, please avoid questions like - what's the deadline for R1 or what are my chances of getting in. Be specific wherever possible, and I'd be happy to provide an objective opinion.

Cheers!

Hope to meet you soon when we all get back to campus. I'm looking forward to a relaxing year 2 :-D

If anyone has any specific blog post requests, I'd be happy to entertain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.35
WE:Accounting (Health Care)
Send PM
In for R1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Duke '17 (A$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by BSchool85 on 06 Aug 2014, 12:50.
Last edited by BSchool85 on 30 Dec 2016, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Preliminary Report Digs Into Fuqua Career Statistics
We will continue to collect information through early fall for the final employment report on the Duke MBA Classes of 2014 (full-time) and 2015 (intern).  In the meantime, I wanted to share some preliminary data and interesting trends.

The themes of diversification, personalization, and complexity are increasingly prevalent for our students and employers. Duke MBA students have highly diverse interests, and they want and need customized ways to navigate a relatively robust yet complex job market. Employers’ specific talent needs are reflected in their recruiting processes and the competition to capture student attention is high.

Our goal is to satisfy both student and employer priorities and to grow Duke’s brand in the global job market, which benefits both current students and alumni. Fuqua and the Career Management Center (CMC) team will continue to strengthen their networks in the U.S. and globally, with not only large employers but also small to medium-sized businesses and start-up companies, across key industries and functions.

For additional insights and career trends from last year, please read excerpts from the CMC annual report for 2013 – 2014.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
stevenfuqua wrote:
I'm looking forward to a relaxing year 2 :-D
LoL, don't buy the SY propaganda. Fall semester is probably the hardest one, unless you already got a return offer and plan to go back. Spring will be better, especially if you go study abroad. Enjoy your SY.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
asimov wrote:
stevenfuqua wrote:
I'm looking forward to a relaxing year 2 :-D
LoL, don't buy the SY propaganda. Fall semester is probably the hardest one, unless you already got a return offer and plan to go back. Spring will be better, especially if you go study abroad. Enjoy your SY.

Hey now, don't shatter my dreams. At least we get to pick our own teams..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Hey, all. Here is a great post by our own stevenfuqua about why he chose Duke: https://www.stevensma.com/2014/08/why-i- ... asons.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello
is anyone from India attending the Info session this weekend in Bangalore ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Anyone planning to attend the info-session in Mumbai on 20th august Wednesday(Bandra Taj Land's End). Although I decided not to apply for 2 year mba I think I might just visit to get the Duke feel.

How about you guys? Anyone going? Lets catch up if you are.

PM me!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Looking Back on Two Years of Growth and Fun

Guest Blogger: Aviv Canaani at his graduation with the Class of 2014

Sadly, it’s over. After two amazing years, I’ve now officially graduated.

It’s funny to think that three years ago I was contemplating whether to apply to schools in Europe that offered 1-year MBA programs. It seemed more efficient. Going back to school sounded depressing. Why would I want to do in two years, something I could do in one? Following that logic could have been a horrible mistake. I can now attest that these two years at Fuqua were among the best years of my life.

After working for a few years in the Israeli political system, I felt it was time for a change. In my last role, I was working as a director of communications for an Israeli Parliament Member who was serving in the finance committee. I loved what I was doing, but I felt I had much more to learn in two specific topics: business, to better understand finance and the private sector; and marketing, which would be the natural next step in my career following my work in communications.

Dean Boulding and me, dressed as him for the Stache Bash

Comparing business schools, I knew I wanted a school that had strong marketing faculty. Therefore, once I was accepted to Fuqua, the decision was easy. With world renowned faculty such as Christine Moorman, Gavan Fitzsimons, Carl Mela and of course Dan Ariely, who is a household name in Israel, it was obvious why Fuqua is considered a top business school for marketing. After two years at Fuqua, I can’t stress enough how much I learned from these professors. This was not only in class, but also in personal conversations I had with them, where they gave me valuable advice about following a career in marketing.

I remember during orientation, Dean Bill Boulding, also a professor for Marketing, spoke to us for the first time and explained how Fuqua is a place where “we take our work seriously, but not ourselves.” Little did he know how literally I would take that remark by the end of my second year when I dressed up as him, including his famous grey goatee, for the school’s Stache Bash tradition.

As I mentioned, I came to Fuqua to learn more about business and marketing, but as you learn from day one at Fuqua, this is not a transactional experience, but a transformational journey. Indeed, I studied finance, operations, accounting and other classes you would assume every business school has, and yes, I feel more competent in understanding the business world thanks to these classes. Nevertheless, learning the material itself is only a small portion of what I learned at Business school. At Fuqua, you don’t just learn, you experience.

