Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Dejected with Verbal - Help needed ! [#permalink]
bschool2k15 wrote:
Hi,

So, I am not really sure how this works, but I am a very serious candidate for GMAT. My target score is to clock around 750, since I need to apply to the top 10. I see people writing V37, does that mean they are actually getting 37 questions right out of 41 in Verbal? Because, if that's the case, I am supposedly doomed.

I have trouble with Verbal, something that peeves me, since I have clocked a 700/800 on GRE once, and 99.2 percentile in Verbal CAT (the Indian version of GMAT).

Critical Reasoning: I am following the Manhattan Strategy Guide for CR . As of now, I have completed the problem sets of Manhattan and have attempted the OG questions. My accuracy rate for CR is around 75 - 80%. So, is it a good accuracy rate? I would love to take it up to 90%, if not 100, so well, any suggestions?

Sentence Correction: I followed the SC Grail for SC and I am right now, working on the Manhattan strategy guide. My SC accuracy rate is a steadfast 70%, which according to me is pretty low. A friend of mine, wrote the GMAT last year and got a 740. According to him, SC questions shouldn't go wrong. Is he correct ?

RC: I am pretty much dependent on the novels and the newspaper that I read. Would start practicing this section soon.

I will write my GMAT on the 6th September and really, really want to fix these issues.

Some one please help !

Thanks,
Cornered Aspirant

I have a similar problem with the SC part and my GMAT is earlier-20th Aug.

I wanted to know,if there could be a level of accuracy in SC,that could
be targeted.For example,one can expect a 100% accuracy in 600+ questions while,maybe a 70-80% accuracy for 700+ might be enough.
Hopefully if I can reach this accuracy level,I can cross V40,as I feel I am doing reasonably well in RC and CR.

Also,I have been practising from the OG as well as the OG for Verbal Review 2nd Ed.Is there any
way of segregating the SC questions based on difficulty in those books,so that i practice more
of the 700+ questions.
I saw someone mention in this topic,that the current OG is not quite representative of the SC questions that come up in the GMAT.
Could you tell me from where i can get questions that will reasonably be similar to the GMAT.I need a lot of practice on SC,so I need some sort of a SC question bank.

Waiting for your replies.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DebWenger wrote:

I have a similar problem with the SC part and my GMAT is earlier-20th Aug.

I wanted to know,if there could be a level of accuracy in SC,that could
be targeted.For example,one can expect a 100% accuracy in 600+ questions while,maybe a 70-80% accuracy for 700+ might be enough.
Hopefully if I can reach this accuracy level,I can cross V40,as I feel I am doing reasonably well in RC and CR.

Also,I have been practising from the OG as well as the OG for Verbal Review 2nd Ed.Is there any
way of segregating the SC questions based on difficulty in those books,so that i practice more
of the 700+ questions.
I saw someone mention in this topic,that the current OG is not quite representative of the SC questions that come up in the GMAT.
Could you tell me from where i can get questions that will reasonably be similar to the GMAT.I need a lot of practice on SC,so I need some sort of a SC question bank.

Waiting for your replies.

Try out our free question bank. You will get the latest in SC problems there: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-question-bank/

Other than our SC book, you can also search this forum for 700 level SC problems.

90-100% accuracy in 600+ level questions and about 70% in 700+ level questions should be enough if you are very comfortable with the other two - RC and CR.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Karishma for the resources provided. :) :)

So,essentially what it means,is if I'm practicing,say sets of 5 questions of 600/medium difficult,i should have an accuracy of atleast 4.
And for hard/700+ ,roughly,i should get at least 3 correct out of 5.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DebWenger wrote:

So,essentially what it means,is if I'm practicing,say sets of 5 questions of 600/medium difficult,i should have an accuracy of atleast 4.

Yes, that's about right... give or take...
But keep in mind that the other two - RC and CR - should be solid.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
DebWenger wrote:

Could u please provide a similar cutoff for the QA section.
Like what sort of accuracy should I maintain for 600+ DS questions and for 700+ DS questions to achieve a 50+ score in QA.I'm always struggling in the 47/48 region and don't seem to break the 50 barrier! :stupid :stupid
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DebWenger wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
DebWenger wrote:

Could u please provide a similar cutoff for the QA section.
Like what sort of accuracy should I maintain for 600+ DS questions and for 700+ DS questions to achieve a 50+ score in QA.I'm always struggling in the 47/48 region and don't seem to break the 50 barrier! :stupid :stupid

Most of the 600+ questions should be correct (barring some silly mistake somewhere). For 700+ questions, around 60-70% accuracy should be there. Mind you, these are extremely vague figures. I am giving them to you only because you asked for an idea. The only thing these figures convey is that you cannot have most of 700+ level questions wrong and still score Q50.
GMAT Club Bot