My ILE team

I experienced teamwork, working with my Integrated Leadership Experience (ILE) team from day one through the first two terms. I also continued working on teams for most of the classes I took afterwards.

I experienced diversity as well as community, working with highly talented people from a variety of different backgrounds, functions and industries. I am certain that I will stay friends with many of them for the rest of my life.

One of our holiday celebrations

I experienced persistence, deciding for the first time in my life to prioritize my physical health by participating in, and eventually winning, the Fuqua Fit challenge where I lost 19 pounds in one month.

I experienced leadership, serving as the co-president of Fuqua Speaks, a student-run club that focuses on improving public speaking abilities, and was also as the VP of Marketing for the High Tech Club. These experiences were key in developing my leadership skills, which came into practice when I initiated and co-led a 10-day trip to Israel for 44 of my classmates during Spring Break of my 2nd year at Fuqua. The gratification I got from it was totally worth all the hard work I put in it.

In conclusion, if you decide to go to business school, why not do it in a place that is going to help you grow as a person and also will be a lot of fun?

Follow guest blogger Aviv @avivdc

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [8]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
So here goes my learning from Duke Info-session in Mumbai. I went as a gmatclub member more than a prospective student(since my focus is a one year MBA) so I guess I might have missed a few points.

All in all a very nice info-session. I believe the session goes in a very enriching direction if the school representative is an Alum(Jake from Fuqua 2011 batch).

Many of us reached before time so the Alum(Harshal) started engaging us with his stories and started taking questions. I should say there were very few funny questions, most of the people in info session were well researched. I had no idea about Fuqua but after 2 hours I took back quite a few things home.

Some information about the informal q&a session.

1. Being down south in the US, how people manage to network: Here Harshal spoke about Business cases, Internship events, networking opportunities through club visit. there are loads of companies coming to sniff out talent at Fuqua.

2. Career change is a very common thing post Fuqua, all the alums came from diverse industries and gave personal stories on how they changed their careers after Fuqua.

Official Presentation(Jake)

1. TEAM FUQUA : This was the them, Jake mentioned you might get sick of hearing this term on campus but also you will start living it. He showed picture of the 15 foot wall which everyone needs to climb at the start of the term(this is without any support or holders in the wall). A brilliant team building exercise.

2. 40 percent of the class is international, so there is lot of diversity. Harshal spoke about how diverse the study groups were during his time. And there were no two people from same country/same industry in the study group

3. Fuqua is very proud of its faculty, they have all the reason to be. Ranked number 1 in the world by bloomsberg

4. Think tanks: Research center, outside speaker. Companies coming on campus with real life problems and Fuqua students are exposed to those.

5. Jake mentioned his personal example of how he did an internship in Kenya and how team Fuqua was connected via social media during some unrest while he was there. The concept of Team Fuqua goes beyond classroom. He mentioned during school he got to experience Emerging Market, International Development and Consulting through his internship.

6. There were several discussions on Experiential learning, FCCP, GATE, Startup challenge(You can find more about these on their website)

7. Leadership seminar by renowned basketball coach Mike K.(Duke lives and breathes basketball so you cannot ignore it once you are at Fuqua)

8. All big companies come to Fuqua but time and again Jake was stressing thats not the only path and he quoted there are many people who are attracted by these companies but develop their own career path which does not involve the big blue chip companies.

9. Anuj(another alum) gave examples of how people from different country managed to land role in Branding, Retail Marketing( a general consensus was its tough to get into Brand Management within US if you are not from US but its not impossible)

10 Anuj also gave an example of Team Fuqua experience and how he was driven by 50-60 different people when he broke his collar bone and was not able to drive.

11. Every year 200-300 alums come to Fuqua for the alumni convention.

12. Average Age 29, Average Work ex 5.

13. For Indians there was a big discussion: Indian are second only to US student in terms of making up for the class size. Average 80 % GMAT range for Indian( Not official) 700-750, For the entire class(640-740).

14 Jake mentioned the importance of Optional essay to explain stuff, make it as concise as possible and deal with gaps in your profile. Don't treat optional essay as one of the achievement essays. State facts in optional essays. He said his personal preference while reading optional essays was Bullet points facts.

15. Discussion on two year vs 1 year(I controlled myself during this discussion :))

16. Lot of question on diverse industries, Social Impact, Media : There is a guy in current batch who wants to get into Bollywood Management(That's something: Bollywood is Indian(Mumbai) film industry)

I left 10 mins before the session ended during the Q&A session. All in all a very good experience met a few GMATclub members too :). Please chip in guys if i missed anything.(Took notes on phone)

Good stuff
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts